Seeking advice and warranty info - Johnson Films

Guest ColKurtz

Guest ColKurtz

Hi. It seems like this forum is mostly for installers, but it's been very useful reading all of the opinions here the past few weeks, and I'd like to see if you can give me some advice on my situation.

I just got a 2007 Honda Pilot LX. The windows come with basically no tint, and I've been looking into getting 35 (legal in NC) on the front and 20 on the backs. I found a guy who will do the whole vehicle for $240 - Greystone 40 on the fronts and 20 on the backs (I have an internal XM antenna and NAV system, so I'm avoiding metallic. I'd love ceramic but it seems out of my price range at this point. So it seems I'm looking at a good dyed film).

This guy says he's been tinting for 6 years, and has had his own shop for 2. I have no reason to doubt him I guess, though the BBB listing (no complaints) entry shows 2006, and his website wasn't registered until 2006. But he seems to be a good compromise between the guaranteed-to-purple $150 quotes I got calling a few places, and the $380 quotes I got calling the big shops the dealerships referred me to.

I guess my biggest question is about Johnson's warranty. Johnson has some vague 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, and Greystone has a "limited lifetime warranty", but I don't see the terms spelled out on the website. Can anyone clarify the terms for me -- this tinter said I can take it to any Johnson dealer and they will fix it for free. If you were Johnson dealer and I came to you 3 years down the road with discoloring or bubbling (I'm guessing fading is not covered), would you fix the problem free-of-charge?

Also, any reason (from a consumer point of view) to avoid Greystone?

TIA

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Johnsons "limited" lifetime warranty is the same as every other mfg. warranty, If at anytime you own the vehicle, and your film "fails" it is replaced for free, some shops will do warranty work on other dealers installs and some will not.

When I used to use Johnsons film, they sent a few people to me that had relocated to AZ and I did warranty work for them, johnsons supplied me the film, and I did the work.

Where in NC are you located? there are a few guys on here from NC that could possibly help you out as well.

I hope that answered your question about warrantys.

Good Luck with getting your vehicle tinted, type of film is 25% of it shop ability is the other 75% of it.

If you get a good shop, you won't need to worry about the film.

BTW :poop to the board :poop

Guest Key West
Hi. It seems like this forum is mostly for installers, but it's been very useful reading all of the opinions here the past few weeks, and I'd like to see if you can give me some advice on my situation.

I just got a 2007 Honda Pilot LX. The windows come with basically no tint, and I've been looking into getting 35 (legal in NC) on the front and 20 on the backs. I found a guy who will do the whole vehicle for $240 - Greystone 40 on the fronts and 20 on the backs (I have an internal XM antenna and NAV system, so I'm avoiding metallic. I'd love ceramic but it seems out of my price range at this point. So it seems I'm looking at a good dyed film).

This guy says he's been tinting for 6 years, and has had his own shop for 2. I have no reason to doubt him I guess, though the BBB listing (no complaints) entry shows 2006, and his website wasn't registered until 2006. But he seems to be a good compromise between the guaranteed-to-purple $150 quotes I got calling a few places, and the $380 quotes I got calling the big shops the dealerships referred me to.

I guess my biggest question is about Johnson's warranty. Johnson has some vague 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, and Greystone has a "limited lifetime warranty", but I don't see the terms spelled out on the website. Can anyone clarify the terms for me -- this tinter said I can take it to any Johnson dealer and they will fix it for free. If you were Johnson dealer and I came to you 3 years down the road with discoloring or bubbling (I'm guessing fading is not covered), would you fix the problem free-of-charge?

Also, any reason (from a consumer point of view) to avoid Greystone?

TIA

This reply applies to ANY film MFGR, not just Johnsons. With that established:

100% Customer satsfaction. :poop Thats a RELATIVE thing. I don't believe that 100% of the people can be 100% satisfied. You paid over 5 digits for your car without a lifetime warranty, and your car is not perfect. You do, however, expect to pay ---.XX dollars for tint, and want a "LIFETIME" warranty. Let me clue you in. NOTHING lasts forever. BUT in your case about warranty issues, you get a lifetime warranty, and expect that warranty to be honored, hassle free. As well you should. BUT there are variables. Be aware that most manufacturers of film give dealers a "film replacement" only with little or no labor costs. I understand this as a dealer, and since I offer a lifetime warranty, I will replace the jobs I do regardless. BUT should a custy come to me with a warranty issue for a job done at another shop, I am in NO WAY legally obligated to honor that warranty. Morally, maybe, but my distrubitor will still sell me film regardless.

The guy who did the job originally should honor that warranty no questions asked. But should that dealer no longer be available, you might have an issue.

As a SunGard dealer, I will replace warranty jobs that were done at another shop, IF THAT SHOP is no longer available. The reason for this is You get your car re-tinted and move on, a happy custy. I am out not only the film and labor, but I now get to file the claim. Assuming your reciept/warranty card has roll#s on it, I send a copy of your paperwork and some of the failed film to the MFGR. After they approve it, I get to wait for the "REPLACEMENT" film, or recieve credit towards my next order. I am out the labor it took to strip the car, and the labor on re-tinting your car. Since I did not do the original job, do you think thats fair? So, if your original shop is no longer around, you may in all likelyhood have a problem. Alot of us here on this board handle these warranty claims regardless, but in no way are we obligated to do so. So work with us, OK?

THAT is why it is important to deal with an established Tinter. I work out of my home/garage. I have been in business for A LONG time. I am established and have references. On the other hand, during this time I have seen shops with "Storefronts" come and go. The best deal is not ALWAYS the cheapest price. In fact, it seldom is.

But all of this is irrelevant if you do not have an issue with the film. If this dealer is reputable, and carries truly lifetime film, then no worries. The film should outlast the car.

1) Assuming you have a warranty issue down the road, the original installer (provided that shop is still around) should do the warranty work, no questions asked.

To answer your most important question, YES, I'd handle it, hoping that you'll remember it. But be aware that under no circumstances is another Johnsons dealer legally obligated to do so. The problem lies in what MOST MFGRs will do for the dealer. Nobody likes to do free work. Make sure to get a bonafide warranty card, with film type, and roll #s and dealer name. THAT IS the single most important thing. Without that, yer screwed. This is with ANY film mfgr, not just johnsons. I can think of no reason to avoid johnsons, alot of people use it and like it.

Hope this helps. :poop

Guest ColKurtz

Thanks for the replies. Key West - that's excactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was wondering if, in the event the Johnson guy I'm talking to closes shop, what kind of incentive was in it for some other Johnson dealer to fix it? I wasn't sure if you were compensated for labor somehow, or got penalized by the manufacturer somehow for rejecting claims, or if it was really up to the other tinter whether to do warranty work, etc.

So it's good to know that, while not obligated to do so, I can probably find someone to fix problems under warranty if my guy disappears. Now that I know that, depending on the situation, I might tip him for honoring something he technically doesn't have to do.

Where in NC are you located? there are a few guys on here from NC that could possibly help you out as well.

I'm in Raleigh, NC (Cary/Apex, actually). I'd really prefer to stay in the Triangle area. I see only one local shop in my area in the Shops section (TVP). I think I called them and was quoted $340+, but I called a lot of places so maybe I'm mistaken. The guy I've been talking to was the first one to quote me a reasonable deal on good film, and I'm all for supporting people breaking into their own business.... so I'm personally inclined to give him my business but if someone can give me a good deal (especially on ceramic) and has a longer established shop then I would have to consider. PM me if interested.

Thanks again for the helpful info. I would very much be in the dark if not for this forum.

Guest mhun9180

Don't worry too much. They'll find someone to re-do it down the track if you have problems. The 100% satisfaction guarantee is great for the consumer, because if you feel, for any reason, the tint isn't up to scratch, then it is covered. Peace of mind if you ask me. The Greystone is a real nice looking film and is very color stable. I've got it on my vehicle and haven't had any probs for the last two years. The only down side is it's heat rejection. A little low but it is a dyed film. Ashame you couldn't go the ceramic route. :beer Good luck with it and don't worry about the warranty, because at the end of the day it is backed by the factory so it becomes their problem not yours. :beer

The problem lies in what MOST MFGRs will do for the dealer. Nobody likes to do free work.

This is where all these bastards get off Scott free.

They give us the film replacement but try getting them to pay decent retribution for getting the shite off the glass and reinstalling the new film down the track.

It a cushy arrangement and pox on all their houses.

Devil

Guest mhun9180
This is where all these bastards get of Scott free.

They give us the film replacement but try getting them to pay decent retribution for getting the shite off the glass and reinstalling the new film down the track.

It a cushy arrangement and pox on all their houses.

Devil

:beer

Guest Key West
Thanks for the replies. Key West - that's excactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was wondering if, in the event the Johnson guy I'm talking to closes shop, what kind of incentive was in it for some other Johnson dealer to fix it? I wasn't sure if you were compensated for labor somehow, or got penalized by the manufacturer somehow for rejecting claims, or if it was really up to the other tinter whether to do warranty work, etc.

So it's good to know that, while not obligated to do so, I can probably find someone to fix problems under warranty if my guy disappears. Now that I know that, depending on the situation, I might tip him for honoring something he technically doesn't have to do.

I'm in Raleigh, NC (Cary/Apex, actually). I'd really prefer to stay in the Triangle area. I see only one local shop in my area in the Shops section (TVP). I think I called them and was quoted $340+, but I called a lot of places so maybe I'm mistaken. The guy I've been talking to was the first one to quote me a reasonable deal on good film, and I'm all for supporting people breaking into their own business.... so I'm personally inclined to give him my business but if someone can give me a good deal (especially on ceramic) and has a longer established shop then I would have to consider. PM me if interested.

Thanks again for the helpful info. I would very much be in the dark if not for this forum.

No Prob! Dude, chances are that you'll be just fine. We were just going over all of the worst case scenarios. Give the guy a chance if you feel comfortable. Everyone starts somewhere, and there was a time where my credentials didn't go very far back.

Someone, somewhere will take care of you (hopefully the guy you used will still be in business). Offering to help defray some of the labor, or at the very least, a tip will go along way to smooth the process. There are good people out there, but unfortunately, nice guys are usually hungry, and thier kids don't get braces. We all want to make a living!!!

I realize that you want a "Good Deal", but window tint is kinda like getting your car painted. Lets face it, 25' of Huper Optic, or Johnsons film costs the same no matter who you use. It's the ability to apply it well that you are paying for. You can go to a custom paint shop and get a great job, or you can go to Earl Schieb and get a job that fits your budget. A higher priced shop will generally spend more time on your car, where a production shop relys on turning a car every 45 min to an hour. Thats how they can offer tint for less. It's your car, and your choice. Just don't expect perfection for nothing. GOOD LUCK! :lol2

Archived