I dont get it???

Hi,

So, I went to quote a verry large banquet facility (with the manly sounding woman). There was roughly 800sq/ft of windows, with roughly 20 smaller windows of them requiring just a step ladder. anyways. the lady wanted heat rejection and to keep it natural, so I showed her a couple Optitune films and Geoshield. I was told I'd be getting a call yesterday to answer any questions they would have. Well, I called them today just to see if they had any questions they needed answering. The only question the woman asked was, "how come you cost thousands more than the other quotes?" My first thought was, "how can a business charge less than the cost of material?" I know we're not supoosed to discuss pricing, but I quoted them between 4500 and 5500 for the Optitune and between 7000 and 8000 for Geoshield. Am I off my rocker? am I doing my math wrong? Ummm, I need roughly 200 feet of film, and the optitune is like 400/roll. That's 2.5 rolls of film = roughly $1000... ummm. I dont get it. How can I be, in her words, "between 2 and 3 thousand higher than the others" when that is less than $2 per sq ft... How do I get people to understand that when it comes to tint, you get what you pay for!?!? frickin ehhhhh. I even asked her if those quotes were inclusive of everything. she said the quotes were. I dont get it. I want to tint, but I dont want to pay to tint. I wan to turn some sort of a profit! :lol2

/rant

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stick around long enough and you'll lose some big jobs you really wanted to get. but none of them are worth doing if you're working for free.

:gasp:olfa and you were most likely only a few hundred, not thousand, and 5 to 7 per square is not bad money either :lol2

:lol2:olfa and you were most likely only a few hundred, not thousand, and 5 to 7 per square is not bad money either :gasp

that's what I thought. not to mention ive found that most people who do FG around here start at no less than 5.50 per square... oiyy.

I gotta get better at selling. lol. I can get small jobs day in and day out, and I can sell them in less than 5 minutes. :poke. so what's different about big money jobs? no pun intended on who I quoted. :lol2

ugh. hopefuly retarted woman man gives me the opportunity to talk to the head honcho. then I'll sell him. :lol2 It's always easier to sell to someone who has money IMO

Dude, Your price was a little high for 800 sf commercial with easy access windows. I would of quoted more than 1/2 less than what you did. You have to adjust your pricing per sf on larger commercial jobs. I mean I am a one man show and can do 800 sf in two days. Which usually works out to a nice double digit wage, if you will. Of course that doesnt mean you price it lower using the most expensive films either. I have found that commercial customers are only concerned about one thing "Whats it gonna cost me". You own your own business I assume, don't you worry about what stuff costs when your buying supplies and etc...? You can start out by shopping around at different film companies who offer more cometitive pricing on their film. I onlu use JWF on big commercial jobs since I can get any DR or Silver/Bronze films for half the cost of a hard card per sf. So in closing, you gotta remember the other guy is going to competative in the pricing and something is better than nothing. Hope that helps.

:bingo On commercial jobs, you might be able to find a lower cost film that will serve their needs.

I tend to price about the same as my resi jobs, but I don't get many calls for commercial, so if I don't get the bid oh well. If for some reason I don't really care to do the job, I'll price a little higher.... that way if I did happen to win the bid at least I wouldn't be doing something I didn't want to for a lower price.

-R

Archived