What would you do?

Guest SlammedNiss

Guest SlammedNiss

We've been in business for 5 years. When we first opened, I agreed to do mobile work for a auto-body shop about 25 miles away. I gave him a dealer price, and have never charged him any driving fees. My only stipulation was he have at least 2 or 3 cars to make it worth my while.

Well, he called this past week, and wants me to come do an 07 Camry for a customer. He wants to know when I can come to his place to do it. I tell him the usual, that I need at least a couple cars, especially now that gas is $3+ a gallon. He says no problem, but it is a problem. When I get there, he'll tell me he had 2 cars, but the 2nd car <<GASP>> will never show up, so I'm stuck with just 1 car, a wasted morning, and the gas to get there and back.

Not to mention his shop is over-bearingly hot because it's about 20 feet from his paint-baking booth, and there is little to no air-movement. The shop is also poorly lit, and I'd have to pull the film from the car too, as there aren't any tint boards to pull the film from.

I pulled his receipts for the past year, and I haven't even been there since last December.

What should I tell this guy?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
We've been in business for 5 years. When we first opened, I agreed to do mobile work for a auto-body shop about 25 miles away. I gave him a dealer price, and have never charged him any driving fees. My only stipulation was he have at least 2 or 3 cars to make it worth my while.

Well, he called this past week, and wants me to come do an 07 Camry for a customer. He wants to know when I can come to his place to do it. I tell him the usual, that I need at least a couple cars, especially now that gas is $3+ a gallon. He says no problem, but it is a problem. When I get there, he'll tell me he had 2 cars, but the 2nd car <<GASP>> will never show up, so I'm stuck with just 1 car, a wasted morning, and the gas to get there and back.

Not to mention his shop is over-bearingly hot because it's about 20 feet from his paint-baking booth, and there is little to no air-movement. The shop is also poorly lit, and I'd have to pull the film from the car too, as there aren't any tint boards to pull the film from.

I pulled his receipts for the past year, and I haven't even been there since last December.

What should I tell this guy?

I have 150.00 minimum to leave the shop whether it's one car, or one French pane window. That's inside a 25 mi radius. Set yourself a minimum, and tell them that. OR, they can bring the car to you. No sense bending over backwards for someone who is gonna bend you over anyway! I have found that when you "Over-cater" to body shops/dealerships. they're going to take it for granted that you ABSOLUTELY need thier business, and will treat you accordingly.

I had a dealership that treated me like that, and I put my foot down. I lost thier business for about 6 months, (and yes, it did hurt a bit) But they came back to me, and we had a new, more respectful relationship after that.

Usually these places have at least 2 or 3 "Tinters" per month fly thru thier doors, trying to hustle work. Usually they are crackheads or drunks looking to make a quick buck and are willing to do cars cheap. Thats the major reason dealerships feel that tint isn't worth what we charge.

Quality and RELIABILITY still count in todays world! Stand your ground. They will find that you are a businessman like them, and will generally give you more repect. If not.......... :lol6

Good advice KW :lol6

Or simply charge him a travelling fee that your happy with and you'll deduct 50% of that fee for the second car and will waive the full fee for a third car. Any reasonable business owner will understand your reasoning.

In a sentence : Make what you are worth and not a nickel less. :lol6

Guest Marco

I have the same issue with a dealer, they don't show or when I get there the car isn't there and they swear they didn't know it didn't show up :lol6 I don't bother anymore I always tell them I'm too busy bring the car to me and they never show. I'm not driving 30 minutes out of my way to tint a two door truck, why can't they tell the customer where I am and send them here...greedy fktards :lol6 I feel better :lol

If ya dont want the money....dont do it.....25 miles, in Kansas....10....15 minutes to get there.... :dunno

Maybe turn him on to someone else... who can help him out.... :thumb

I like what KW said a buck an a half sounds good to me....minimum .

:eyebrows

Guest Key West
pick your battles

You, Sir, are a special case. I have yet to figure out how you do what you do, I only know that you DO IT! After we met and I saw you in action, I came home and completely re-thought my business model. Thank you Rick!!! :eyebrows It would appear that an old dog CAN learn new things!!!

Archived