An odd question

Guest FastBackJack

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DontWorryItWillDry

FBJ,

I'm thinking it'll crack on flat glass because the glass itself usually isn't heat treated or tempered like autos. Just like DBad said.

:wtf A "penny bunger" is a fire cracker, But devil is gonna have to fill us in on cracker night. I do know that a "cracker" in England is a paper tube that you pull on both ends and it pops open with a mild bang and is usually full of toys or candy we used to do it holidays and birthdays.

Guest Readyman

When they use lami for cars they do what is called seaming the edges, which means that they polish all of the roughness of the glass, so it is smooth. After that they heat treat it. For flat glass they normally don't do this, so if you have a rough edge or a small crack it will run and become a big crack.

If you find a piece of flat glass that has been heat treated and lami, you can tint it without problems (usually) as long as you don't get the absorption rate to high.

Guest dodgyone

Cracker night is Guy Fawkes night im pretty sure. Those eastern staters must get into it. One night a year you are allowed to set off fireworks. Australia is pretty tight on that. Cant buy anything in the west.

I can tell a fellow Aussie from afar Dodgey. How ya going mate?

I just love educating Yankees in the phrasology of Oz speak. :dunno

A penny bunger is indeed a huge red single firecracker about 3"s long and half an inch thick. Use to blow the be-jesus out of anything you set it under. Would do a nice job on letterboxes. :lol6

Penny comes from the time when we were pre-decimal currency (changed in 1966 to dollars and cents) from the English pound/shilling. When we were kids back then and didn't have a lot of money, a penny (equiv to 1 cent) got you one of these big bangers.

Cracker night was tops. It was a night with bonfires and fireworks to celebrate Empire day and Guy Fawkes attempt to blow up the English Parliment.

Hence go off like a penny bunger (bunger for big explosion) on cracker night.

Sadly fireworks are all but illegal except for one state and displays are all relegated to professionals nowadays downunder.

Now if I said " she bangs like a dunny door in the wind," well that means something different again.

That refers to an out toilet (dunny) and bangs means the same for you in the US. So a left open door in the wind bangs continously and so does a lady of the night.

So you can pay us Aussies back.........what the hell is a snizzle????? Is that something to with Bar-B-Qing?

And who the hell is Embar????

Your turn for us.

Devil

:tantrum Nah devil I'm not from the land down under would like to come down there for a holiday some day. I know a few "OZ speak" words and phrases though and I remember Guy fawkes night, huge bonfires and such. Long time ago though, we left the UK when I was 7 I think that's where my mom is from. I still have relatives there and pick up on some unusual terminolgy in coresponding with them But you guys down under take it all to a new level :lol.

By the way up here a "penny bunger" is an M-80 it too will expand the hell out of a letterbox.

as for snizzle and embar :lol6 haven't got a clue :lol

Guest Braud Spectrum
So you can pay us Aussies back.........what the hell is a snizzle????? Is that something to with Bar-B-Qing?

And who the hell is Embar????

Your turn for us.

Devil

:lol We used to call snizzle when it was a combination of drizzling rain and snow flakes as kids. We didn't get much snow that would accumulate and ammount to anything. Oh maybe one small snowball from the whole yard. We'd be soooo proud of it and even kept it in the freezer :tantrum ...we were so thrilled when it snizzled. :mad I thought we made that word up.

If it's "shizzle" you mean...I had to ask MDog and TD about the "shizzle" thing myself. :mad It's evidently a black thing. I had no idea. :lol There's an ebonics (sort of the way black people speak) dictionary on line. I bookmarked for future reference. :lol6

:mad Never heard of the Embar thing. Where did you hear that ?

Archived