How and how much to pay a good tinter?

Guest beenalongtime

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

35% is the going rate around here. some like to get paid per window, I pay 10 per door, and 20 on car back glass. big 1/4'z 5 and small 1/4'z 5 for the pair. so my guys make like 60-65 for the complete car.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest h0wld0g

man this topic makes me feel glad I started my own business and left the shop I was at go ahead laugh at me for stickin around for 3 years makin 10% of price off a car... 35% sounds so much better and more fair he also tried to cut my pay several times imagine that.... and no im not just an average tinter ive tinted over 1000 cars and several flat glass jobs over 300 sq. ft. of glass each thats not too much but its alot for one tinter by which I was making 50 cents a sq.ft. for whats yalls take on that whats the going rate for flat glass installer?

From the many topics we've had on flat glass rates, it seems $.80 - $2 a square can be had... all depends on window type, materials provided, etc.

When I get help, I pay per day... when I help, I ask for a per day rate.... depending on the job. For huge commercial jobs, I ask for a per sq/ft rate...

Many things to consider when coming up with a price. I try and be fair to the guys I use... who are friends, and they are fair to me when I help them, so it works for us.

-R

Guest banfam55
beenalongtime said:
Hello all, I am an old school tinter ( when you had to cut your own film ). I tinted for about 7 years but that was in the early/mid 90's. I am now looking to open a shop and am looking for info on how tinters are generally paid these days. In my day, I was paid by the sq. ft by one shop and flat rate per car by another shop I worked for. Either way, I basically made 30 - 35 bucks for a 4 door car.

My question is - is there a standard way today that tinters are paid and about how much does a tinter make per car? Also, has the widespread use of the plotter made any difference in the how much a shop pays it's tinters?

One more question concerning film. When I was tinting, we had a lot of problems with LLumar film, but, it seems to be the most widely used now. Can someone give me some input on some decent quality brands and their relative cost?

Apreciate any help! Thank You

Welcome 

I like a plotter in house or mobile..

Some times the newer cars arent updated so free-hand is a "go!'

I work on commision.I wont wait for the ploter.Once the deals seald,"Its on!"

35% is the going rate around here. some like to get paid per window, I pay 10 per door, and 20 on car back glass. big 1/4'z 5 and small 1/4'z 5 for the pair. so my guys make like 60-65 for the complete car.

Been in business 15 years never paid a tinter commission. You cant make good money paying 35% commission. I have an experience tinter pay him a salary and he can work 6 days a week if he wants . He makes about $6oo after taxes a week . He is guarenteed 40 hrs eventhrough the winter rain or shine . Then I hire 2 others at $8 hr to clean install side windows and cut tint on the plotter . My labour cost comes out about 25% . I supervise also so it sort of have to be in the shop when it is busy. The problem with commision tinters is they make $1000/mnth in the 3 months of summer and they bitch the other 10 months of the year they are under paid. With my guys you do everything answer phones, help customers clean up the shop .

Guest CleanCutter

$600 for an experienced tinter

$100 a day..... 

I'd hit the road. Hope they aint trying to raise families on a hundred bucks a day. It's possible, but sure as hell wouldn't be fun.

Guest h0wld0g

shoot my old boss was payin me 10% and I ran the place most I made one week was 410 answer phones clean shop help customers heck there was only two of us in the shop did it all I basically ran my own shop and paid some yoo hoo 80% minus 10% for supplies haha now I own my own shop and its so much better so much happier : )

CleanCutter said:
$600 for an experienced tinter

$100 a day..... 

I'd hit the road. Hope they aint trying to raise families on a hundred bucks a day. It's possible, but sure as hell wouldn't be fun.

$15 per hour after taxes sounds like a fair rate, depending on what area of the country it is.

What does that figure to before taxes? around $18 per hour ?

Guest goldtooth
shoot my old boss was payin me 10% and I ran the place most I made one week was 410 answer phones clean shop help customers heck there was only two of us in the shop did it all I basically ran my own shop and paid some yoo hoo 80% minus 10% for supplies haha now I own my own shop and its so much better so much happier : )

:gasp been there done that,I feel yuh bro.. but I work for another owner who is totally different :shock:lol2 so good work and good work ethics dont go unseen or respected :poop:gasp:nohit:

Guest vincetints
Hiring a GOOD, reliable tinter is next to impossible. There are reasons that a good tinter is unemployed.

That's a heckuva thing to say. :lol6:lol6

I'm unemployed right now because two morons bought a thriving tint business and ran it into the ground. :lol6

Archived