What is an acceptable bubble size?

Guest Tintcustomer

Guest Tintcustomer

I had my windows tinted on Saturday at a shop that has done two other cars for me in the past. I have never had any issues with my other cars, nor with a third car that I had done in another shop when I was living out of state.

This time I think I got a bad deal, and I wanted opinions from some pros. The back glass has a bubble in it that is about 3/8" in diameter and is easily visible from about 8 feet. It has the usual issues with not completely sticking to the dots on the outside edges (which I expect), but one corner is much worse than the other three. There are also a few 1/2" long fibers trapped under the film.

One of the rear sides has a 1.5" bubble of adhesive/water trapped. This is not as visible as the back window bubble because it is not an air bubble, but with the correct light you can see if easily from 5 feet. This window also has a bunch of pinhead sized air bubbles under the film.

The drivers side film has a couple of knife scratches right where I look through to the side mirror.

I paid $149, which in Indy seems to be a middle of the road price, and they have always done a good job in the past.

I am not sure if I should take it back, live with it, or take it to another shop? Suggestions would be appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

Regarding the water/adhesive spot... Don't worry, it will dry.

The pin-head spots are a fact of life, as long as there aren't too many. That's the discretion of the tinter. I would take it back and have the tinter take a look at it. He/she can probably remove the larger 'bubble' in the rear window. The fibers are also at the discretion of the tinter. Let them decide whether it's acceptable or not.

Guest thetintshop

the bubble will dry out. the smaller bubbles are contamination and should be expected. as far as the "fibers", that depends on the tinter whether or not to fix it. if your car is dirty, or an older car, if you carry a pet, if you use your back seat as a garbage can, ect.

and since you went "middle of the road price", you should expect a "middle of the road" tint job.

Who in Indy did it? that might tell me if to take it back or not. Some will dry the small ones and the fiber wont and what do you mean by a knife scratch? Is it in the glass or on the film? And what kind of film did you get? On second thought just take it back and complain, sounds like you got more than you paid for.(extra dirt and such)

Guest Tintcustomer

I had it done at Waxwerks, and the car is kept clean...no pets, etc. I have been living out of state for the last five years, so it has been a while since I used them. My experiences in the past were good, but a lot can change in five years.

Guest Tintcustomer

Knife marks are on the tint...they are about 1.5" long and are not completley through the film. They are a couple of random partially straight cuts. It almsot looks like the installer was cutting another sheet of film on top of the one that was installed.

Archived