Glass Art

Guest Rama

All I can say is WOW to everything I just saw.  I love doing that stuff but people don't seem to want to pay what it is worth around here.

That is what I found, too.

They stand before you in awe and then when you tell 'em how much...

it's 'AWEshiot"! :rollin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metint, thats some incredible work. Are the different film colors made by Gila as well? Maybe they will be at Sema and I can get more info about them there, I think I saw them there last year and never bothered to walk in the booth, due to the bad rap they have with their crap film at home depot. I have been trying to get access to multiple colors of film, without buying a solar graphics dealership and its not very easy to do. I'd love to be able to get quite a few different shades of colors. Do you know if they have requirements to buy and how many color choices are available? No need to list colors, just quantity.

Now, OT, before you go off on me about how now I'm going to be seeing "green" tint rolling around my town, remember this is for artistic work!!! Not some punk kid's civic!

Time frame on the glass art in my pictures was about 4 hours. But, I did not do the door or the sidelights above the door as they were original, this was just the 2 upper windows.

Mdog, btw this was the job I needed the clear film for, that due to a miscommunication we had already ordered.

I charged $35 a sqare ft for this, was nearly $700 total, for the two windows. Those of you who do this, do you think thats overkill? Or not enough?

I'd love to be able to get quite a few different shades of colors.? 

I charged $35 a sqare ft for this, was nearly $700 total, for the two windows.? Those of you who do this, do you think thats overkill?? Or not enough?

TB,

LLumar, Solar Gard, Sungard, Madico all have colors, I think. Usually limited to the basic blue, green, red, yellow, but you can piggy back different colors to come up with others (e.g. red + yellow = orange, red + green = brown, etc.)

Throw in frost film, white out, black out, silver, neutrals, coppers, and you have a wealth of variations to work with (Not to mention light shades of auto tint to tone a color down or use as grey).

Get what you can for your time and the clear layer is something very important in keeping those that like to pick at the film edge from ruining the work.

I did the graphics for Gila on six different auto windows. They use 'em at shows.

:shock

Metint, I already have all the easily accesible colors from mfg's listed above, its the off the wall stuff, to avoid 14 layers of films that I'd like to get. I did one graphic that had 9 different layers, it took FOREVER to dry out. More chance of contamination etc.

Thanks for the answer though! :shock

Guest matrixtinter

You guys kick assssss. I have only done mustangs on cars, some flames, and some tribal. I did do a front door once of a house with white mate. I scanned in the image of the design they wanted, printed it out and free handed it. Came out pretty cool. They paid 300 for the door and 300 for the film. The door it resembled was 1300. Nice savings. It's good to see that there are some artists among us. I'm not putting anyone down. In this profession you have to be somewhat artistic. :shock

Metint, I already have all the easily accesible colors from mfg's listed above, its the off the wall stuff, to avoid 14 layers of films that I'd like to get.  I did one graphic that had 9 different layers, it took FOREVER to dry out.  More chance of contamination etc. 

Thanks for the answer though! :shock

I'll research this side of the fence to see where it is available without franchise.

Let you know whether I find anything. It'll be after SEMA though, I head out in the morning and will not return until the 10th. I'll take it up then. :rollin

Archived