Why would you buy/use a tint Machine? (plotter/cutter)

Guest De4thMet4LKing00

Guest De4thMet4LKing00

I read about many of you guys using electronic tint machines to cut your patterns for you. IT just seems very inaccurate and un-reliable. ***Note---I have never used one, so I cant say for sure*** But from my experience, ALL windows are different from car to car. Take one guy's 2004 Silverado, and then take the other guy's 2004 Silverado, the edge of both windows may be slightly different, but yet the machine will cut out the exact same pattern. This is the same on ALL cars. There is nothing like cutting each pattern by hand, knowing you have the exact edge of each window. OH yes, how about back windows on cars? Even if the machine cuts it out for you, you will still have to shrink the pattern. Come on, it just seems like a lazy, yet expensive way to finish up a car quickly. I would rather take 15-20 minutes more to cut the right patterns than to have non-precision cuts from a computer. Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest haroldshouseoftint
It's more for mass production and not single man operations.

Not always, I know a one man/woman shop that uses one, and loves it. :rollin

I personally think (usually gets me into trouble) I can cut just as fast as a plotter, by the time it's loaded with one shade for fronts, and another shade for the backs, I can have the car cut out. Yes you are correct, you still need to shrink the back glass, but some people just don't like cutting on cars :rollin

The only advantage that I see in computer cutting tint would be if you had a bunch of the same vehicle to do at one time.

OR you have a high volume shop, turning out over; say about 10 per day..... Then it would be helpful.

As far as each window being slightly different, they can't be THAT much different where you couldn't make the patterns work.

Also, you can adjust them yourself.

Guest CajunTinter
Not always, I know a one man/woman shop that uses one, and loves it. :lol2

I personally think (usually gets me into trouble) I can cut just as fast as a plotter, by the time it's loaded with one shade for fronts, and another shade for the backs, I can have the car cut out. Yes you are correct, you still need to shrink the back glass, but some people just don't like cutting on cars :lol2

:dunno :dunno :rollin

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but having one just so I wouldn't have to cut around vent visors anymore would be really nice !!! :rollin :rollin

And yes, I do hate vent visors that much!!! :dunno

Guest tinterbabe

Ive done both and can definetlety tint faster and cut faster without the plotter.

The only time I can see a plotter cutting faster is if you can cut out the entire car in the same shade. However where Im at I cant do that cause the laws for th front are lighter.

We use out plotter though still quite a bit, it gives a straighter edge on the back glasses than I can cut free hand :rollin

Guest Shmoovy

What about for newbies? I know I will need to learn how to cut, but I feel like I can focus more attention to learning to properly install right now. I need to be able to knock out jobs quick right now to recoup some money.

Archived