Why would you buy/use a tint Machine? (plotter/cutter)

Guest De4thMet4LKing00

Guest sonny ogles
just to stir the pot...do you guys REALLY think your patterns are nicer ,smoother,quicker than the plotter? I can tell you -I hand cut for 15 years-the plotter -with the good software and some one with plotter skills running it would win this challenge! Now that excludes the ebay cheapos -I'm referring to a professional setup. Don't believe me? Roll on to Texas! :nope:spit The reason I know-I took this challenge 6-7 years ago and got embarrassed! :spit

What he said that's what sold me on the one I have, I'm a one man show hear just can fined anyone I trust with my customers I guess and I can tell you just from my point of view that having a plotter helped my business.

as I'm talking with a customer, answering the phone, or making appointments my plotter is still working so when I get back to the car it's all cut out yes that's the easy part but it's done and out of the way as I was doing other things that needed to be done if any thing it's like having an extra set of hands around the shop

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest De4thMet4LKing00

OK, I have read everyones responses. I still am against using a plotter. All of you worried about cutting the glass or cutting the rubber obviously don't know what you're doing and I see most of you have many years of experience. So you say that you MAY need to trim the pattern a little bit after it "prints" out. What is the point? You take the time to assess the window, make sure it lines up to where you want it, then trim....hmmm.....seems like a bit much for something so "accurate." There is nothing more precise than a hand-cut pattern (that is, if you know what you're doing). It just seems like a huge investment for not-so-accurate work. Yeah, so you spit out 8 or more cars a day, but how do they turn out? I am by myself, and I can do 4 or more 4-door cars a day with no comebacks, knowing that I just gave them the best job on the Eastern Shore.

OK, I have read everyones responses. I still am against using a plotter. All of you worried about cutting the glass or cutting the rubber obviously don't know what you're doing and I see most of you have many years of experience. So you say that you MAY need to trim the pattern a little bit after it "prints" out. What is the point? You take the time to assess the window, make sure it lines up to where you want it, then trim....hmmm.....seems like a bit much for something so "accurate." There is nothing more precise than a hand-cut pattern (that is, if you know what you're doing). It just seems like a huge investment for not-so-accurate work. Yeah, so you spit out 8 or more cars a day, but how do they turn out? I am by myself, and I can do 4 or more 4-door cars a day with no comebacks, knowing that I just gave them the best job on the Eastern Shore.

:dunno you are quite the man :tantrum

Guest ratmotor99

im a newb. I do use pre cut, from tintkits. the reason I have the shakes bad I cant draw a str8 line with a ruler. I do find the job to be relaxing and rewarding. I give praise to you that can free hand !!

Gino~

I read about many of you guys using electronic tint machines to cut your patterns for you. IT just seems very inaccurate and un-reliable. ***Note---I have never used one, so I cant say for sure*** But from my experience, ALL windows are different from car to car. Take one guy's 2004 Silverado, and then take the other guy's 2004 Silverado, the edge of both windows may be slightly different, but yet the machine will cut out the exact same pattern. This is the same on ALL cars. There is nothing like cutting each pattern by hand, knowing you have the exact edge of each window. OH yes, how about back windows on cars? Even if the machine cuts it out for you, you will still have to shrink the pattern. Come on, it just seems like a lazy, yet expensive way to finish up a car quickly. I would rather take 15-20 minutes more to cut the right patterns than to have non-precision cuts from a computer. Thoughts?
You asked for people's thoughts, and you got 'em. :dunno

I'm quite sure that nobody here was on the edge of their seat waiting for your decision on what you would do after this analysis of yours was complete. I'm also sure that those who took the time to reply to your inquiry were not waiting for you to tell them that they don't know what they're doing. :rollin

Just use what works for you, and don't worry about what everyone else's particular operation. :tantrum

Guest Thetintcenter

RU saying that you have never cut a rubber or scratched a window? I have been using a plotter for three years now and Love it. When an adjustment needs to be made on a template you make it on the system and save it. I'm sure you must have at least once in your career had to re-cut a pattern. All I'm saying is don't knock it until you try it.

A side note... plotters are usually used when you have dealer work or scheduled appointments so you can pre-cut the cars. :ninja

Guest Thetintcenter
and then the clown doesn't show for his appointment....

(deposits!)

I always get a deposit for appointments. If it's a phone appointment, I ask for a credit card deposit. Most people don't have a problem with this practice...hotel's do it. :twocents

Guest shaggy0915

Hello Everyone,

I am expanding my businesss to automotive and I bought a plotter that will arrive on Tuesday. I decided to buy it after starting the training of a new car tinter. It is amazing how much film is wasting during training making the cuts. I also send a lot of work to a local sign company to do decorative film cut outs.

However, if I was a 1 man operation who already knew how to make the cuts...I don't think I would buy a plotter. Very expensive but worth the investment if you have to train other people.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Should be a fun learning experience!

Guest besttintman

I am considering a plotter for my tint business...

About me: I have been installing for 11 years. Have worked in a shop where plotter is a no brainer. I have a mobile service (home based) which works on appointments. I work by myself, and plan to stay that way for now. I can do 3 cars a day driving around town. I know I am an excellent tinter without the plotter. I am very good outside and I can deal with wind pretty well. However, I think I can save time cutting film on a plotter and transporting it to the jobsite. I am also very interested in clearshield. I have two places that can send me some good business for the clearshield to get that up and running(which got me thinking about a plotter). I want to double my sales in tint and stay mobile. I have no problems getting a deposit so I can precut these films. Do you guys think the plotter will help me make more money, or just be a novelty to show my buddies? Thanks for your input.

Archived