Trying out new film

Guest socalkid

Guest socalkid

I just installed a kit on a new Nissan Versa. My normal go to film is 3M and sometimes Avery but I decided to try out Xpel's film and I first started on the hood and practically ruined the film because I assumed it was going to react the same way as the 3M film. Well if there's a lesson to be learned here is to never make that same assumption. The film was alot easier to work with but I pulled the film off the lining using the roll technique (tach it to the hood and peel off liner) and it would not peel that easy. So I ended up setting it on the table and peeled it that way instead. I also notice how easier the film scuffed up when not enough slip solution is used when squeegeeing the film. Well after figuring out how to attack the film, I proceeded with the rest of the pieces and re-did the hood and all in all I think the film not too bad. I think it retains a higher gloss rate and less orange peel. :spit Any thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkdan

Didn't you read the instructions that came with it?

It says don't reverse roll it, keep it super wet, and use a black turbo.

Orange peel is less than 3M, but at the same time that means all of your mistakes will show!

I do enjoy the clear liner too.

Guest socalkid

thanks for the tip. No instructions came with the kit but I'm sure I can look it up on xpel's site. I currently use the orange 3M squeege as well as a softer 3M black. In your opinion, you think the black magic is better? :dunno

Guest qatinstaller
thanks for the tip. No instructions came with the kit but I'm sure I can look it up on xpel's site. I currently use the orange 3M squeege as well as a softer 3M black. In your opinion, you think the black magic is better? :dunno

We prefer the Yellow Squeege, Orange one to "sticky", no input on black one.

Trevor

Guest XPEL Derek

The yellow squeegees are harder and have a Teflon coating. From what I’ve seen, in most cases the yellow squeegee is not scratching the film but is leaving the Teflon behind. This is why we had Performance Tools test many different squeegees in order to find the best application for our film. The black one is softer so you will need to be careful not to leave any solution behind.

The yellow squeegees are harder and have a Teflon coating. From what I’ve seen, in most cases the yellow squeegee is not scratching the film but is leaving the Teflon behind. This is why we had Performance Tools test many different squeegees in order to find the best application for our film. The black one is softer so you will need to be careful not to leave any solution behind.

The truth is the yellows will scratch any film. Orange block from m3 still my pick. Black turbo #2...... If there is any bulk tips for the new film please share them with the TD'S. My last 2 calls were rear bumber wraps from repair shops. [MAX & RAN/R].

Guest socalkid

I'm really comfortable with my orange 3M but maybe I'll use my black 3M for the xpel film. Its a much softer material. I also heard that using less pressure on xpels film will also reduce a lot of blemishes, but I think it may set you up for more moisture spots as it cures. We'll see! :rollin

I'm really comfortable with my orange 3M but maybe I'll use my black 3M for the xpel film. Its a much softer material. I also heard that using less pressure on xpels film will also reduce a lot of blemishes, but I think it may set you up for more moisture spots as it cures. We'll see! :rollin

Have not done any sheet metal with it..... nice around the bumpers and no steamer

Archived