Caddy CTS - back glass shatters after tinting??!!!

Guest kowalski383

Guest kowalski383

Hey Guys -

I'm new to the forum, but I'm curious to see if anyone has had this happen before.

I've been tinting since 1983 (professionally since about '90) and I just had something happen to me that never has before. I just had a customer return with his back glass shattered on a '03 Cadillac CTS the day after I tinted it. The job went smooth, no problems. The next day I get a call saying that his back glass is shattered; he brings it back and, sure enough, it's shattered. Anyone ever had this happen? I'm thinking it was a problem with the glass that may have been aggrevated by tinting. It shattered later that night (finished the job around 2:00 in the afternoon); it was kinda chilly out and raining, but nothing outrageous.

I've been doing internet searches, and it looks like a good many folks have had problems with Caddys and exploding back windows (with/without tint). I guess I'll replace it for the customer (if I was in his place it'd be hard to convince me the tint didn't have something to do with it, though this is a first). Now I'm afraid to touch a CTS.

Anybody got any thoughts/comments?...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kowalski383

Yeah, I've never had anything like this before either. I guess I'll pay to have it replaced. If I have another one shatter it's no more CTSs for me!...

Guest thatsnappyguy

I would not even think about paying for that back glass. I havent been tinting as long as u but I have never had that happen. I dont think its possible for TEMPERED glass to shatter from tint. something eles did it. how do u know that the customer wasnt cuttin the grass or something and a flying rock could have done it. people get windows replaced all the time. I have done many caddys and that was never an issue...on any car at that. he has insurance, its his fault. let him pay for it. as long as it didnt happen in you shop...its not your problem. if he has a problem with that...call the cops....trust me, im sure its worth all the bullcrap compared to the price of that back glass.

Edited by thatsnappyguy

I think I'm on snappys side here...that has got to be one of the flattest back glass's out there...no way tint would bust that back window out. :lol6 I work for ed Morse Caddy here in Tampa...maybe I'll meander over tomorrow, and see's what I can find out for Ya. :rollin

Guest CajunTinter
I would not even think about paying for that back glass. I havent been tinting as long as u but I have never had that happen. I dont think its possible for TEMPERED glass to shatter from tint. something eles did it. how do u know that the customer wasnt cuttin the grass or something and a flying rock could have done it. people get windows replaced all the time. I have done many caddys and that was never an issue...on any car at that. he has insurance, its his fault. let him pay for it. as long as it didnt happen in you shop...its not your problem. if he has a problem with that...call the cops....trust me, im sure its worth all the bullcrap compared to the price of that back glass.

:rollin:spit :spit

I wouldn't pay for it either. tint doesn't do that shiat with cars. I could see if the window was hotter than hell and you sprayed cold water on it but from nothing at all :lol6

Gotta agree Blade !!!