i got certified

I just got back from vacation....wife got sick and was just hanging around the pool and the room so I went and took some classes and got certified to dive ....it was so cool....been a snorkler for many years.....but diving was the bomb.....any other divers tinters....

how long did it take.....was your class in a swimming pool?

I'v always wanted to do that.

:thumb

it really didnt take long....I did a 30 to 40 min class at a pool....like a 15 foot deep pool.....some instruction before going it...hand signals....did the stuff I learned in the water.....there were two of us learning....learning to breath clamly was the hardest part.......then the next morning...I was to be at the dock at 10 am....there were other that were goin to the ocean to dive but were late....so instructor took me and another to the pool again for about 20 mins to do a couple other things...and just get confortable with the tanks and being under water....the first dive we went about 20-25 feet...the first couple breaths were a little weird.....but it was easy..the current just takes you and you kinda float like in space....using your breath in you lungs and the air in your vest to regulate your depth......after that dive about 40 mins in the water.....I read a couple chapters in a book....you need three chapters to get certified..there are different levels of diver....I can dive no deeper than 40 feet....2nd dive we went between 40 and 45 feet...went to the bottom and did some test stuff...let water in mask and clear..take off mask and put it back on and clear....swim using someone elses spare air line and the use of hand signals....then we were out about another 40 mins in the water....I came back read the third chapter and took a maybe 15 question test.....

im not sure if I will test to go deeper....maybe some day...but 40 feet is cool for now.....on my first dive I saw a nurse shark....about 4 ft long....they are not dangerous...but look dangerous......then I saw a morey eel...4-5 feet long....two barracudes....two lobsters.....huge fer's......and tons of cool colorful fish....the deeper you go the bigger the fish.....

2nd dive I swam with a turtle bigger than a garbage can lid.....for about 10 mins he just hung with us....swimming arms length away....

classes like from your local home town dive shops take longer....and im sure are more techenical....andyou have to make non pool dives which are in most cases old rock quarrys or lakes.....which are normally not as clear or as warm.....this is where I would have normally done it but wife was sick so it took the oppertunity

with the dives instructions book and tests it ran about 200.00....and is good forever

I'd recommend it to anyone......snorkling is still fun and I will probable not sucba every time I go somewhere.....but I still will snorkle as my wife and son and one daugher all snorkle....my other daughter is 5 and will snorkle with us next vacation...now my son wants to dive....cha-ching.... :beer

I dove in Cancun... but there they basically take you waist deep into the ocean... let you practice and then you go out for an hour or two. :thumb

It was crazy cool.... but looking back, probably not the safest way to start out.

did you go to stingray city.....we snorkled that area.......and if it safe it probably not as fun... :beer

I dove in Cancun... but there they basically take you waist deep into the ocean... let you practice and then you go out for an hour or two. :thumb

It was crazy cool.... but looking back, probably not the safest way to start out.

did you go to stingray city.....we snorkled that area.......and if it safe it probably not as fun... :beer

No.. at least I don't think so. lol It was down towards where the boat takes you over to Cozumel.

At first I didn't think I'd be able to do it - I had trouble getting the breathing thing down. I'd start to panic and come up out of the water... but I just keep at it until I could be under the water and breath calmly.

Archived