Getting into the game

Guest Telsun

Hey guys. I'm looking for a career change and window tinting is the area I have become drawn to. It's not because I think it's gunna be easy money far from it reading this forum! I have an interest in cars and think that seeing the car complete would be rewarding work. I work shifts and intend to stay where I am and tint on my days off until I am ready to make the leap to full time tinting. So here I am...

I have no experience! I'm looking to take a 5 day course to get me started. After that I am hoping to tint some friends and families cars, eventually I want to be running my own business. Initially I was thinking that I'll have a completely mobile set up but I'm not sure that this is feasible given the UK climate so perhaps I'll have to have a premises of some sort.

I'm really looking for some advice in how to go about my venture of getting into the game. I think that it might be a good idea to take some courses in business management and marketing, I've been looking at the Business Link site which seems to have lots of good info. I also thought that it would be a good idea to try to get some part time work at an established window tinters to gain some valuable experience.

So is there anyone to guide me on my way?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys. I'm looking for a career change and window tinting is the area I have become drawn to. It's not because I think it's gunna be easy money far from it reading this forum! I have an interest in cars and think that seeing the car complete would be rewarding work. I work shifts and intend to stay where I am and tint on my days off until I am ready to make the leap to full time tinting. So here I am...

I have no experience! I'm looking to take a 5 day course to get me started. After that I am hoping to tint some friends and families cars, eventually I want to be running my own business. Initially I was thinking that I'll have a completely mobile set up but I'm not sure that this is feasible given the UK climate so perhaps I'll have to have a premises of some sort.

I'm really looking for some advice in how to go about my venture of getting into the game. I think that it might be a good idea to take some courses in business management and marketing, I've been looking at the Business Link site which seems to have lots of good info. I also thought that it would be a good idea to try to get some part time work at an established window tinters to gain some valuable experience.

So is there anyone to guide me on my way?

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction, especially the part about working somewhere to gain experience. Also try and buy some film and tint and retint your car until you get it right.

Thanks CuttingEdge. I think that tinting my own car would be a good idea. I was thinking about it last night and thought it is quite ludicrous considering changing my career to tinting when I haven't even had a go at it. It'll be worth giving it a go before I decide to spend £1000+ on a course and then thinking nah this isn't for me...

So I was thinking that I should at least buy an instructional DVD to give me an idea of what to do (any suggestions?). But what film should I start with and where shall I get it from?

Thanks CuttingEdge. I think that tinting my own car would be a good idea. I was thinking about it last night and thought it is quite ludicrous considering changing my career to tinting when I haven't even had a go at it. It'll be worth giving it a go before I decide to spend £1000+ on a course and then thinking nah this isn't for me...

So I was thinking that I should at least buy an instructional DVD to give me an idea of what to do (any suggestions?). But what film should I start with and where shall I get it from?

I believe Flat Rock Stan has some instructional videos and film to buy to practice with.

Here is a link to his site: http://www.autowindowtinting.com/index.cfm...ay&pageID=2

He is a good guy and his videos seem top notch!

But what film should I start with and where shall I get it from?

Try DartZ, I think they sell by few yards in UK, and I'm sure they send it to you.

There are linkZ everywhere around here so it shouldn't be a problem

Guest walestint

hi tel

cant see a business course helping - youve either got it or you aint when it comes to selling and taking cash off people

concentrate on tinting - buy film, get some screens from the scrappy and get shrinking

be prepared to get p*ssed off a few times

good luck

Guest Diamond Tints
It'll be worth giving it a go before I decide to spend £1000+ on a course and then thinking nah this isn't for me...

Think you answered your own question! Its it either what you want to do or isn't!! By the looks of it its defo not for you, too many doubts going on with you, as for taking a course in business :thumb If these guys that teach this are so good at teaching, why aint they got their own companies?????????????

Don't want this to be negative, just truthful :dunno

The amount of guys that think film=cars=money, is a f***ing joke to be honest

Anyone can start a company but its not doing the work, its getting the work

Anyway if its for you good luck :thumb

Guest Telsun

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Diamond Tints; it's not doubt it's caution. I've been looking for an area of self employment that I could get into for years but none of my previous ideas have enthused me as much as the prospect of tinting windows. It seems to fit so well with my qualities and interests (I.e the enhancement of a cars looks). It seems spot on, I'm also confident that I am capable of learning the skill but just before I splash my cash (that is far from readily available) I just want to dip my toe.

Fair point about the business course. My logic was simply that I have no experience in business and I have read many times that the skill is the easy part it's usually the business acumen that lets you down and I don't want to let myself down. It appears from what has been said that a course in marketing could be beneficial, I believe that all the business link courses are free anyway so if the course is of no use at least it is only my time that has been wasted.

I've ordered myself a simple instructional DVD of off Ebay (probably a load of crap but it was cheap, hopefully I'll get an idea to go from). I'm a bit confused about the film to do my car; on LEO'n'DARTZ website the largest size film is 60" but my back glass is bigger than that (Mk1 Avensis hatch) so do I have to do it in two parts? I know, I'm so clueless, I've got a lot to learn eh...

I thought that I'd buy a tailgate or two to practice on. It's probably a bit ambitious and perhaps I'll see how the "simple" ones go first but I saw Clio tailgate for sale (is it the mk4 with the curved glass?) I figure that if I can tint that I'll be able to tint most. Does it work that way?

Guest Telsun
The amount of guys that think film=cars=money, is a f***ing joke to be honest

Yeah I got this impression from looking at the sites and information out there, but despite it appearing to be quite a lucrative career it was not my original reason for looking into pursuing tinting.

Archived