Getting into the game

Guest Telsun

Guest TintMeUp

Guys, I need some serious help, myself and a mate paid £1000 for some absolute Di*khead who thought he could teach us, we came home again, bought Johnson Window Film, a 60" x 30M roll of dark smoke, light smoke and limo, and not to mention the £200 worth of tools also, so we spent near £2000 each, and we cant seem to get it right no matter what, cutting is a problem, and shrinking is a big problem, we just cant do it, can someone please explain the best way to cut tint? like.. do we use the rubber seal as a guide line for the scalpel blade or will we take off door panels and all rubber seals? and also where shrinking is concearned, cant seem to shrink the tint without overheating or creasing the tint, and wehn we do finaly manage to get an actual window tinted, it looks rough and unprofessional,and then bubbles appear a few days later, need some serious help, anyone any suggestions/help/advice????

very very very very (cant express how) much appreciated

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest potzy

I had a similiar problem when I started, you just got to keep practicing mate you aint going to learn much in a few weeks to be honest more like a few years to get any good at it. were you shown how to dry shrink, reverse roll, split reverse roll as cutting is fairly straight forward....just woundering....Best of luck mate and dont give up yet :beer

Guest TintMeUp

I need some good help, I have a BMW, its actualy an old BMW (1994 318i 5door saloon) and I have been practicing on it,on the 2 back windows the rubber seals on it are chipped and eroded a little bit (due to age of car), so cutting the tint is a nightmare, I actualy took all the rubbers out of one of the back windows to cut it, and I am not doing that again, because I physically could not get the rubbers back in, I even had to cut it to shorten it just so I could put it back on, now the window is extremley hard to roll up, so trying to cut the tint using the rubbers as guide lines doesnt work because instead of it being straight cuts like ________ its more like /\/\/\/\/\/\, I need help with that, and shrinking the tint, should I be using a hard card or my hand/glove? or a hard card wrapped up in a paper towel? and when pulling the fingers out, am I supposed to pull them all out through the top and bottom of the window? because alot of the fingers are on the sides of the window and when I try to pull them into the window and down to the bottom of the tint (or up top), it seems to just overheat the tint at the sides and just ruins it and I need to start over, complete nightmare, someone please give me some help or advice or instructions pleeeeease :(

Guest Telsun
I'm sure your local tint company's will be more than happy to train you, teach you the skills, invest time and money into you, for you to set up some pi*s poor tinting outfit just around the corner! My advice would be stick to what you know, harsh I will admit but sick of coming across cowboy's who have two months experience, thinking this profession is a quick money maker!!! :thumb

I need to agree with this dude, brutal but honest

And there was me thinking of moving to Galsgow :beer

Well I'm gunna give it a shot, if I don't try I'll never know will I.

Potzy great reply, thanks for that. Like I said I'm looking for a career change so want to be in for the long haul, I want the challenges and can work part time until I feel that the time is right to go tinting fulltime. You've given a very grounded reply to how it is, cheers.

I've been reading the forum a lot and was debating whether to take a course at all as it seems to be mainly about practice, but I think I will. The sooner the better...

Guest Diamond Tints

Hey come to glasgow as its great her for tinting :beer We have tinters on every corner here, guys tinting full jeeps etc for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke, Dont know bout the other tinters here though but its good for me coz I fix lllooooooooooaaaaaaaaaddddddsssssssssssssss of these guys jobs :beer Pain in the arse stripping it though :thumb

Guest TintMeUp
Hey come to glasgow as its great her for tinting :thumb We have tinters on every corner here, guys tinting full jeeps etc for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke, Dont know bout the other tinters here though but its good for me coz I fix lllooooooooooaaaaaaaaaddddddsssssssssssssss of these guys jobs :lol2 Pain in the arse stripping it though :lol2

lol, You're the type of dude I wat to be trained like, I don't want to do crappy tint jobs that need to be fixed by someone who actually can tint, what I want is to be able to do it professiaonally here from home, I have a big garage out the back of my house with loads of space, all the tools, all the tint and even tint racks to hold the tint, everything basically, just need to be professioanlly trained all the techniques to it, then on my own practice like hell until I can do an A* job, which will probably be after 1 year/6 months practice, and thats after I take the course. I know that I could use this site to learn all I need to know, then just constantly practice like hell, but I might aswell just go take a training course because im gona be out big money on all the tint I waste in the process of it, so a course can only do good in the end. :lol2

Guest potzy
I'm sure your local tint company's will be more than happy to train you, teach you the skills, invest time and money into you, for you to set up some pi*s poor tinting outfit just around the corner! My advice would be stick to what you know, harsh I will admit but sick of coming across cowboy's who have two months experience, thinking this profession is a quick money maker!!! :nope

I need to agree with this dude, brutal but honest

And there was me thinking of moving to Galsgow :lol

Well I'm gunna give it a shot, if I don't try I'll never know will I.

Potzy great reply, thanks for that. Like I said I'm looking for a career change so want to be in for the long haul, I want the challenges and can work part time until I feel that the time is right to go tinting fulltime. You've given a very grounded reply to how it is, cheers.

I've been reading the forum a lot and was debating whether to take a course at all as it seems to be mainly about practice, but I think I will. The sooner the better...

No problem mate, I know how hard it is and try not to be put off by the replys you get on here but theres been alot of people that come and go asking daft questions but then get shot down by the guys that been here a while so dont take it to heart....good look mate and il try and answer any daft questions for you :shock:lol2

Guest potzy
Hey come to glasgow as its great her for tinting :lol2 We have tinters on every corner here, guys tinting full jeeps etc for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke, Dont know bout the other tinters here though but its good for me coz I fix lllooooooooooaaaaaaaaaddddddsssssssssssssss of these guys jobs :shock Pain in the arse stripping it though :lol

Hey dave....im on my way :nope

Guest Diamond Tints
Hey come to glasgow as its great her for tinting :dunno We have tinters on every corner here, guys tinting full jeeps etc for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke, Dont know bout the other tinters here though but its good for me coz I fix lllooooooooooaaaaaaaaaddddddsssssssssssssss of these guys jobs :beer Pain in the arse stripping it though :evilgrin

Hey dave....im on my way :dunno

On your way? On that mad f***ing bike of yours :beer See you in about 20 mins then, Will put the kettle on :dunno

Hows the racing going anyway Stu??

:beer

Hey come to glasgow as its great her for tinting :thumb We have tinters on every corner here, guys tinting full jeeps etc for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No joke, Dont know bout the other tinters here though but its good for me coz I fix lllooooooooooaaaaaaaaaddddddsssssssssssssss of these guys jobs :thumb Pain in the arse stripping it though :thumb

And this from the guy trained by Stevie Wonder

Archived