First Flat Glass Film Order In

Took the advice of a friend and ordered SolarGard Stainless Steel 35 for a small commercial job. Brand new to tinting and especially flat glass so not sure if I got the right product. Film looks good, but is there adhesive on it? Doesn't seem sticky under the liner. Anyone use it or like it?

Guest darkdan

Water activated adhesive.

What kind of window is it? Framing system? Shadowing? Low-E? Tempered, Annealed, Laminated?

You have to follow the film-to-glass chart to know if SS35 is right.

Water activated adhesive.

What kind of window is it? Framing system? Shadowing? Low-E? Tempered, Annealed, Laminated?

You have to follow the film-to-glass chart to know if SS35 is right.

and where might I find this chart? looks like 2 pane. owner couldn't tell me much about it as it was there when he bought the place. not low-E. no shadowing. not sure if tempered, annealed, or laminated. like I said, new to the biz. what do I look for to determine these?

:evilgrin

Aw come on, you really cannot be serious about this

You try and sell a product for install and have no clue what to do or even if you ordered the right product.

I don't to bust your chops, but you need to do your homework before you launch.

Aw come on, you really cannot be serious about this

You try and sell a product for install and have no clue what to do or even if you ordered the right product.

I don't to bust your chops, but you need to do your homework before you launch.

didn't figure there was much need for homework as the supplier reccommended only 2 types of film for this state. :evilgrin just got worried if they new what they were talking about. and I honestly didn't know what to look for either. Gotta start somewhere. I'm just jumping right in. I usually learn things the hard way. Hope I don't get myself into any unneeded trouble though. I agree though. I was in the right place at the right time and the job fell in my lap. My only competitor doesn't do flat glass. I need to learn fast as I assume I will be busy. Any advice or resources welcome.

didn't figure there was much need for homework as the supplier reccommended only 2 types of film for this state. :evilgrin just got worried if they new what they were talking about. and I honestly didn't know what to look for either. Gotta start somewhere. I'm just jumping right in. I usually learn things the hard way. Hope I don't get myself into any unneeded trouble though. I agree though. I was in the right place at the right time and the job fell in my lap. My only competitor doesn't do flat glass. I need to learn fast as I assume I will be busy. Any advice or resources welcome.

I don't know why your state would only be good for two types of film... seems odd, esp. if that came from a film rep.

Anyway - you need to find out the answers to those questions - type of glass, frame, etc. to make sure you don't get into unneeded trouble, and to make sure the film co will back any warranty.

If your rep is local, have him come out and show you how to tint FG and go thru everything you need to know about glass and films. :evilgrin

I don't know why your state would only be good for two types of film... seems odd, esp. if that came from a film rep.

Anyway - you need to find out the answers to those questions - type of glass, frame, etc. to make sure you don't get into unneeded trouble, and to make sure the film co will back any warranty.

If your rep is local, have him come out and show you how to tint FG and go thru everything you need to know about glass and films. :rollin

just realized my distributor and rep are idiots. I know more about the film than they do at this point. I'm on the right track. I tend to overthink everything. the film I have in is perfect for what I'm doing. although, I may switch suppliers due to the service I'm getting. I don't have the time and can't take a loss in money to work for someone else to learn. other than this forum, my distributor is my only source of vital information to insure I'm making the right decisions for my customers. I'm a green pea, I'm infected with the noob disease. but, I'm driven to do this and my supplier is lacking the training on their end to train me. very dissappointed. I don't expect to see my rep come out as I haven't seen him yet and ordered $1000 in film from him in the last 30 days. thanks for the help. you guys are all I got. :evilgrin

I can't find my FTG chart for that film...

At the very least, I would make sure they say that film is safe for the job.

As for future jobs... you might as well look around at all the films and find one that you like, and one that has a rep you like dealing with and who will be willing to help you.

On my SG FTG application chart Stainless Steel 35 is shown as pre-approved for most glass types.

However, I always do a glass survey and fill in Bekaerts FTG Application checklist on anything that isn't tempered glass or on any film which has absorbtion properties over 35%. or if there is any initial shading to take into account.

This is what our UK reps suggest to be on the safe side.

We get really good back up and advice from SG and they will come and do a survey themselves if anything is not straightforward as they will be guaranteeing the install.

As the absorbtion figures for SG SS35 is 48% I would be filing the full application Check List form for their approval. This is usually given over the phone immediately and confirmed by email within 24 hours.

If area reps are no good go to the next level.

Guest darkdan

Depending on your elevation, if it's low-e or not, and if it has vinyl stickers on the windows.....you should be okay.

That's one of those "borderline" films in my opinion. But most of the time you should be okay.

Archived