3M Prestige 70/60 vs. Huper Optik

Guest NCtal

The Residential Film you select for your house  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Of these, which film would you choose and why?

• 3M Prestige Films
    • Huper Optik Films

Hey V4V, Are you saying tinters who tint "out of their homes" are less trusting than businesses who have a storefront?

Your website comment "Many window tinters work from their home and do not carry the insurance requirements. These folks are installing in your home and it is critical that you know the character of these folks!"

I work from home and carry 2 million in insurance and am bonded as well for larger commercial contracts. Besides how many walk-ins do you get who are looking for residential or commercial films? Just curious.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mhun9180
Hey V4V, Are you saying tinters who tint "out of their homes" are less trusting than businesses who have a storefront?

Your website comment "Many window tinters work from their home and do not carry the insurance requirements. These folks are installing in your home and it is critical that you know the character of these folks!"

I work from home and carry 2 million in insurance and am bonded as well for larger commercial contracts. Besides how many walk-ins do you get who are looking for residential or commercial films? Just curious.

I think he's talking about non-insurance carrying installers. Seeings as you have it, don't worry about it. It is just marketing after all :rollin

Guest Readyman

I would go with the Prestige.

It would appear that many of you are against 3M, but am curious if the same holds true with their Prestige line.

3M gets more flack than any other film manufacturer on this board. Now some of it is deserved, some is not.

Have each company put up a sample and then make your decision.

I've spent a considerable amount of time on here lurking and reading but was hoping to get some comparitive advice on selecting the best film to use for residential use on a two-story wall of windows on a south facing wall. It would appear that many of you are against 3M, but am curious if the same holds true with their Prestige line.

Basically, the effort is to not significantly darken the window - but to reduce the heat and fading effects. Glare reduction is a benefit, too, but not at a cost of significantly darker tint. The benefit of a non-metallic film in the Prestige line is useful in that it won't interfere with cellular signals. Huper is more expensive, but I haven't gotten a grasp of the relative pros vs. cons here and would appreciate any guidance.

(The two dominant and most respected installers in my area are 3M and Huper Optik - hence the comparisons).

Thanks!

Huper will not interfere with a cell signal. You need to weigh out the operative technology behind each product. Prestige uses and IR absorbing dye and due to its composition, they have to put the color in the hard coat which is a bad place to put color. The film tends to have a blue look to it but the 70 is not as bad as the darker vlt's.

There are two types of Huper films, ceramic and select. Ceramic is non-metal, non-dye, so you will not have the interference or discoloring issues to worry about. The Select Series has the Drei product which will outperform anything in it's class at 70% TSER and does not look very dark.

Geoshield's IRIS 70 gets mentioned a lot even when the thread is asking about other products. :rollin The one thing you need to understand when looking at the IRIS 70 spec is that it is taken on 1/4" glass rather than 1/8" glass so it makes it difficult to compare it's performance to similar films like the Prestige 70 or Huper Optik's SECH. I don't know why they don't test the IRIS 70 on 1/8" which is a standard for the industry but that will all be straightened out when NFRC Labels are used in the near future.

I think you may be wrong there VC, Geoshield IRs-70 numbers are on 6mm glass (1/4") and the other 30-40-50 films are measured on 3mm (1/8) glass. I am looking at the IRs brochure as I type this. (1/4) inch = 6.35 millimeters close enough

Guest haroldshouseoftint
I've spent a considerable amount of time on here lurking and reading but was hoping to get some comparitive advice on selecting the best film to use for residential use on a two-story wall of windows on a south facing wall. It would appear that many of you are against 3M, but am curious if the same holds true with their Prestige line.

Basically, the effort is to not significantly darken the window - but to reduce the heat and fading effects. Glare reduction is a benefit, too, but not at a cost of significantly darker tint. The benefit of a non-metallic film in the Prestige line is useful in that it won't interfere with cellular signals. Huper is more expensive, but I haven't gotten a grasp of the relative pros vs. cons here and would appreciate any guidance.

(The two dominant and most respected installers in my area are 3M and Huper Optik - hence the comparisons).

Thanks!

Huper will not interfere with a cell signal. You need to weigh out the operative technology behind each product. Prestige uses and IR absorbing dye and due to its composition, they have to put the color in the hard coat which is a bad place to put color. The film tends to have a blue look to it but the 70 is not as bad as the darker vlt's.

There are two types of Huper films, ceramic and select. Ceramic is non-metal, non-dye, so you will not have the interference or discoloring issues to worry about. The Select Series has the Drei product which will outperform anything in it's class at 70% TSER and does not look very dark.

Geoshield's IRIS 70 gets mentioned a lot even when the thread is asking about other products. :evilgrin The one thing you need to understand when looking at the IRIS 70 spec is that it is taken on 1/4" glass rather than 1/8" glass so it makes it difficult to compare it's performance to similar films like the Prestige 70 or Huper Optik's SECH. I don't know why they don't test the IRIS 70 on 1/8" which is a standard for the industry but that will all be straightened out when NFRC Labels are used in the near future.

I think you may be wrong there VC, Geoshield IRs-70 numbers are on 6mm glass (1/4") and the other 30-40-50 films are measured on 3mm (1/8) glass. I am looking at the IRs brochure as I type this. (1/4) inch = 6.35 millimeters close enough

:evilgrin unless my eyes are failing me, that's exactly what V posted :evilgrin

Archived