Commercial bids - do you charge for them???

This might not be a valid comparison, but Body Shops charge for estimates, and you are going to them, because time is money.

When I was having trouble with the A/C in my house, I owed the A/C folks money just to walk up to the door.

How many Dentisits or Drs would not charge for you to get an estimate to get work done ?

If I did Commercial tinting, I would most certainly charge to give an estimate, and advise them based on where they are that there is a trip charge involved when giving an estimate.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost everybody here seems to offer free quotes. I've been to body shops that do, even heating and cooling guys. However, if it was a large job, for example, not a small store front but a whole office building, several floors, and you're going to spend quite awhile there and then afterwards crunching numbers, you could probably let them know ahead of time that because of the scale of the quote, you have to charge a small fee. But then again... if you didn't, and got the job, would you really care about that little bit up front? IMO, it's one of those things you just have to choke up and offer for free... and make sure that all your other prices are where they should be to be profitable and make up for small losses like that :thumb

Ever figured up exactly how much you're spending per mile you drive. I haven't, but a geek friend of mine does this and I take his word for it. He figures gas mileage, insurance, payment, maintenance, depreciation, etc. all money spent on his truck over the month and miles driven. You spend more per mile you drive than you think. I'll give em my time. But, they're not getting my money. I'll feel most custys out, however, my rule of thumb will be a TRUCK ROLL fee. Used it daily in my satellite/security biz and is a standard for service companies. I plan to charge $49 for my truck to roll to their place regardless of anything. If I get the job, I will refund the Truck Roll fee to the customer. I plan to give them a $49 coupon saying so. Most companies don't. But, I figure to mention that makes them feel better about dealing with me and spending the $49 upfront. I'll be more careful residential. However, its a tax deduction for business. If they can't afford you, then you have no business being there. I learned that the hard way. I used to babysit every customer and cater to their every need unlike my competition. Never got me more business or referrals. One big account makes up for multiple puny accounts. Don't waste time, even if you need the business. Sometimes you gotta get back to fundamentals, and stick with them. They always work.

Well, I just called about two bids I gave recently. The one already got it done by another company. She didn't know why they picked who they picked - she was just getting various quotes.

The other place she said they never heard back from the head office... so she's not sure if it was done or what. It's not close to me, so I haven't been by to see if the windows are tinted. I'll definately check it out if I'm ever in the area again.

Guest metro jim

I Think the free estimate may be going out the door with the lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty is extremely misleading, especialy when you try and find a 15 year old invoice and can't. The free estimate thing always sounds nice but if you were one of the 5 companies that showed up at the same time to give film estimates (In Napperville on that rainyday) you can begin to realize how much money gets wasted on the free estimate (2 hrs/+$15 in gas on that one). Unfortunately if you charge may may loose an opportunity because there will always be a few that continue the free estimate.

Guest FilmBlazer
I Think the free estimate may be going out the door with the lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty is extremely misleading, especialy when you try and find a 15 year old invoice and can't. The free estimate thing always sounds nice but if you were one of the 5 companies that showed up at the same time to give film estimates (In Napperville on that rainyday) you can begin to realize how much money gets wasted on the free estimate (2 hrs/+$15 in gas on that one). Unfortunately if you charge may may loose an opportunity because there will always be a few that continue the free estimate.

It is your responsibility to be able to find a 15 year old invoice :thumb

Free estimates is part of the business...start charging for estimates and you will see more "no thanks" from potential customers.

I agree... By charging for estimates I would be losing 50% of the work I get. :cold

Archived