Do I have Llumar clear uv tint on car?

Guest kangta13

Stupid question.. but just had my car tinted at sunshield in sherman oaks.. I asked for clear uv protection on the front windshield of the car. but looking outside in on the windshield.. with doors and hatch open.. that's looking just through one layer of tint with light coming in (its a hatchback). the film looks dark? it looks the same almost like side doors.. almost like 35 - 50 percent.. I took it back to the shop the next day.. and he showed me the 35 percent llumar and "supposedly" a sample that was the 99 clear.. and the clear looked only slightly lighter than the 35 percent.. now I'm not very familiar with the clear tint.. so didn't want to argue.. but am I wrong?? doesn't clear mean clear? anyone in the tint business know the answer to this.. and if need be, I can post pics comparing side and windshield with one layer open to sun.. I'm in the san gabriel, ca area.. so if need be, willing to take it to a shop to get it checked.. preferrable if llumar clear uv.. so I can prove it to the shop and get money back..

clear does mean but, the windshield or clear glass already meters at 83-71% already, so applying a coating (depending what %) the percentage adds on.

what percentage of UV CLEAR did you get? I install mostly 85%. so if you take the percentage they installed X the percentage your clear glass has you will get your answer give or take - +.

to determine the percentage on a clear glass you would need a tint meter :thumb:lol2

Guest kangta13

It's hard to tell from pic.. because of the 15 k limit.. and the windshield pic in the middle looks so much lighter because I had opened all the doors.. and I think the light from the left side came through the windshield lightening the tint.. and the angle of the driver door has shine on it because the angle I had to take to get the background.. I'll probably have to take another set and upload somewhere else.. so far do you think it's something easily noticeable and that would likely give me a ticket being in california.. I'll try to post another set.. been so busy.. but thanks for the help..

post-23941-1205140892.jpg

Windshields already block UV due to the laminate in between the pieces of annealed glass. There is no need to tint your windshield to block UV, the tinter should have told you that. I'd take it back and have it removed.

Also applying film to your windshield changes the way it reacts in a crash and isn't as safe as it would be otherwise, whereas the windshield haves some give when struck with your head in a crash.

This is not entirely true. Glass, by itself, blocks a portion of UV. The laminate in a windshield blocks a further portion, but is not thick enough to be significant. This can be easily proven by using a UV meter on a sunny day.

WITH tint, my windshield still lets through about 10 microwatts/cm2 of UVA+UVB radiation.

Guest scottydosnntkno
It's hard to tell from pic.. because of the 15 k limit.. and the windshield pic in the middle looks so much lighter because I had opened all the doors.. and I think the light from the left side came through the windshield lightening the tint.. and the angle of the driver door has shine on it because the angle I had to take to get the background.. I'll probably have to take another set and upload somewhere else.. so far do you think it's something easily noticeable and that would likely give me a ticket being in california.. I'll try to post another set.. been so busy.. but thanks for the help..

host your pictures with photobucket, then copy the link and click the little picture icon when making a post, so their bigger. Right now their TINY :spit

If you want to you can remove the film your self, its a relatively easy process, especially on a windshield. Just peel off the film itself, and it should leave the glue. Then spray the glue with windex and use a straight razor blade in a holder and scrape it at a steep angle like removing a sticker off glass. Nice n easy

Guest oasisglatint

host your pictures with photobucket, then copy the link and click the little picture icon when making a post, so their bigger. Right now their TINY :nope

If you want to you can remove the film your self, its a relatively easy process, especially on a windshield. Just peel off the film itself, and it should leave the glue. Then spray the glue with windex and use a straight razor blade in a holder and scrape it at a steep angle like removing a sticker off glass. Nice n easy

Hey Scotty,

Don't expect much from Kangta......... notice the date of his last post!?!?!?

I think I read on a thread some time back, that he ran that windshield tinted car into a daycare full of kids.... that happened to be having a "night-time" walk old folks day and pet sitting event for charity. Killed and dis-membered bout 15 people and numerous helpless animals.

Hopefully there's a lesson to be learned here!!!

:twocents

Guest scottydosnntkno

host your pictures with photobucket, then copy the link and click the little picture icon when making a post, so their bigger. Right now their TINY :hmmm

Hey Scotty,

Don't expect much from Kangta......... notice the date of his last post!?!?!?

I think I read on a thread some time back, that he ran that windshield tinted car into a daycare full of kids.... that happened to be having a "night-time" walk old folks day and pet sitting event for charity. Killed and dis-membered bout 15 people and numerous helpless animals.

Hopefully there's a lesson to be learned here!!!

:hmmm

all that BS because of a windshield that might have 50% on it :hmmm

its not that hard to see out of, it really doesn't affect it all, day or night

Archived