Which would be your pick??? Newbee needs help...

Guest belusch

Guest belusch

Hello,

After alot of searching and reading on this forum, it would appear that my original choice of 3M may not be as good as it's brand name would otherwise indicate. I am looking to tint my house as a DIY. There seems to be so many tints out there that could fit my demands after looking at this forum, but which is the best or the most recommended. All of my windows are facing in a west direction without any obstructions. I do have neighbors to the west and I don't want to blind them either. I live in Sandy, UT and our average temp during the summer is between 93-95 with many days hovering around 100. My primary purpose for this tint is heat reduction.. As far as privacy or views I am not really concerned about these issues. I also am not opposed to putting a 15, 20, 25 tint on the windows but I do have double paned windows. What would your recommendations be and where could I purchase the product either directly or online??

Thanks for your help.

belusch

Guest secretagentswole
Hello,

After alot of searching and reading on this forum, it would appear that my original choice of 3M may not be as good as it's brand name would otherwise indicate. I am looking to tint my house as a DIY. There seems to be so many tints out there that could fit my demands after looking at this forum, but which is the best or the most recommended. All of my windows are facing in a west direction without any obstructions. I do have neighbors to the west and I don't want to blind them either. I live in Sandy, UT and our average temp during the summer is between 93-95 with many days hovering around 100. My primary purpose for this tint is heat reduction.. As far as privacy or views I am not really concerned about these issues. I also am not opposed to putting a 15, 20, 25 tint on the windows but I do have double paned windows. What would your recommendations be and where could I purchase the product either directly or online??

Thanks for your help.

belusch

Residential film I would suggest that you use Llumar. But if you have not ever layed film before you might actually save money by paying some one by the time your done. That also all depends on what you want your finished product to look like.

Laying film with an end result being virtually flawless may not be somthing a DIY can achieve one time around. But not impossible.

you can buy from online all over. the question is can you do a succesfu installation by yourself? its easier said than done believe me :thumb .

I suggest you would get more bang for your buck if you spend a bit extra if you first get a few quotes from installers in your area, that way you can see different options each installer has.

Guest vclimber

SLC is at about 4200ft and has some huge temperature swings. I would be careful about buying film online or who you get product suggestions from. There is a company called Architectural Tinting in Sandy, I think the guy's name is Joel. He's been around a long time and knows what works in that area. :thumb

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

belusch

It is said that someone who acts as their own lwayer has a fool for a client.

This is equally true for someone who does their home themselves with window film.

The majority of the dealers and installation people on this board are successful experts at installing window film. It isn't a skill that one can read like a "Window Tinting For Dummies" pamphlet.

It takes skill, practice and talent.

No matter the brand.

You deserve a written warranty. (You won't get that by DIY)

You deserve the benefit of your contractors years of installation experience and knowledge.

Your time, your labor is worth value.

The contractors ability, successful third party referrals are worth value.

The end result, a beautiful installation is worth your investment!

Get three estimates. Compare.

It isn't the same as falling off a log!

Guest Niche

I dont know of any over the counter window films that are worth spit. they are all dyed to some degree and only come in small amounts. at least that's the story here in SA TX.

Archived