Cornering Flat Glass

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Niche
Trimming the corners perfectly has been emphasized on the board more that once. Anyone got a special technique for getting perfect corner cuts?

cut away from the corner, not "tward" the corner. what issues are you having that your corners aren't perfect?

Trimming the corners perfectly has been emphasized on the board more that once. Anyone got a special technique for getting perfect corner cuts?

cut away from the corner, not "tward" the corner. what issues are you having that your corners aren't perfect?

none yet. first FG scheduled for this week. trying to get a technique down in my mind. thanks for that tip.

like I said the other day. Give me a call if you need anything answered directly. If you were doing it on Saturday I might be able to come help for a small amount....didn't you say it was just over 100 square feet? My finance's step mom lives in Lexington and we could go for a visit....I don't have any free days otherwise this week.

It would be so much easier to show you instead of trying to tell you.....

Like I said before, make a relief cut on the corner of the laid film which allows you to use your edge tool to lay the film down so you can cut towards the corner or away, whichever u prefer:

CUT.jpg

Please send $50 to my Paypal account for showing you this very technical diagram.....lol

Guest windoworx

What you want to do is have your first 50 window 17 feet up.

By the time you get to the last one you will have it figured out.

The less overlap you have, the easier it is to get into the corner and the less material to crunch up.

I have a 5 way tool cut into a triangle. I work it into the corner and hold it. I put my blade into the crease and make the relief cut.

This is most effective when the edge is deep. If it is flat, Hard card in the corner and cut across.

I have started using scissors to improve corners in deep recesses.

On normal flat glass windows the 45' relief cut works well and I get good results but there are some situations when it proves difficult to get a clean corner even using a relief cut.

Especially when the corner is deeply recessed, or awkward to get a knife in say in the corner of a conservatory roof.

I would often find that even if the film was not creased it would not lie down nicely straight away or it may be difficult to judge how far to make the relief cut and cut a tiny bit too far into the film leaving a small cut on close inspection.

My solution which I have now been using a lot for the last 12 months is to not bother with a relief cut and start / stop my edge cuts about 1cm from the corner.

diag 1

corner-1.jpg

I trim off the surplus leaving a corner like diag 2

corner-2.jpg

I then lift the whole corner of the film away from the glass enough to trim the last cm with a pair of sharp scissors.

With a long pair of scissors it is easy to line up straight with the already cut edge and trim towards it.

Every corner I have done like this seems to stick perfectly with no cut into the film and no crease.

As I say this technique I use mainly on Conservatory roofs with awkward access into the corners and films which crease easily such as Silver 20.

Archived