Uneven tint shade

Guest mso4

I had a shop put Llumar limo tint (6%) on all the back windows of my TL. So rear window and four back/side windows (behind driver/passenger).

Anyways, when I took the car home. I notice the rear window was slightly lighter than the back/side ones. It is most noticeable at night with low light. When I look toward the rear of the car through the back windows at night, I can barely see out of the back/side ones (I don't mind this) but the rear window seems so bright. This makes it very difficult to see out the back/side windows. I find it very annoying since the rear glass looks as if it's not even tinted. During the day from the outside, I can barely see though the back/side windows but I can definitely see more through the rear window. Something about uneven tint shades that doesn't look right at all.

When I called the shop, they would'nt admit or deny that they put in the wrong film. They told me for the rear window they put in a film that they thought would not interfere with my FM and satellite radios (I don't have navigation). Something about carbon based film. But just bring the car back and they'll make sure the tint matches this time, and hopefully without interfering with my radio. As if implying that I'm taking a risk of having the tint interfere with my radio if I bring the car back for a redo. They also said something about how they only do limo tints on 2-3 cars a year. As if giving me a reason why they can't match the film shade.

So to those of you who are professional tinters, does the above seem reasonable? Or is the shop trying to cover their butts because they dropped the ball? I mean, how often do you guys put in the wrong tint shade by honest mistake? And how hard is it to match limo tint shades?

I really don't mind if they just tell me they made a mistake. I like the shop since I've done business with them several times before. But this time I feel like they're trying to hide something from me. Thanks for all your opinions.

Guest darkdan

Between batch to batch variations in both GLASS and film it's possible it could be lighter.

Not to mention since the glass is slanted and four times larger than a side window more light goes through it.

"looks as if it's not tinted" ???

Guest clint4883

its kinda hard to say if its different shades with out looking at it personally, but it is true about the interferance with the radio if your antenna is in the rear window. they would have had to use a non metalllized film, but they should have used it every where to make it match. at least thats what I do. it kinda sounds to me like they may have used 5% on the rear sides and maybe didn't have 5% in a non metalized film so they used 15% or something around that.

Guest Key West
its kinda hard to say if its different shades with out looking at it personally, but it is true about the interferance with the radio if your antenna is in the rear window. they would have had to use a non metalllized film, but they should have used it every where to make it match. at least thats what I do. it kinda sounds to me like they may have used 5% on the rear sides and maybe didn't have 5% in a non metalized film so they used 15% or something around that.

If it was a DYED film, it would appear to be darker than metallized, Not lighter. As much as everyone on this board would like to believe that all tint shops are ethical, I'll pose a question. What would you do IF you were on the last car of the day, had everything done but the backglass, and ran out of that VLT of film? I just KNOW that everyone on this board would do the right thing and tell the custy to come back in a day or so to finish with the film that will match

We all know that there are FAR TOO MANY places out there that would try and "sneak one by" on a customer. Thats one of the MAJOR problems this industry is faced with, a severe lack of ethics.

It is QUITE possible that the dude got a lighter shade on the back, so the shop could finish the job and get paid. Just one more reason for customers NOT to shop for the cheapest price!!!

So here's an update. I took the car back and told the owner that the center rear window is lighter than the rear sides. I told him I want the rear center window to have the same limo tint as the rear sides. He said ok. I even saw him mark on a piece of paper to put limo in the rear center window.

A day later I came back to pick up my car. I couldn't believe it but this is what they did. They removed ALL the rear tints and put in a lighter shade in all the windows. So instead of replacing the rear center with 5% limo like I asked them to. They put in 15% on all the windows.

I'm so pissed I didn't even call the guy to tell him. And these guys are professionals. They do a lot of tints for new car dealers. I didn't try to save money by going to some cheap tint shop either. I wanted them to do it right and for the car to look good.

On a brighter side, I'm beginning to like this slightly less than limo tint. I thought the limo may be a bit too dark it's kinda hard to see on the sides. But I'm still pissed by the fact that the shop couldn't follow simple directions. I have no idea why they would create more work for themselves by doing all the windows over.

Guest Crackz

its easier to do the sides over then the rear ... but that was a shady thing to do ... I would have a talk with them tell them you want them to meter the glass and meter the 5% tint in front of you :rollin

Guest clint4883

yeah I is much easier to take it off the sides than it is to strip the backglass. that is pretty shady. kinda makes me think that maybe they did run out of film the first time like keywest said. can't say for sure. I would call them back or take it back to them. they need to know that custys aren't stupid and can't be fooled by shady business actions. if you don't say something they will think they got away with something and are likely to try it again with the next custy.

Archived