Dry shrinking

Been tinting for 1 year now. I have no problem w/ rollups or 1/4's, the problem is my Dry Shriking, its just really inconsistant. There are so many different techniques w/ Dry shrinking as in Heat guns, what you shrink w/ (Soap, dryer sheets, different films, and how you move heat gun(move in circles, back and forth, start from edge, start from middle. :evilgrin I practiced Dry Shrinking on a 94 Accord Coupe yesterday, That thing shrank as sh***y as it did from day 1 when I first started tinting. Currently I use Global film and a Wagner heat gun. I feel like I should have Dry Shrinking down by now. How long did it take some of you guys to get it down. I'm considering switching to Suntek or Llumar and getting a better heat gun. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :dunno

Guest darkdan

When I finally get the hang of it I'll let you know. =)

I couldn't dry shrink very well until I got rid of my craftsman heat gun and picked up a wagner.

So try a few different things, but it's going to take a while.

It frustrated me that I can double cut/shrink rollups in a good amount of time, only to have my time killed by running into trouble on the back glass. If I can shrink the back glass and apply it will take me 30 min or so start to finish. So if I can do 4 rollups and 2 quarters in 2 hours and do the back glass in 30 mins that a 2.5 hour tint job... not bad, but when I screw up on the back glass its adds 20+20+20+20+20 minutes to the job. Now the job took 4+ hours. Ahhh!! :evilgrin

Guest darkdan

Everything takes practice.

I'm the world's slowest window tinter. It took me a little over 3 hours the other night to tint a Jetta. Doesn't bother me.

Guest FIREMAN68

Don't know if this will help but I remember when I was in your shoes (sometimes still am) but I figured out that I was trying to shrink to fast. Make sure you give it enough heat before trying to push it out and push slow to medium. Also I don't mess to much with small fingers ill hit them when I wet-check it. They say A SLOW JOB IS A FAST JOB naa mean :thumb

Don't know if this will help but I remember when I was in your shoes (sometimes still am) but I figured out that I was trying to shrink to fast. Make sure you give it enough heat before trying to push it out and push slow to medium. Also I don't mess to much with small fingers ill hit them when I wet-check it. They say A SLOW JOB IS A FAST JOB naa mean :thumb

By push it out, do u mean with a glove? I was thiking of trying it again cause I never "over shrunk" w/ a glove. Im gonna try Dry shrinking w/ soap (ivory) and smooth it out w/ a glove next time.

try the m-dog soap method. ive never tried dryer sheets or nothin. first time with m-dog was like being born again. I think if I can avoid a wet shrink, I will. M-dog's soap method is the way, the truth, the light. as far as methods, just give them a try. I shrink in 4 sections. top L, to R, bot L, Bot R. works like a champ... except on rabbits.

Using m-dog soap, drier sheet whatever leaves a waxy residue will work. trim sides and bottom leaving the top then Try doing it with the car running defrost on put you H anchor alittle lower then middle . That way its easier to shrink at the bottom. Then do the lift and pull method on top. As you pull it will cause fingers start shrink those and smooth it down with your glove. After your done do your final trim and hit all the edges again with your heat gun to smooth the extra fingers. :thumb Hope that helps

Guest FIREMAN68

By push it out, do u mean with a glove? I was thiking of trying it again cause I never "over shrunk" w/ a glove. Im gonna try Dry shrinking w/ soap (ivory) and smooth it out w/ a glove next time.

Yes with a glove... the sec the film stops shrinking stop the heat push with your gloved hand. I use drier sheet cuz all ya have to do is just wet it and wipe it then wait a min till its dry. But whatever works for you. :thumb good luck

Archived