Canadian Legallity

Guest Katie0530

Guest Katie0530

This is for u Canadian tinters. I had a customer come into the shop this afternoon for a price on stripping all the windows on his car. This car was done in a chrome film and who ever did the job knew what they were doing. I asked him why he wanted to strip these windows and he said he was moving to Canada for work and they didnt allow tint in Canada. He is worried about going through customs to get into Canada and liscensing the car there. I told him I would strip it for him but also told him that I knew there are tint shops there from seeing u tinters on this web site. If I could get some advice from a tinter in Canada about wether their vehicle could be liscensed there or not. I would appreciate it.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/aut...ovincelaws.html

Ontario's fairly easy going, as far as I've ever seen (and cops have told me) they're cool with anything 35% and above on the fronts, but legally it's up to the officer so, some get away with darker if they're nice law abiding people and others who are dicks to them or drive something off the wall will be harrassed. Some provinces (I think Alberta, New Brunswick, etc) don't allow ANY film on the front rollups. Most provinces allow anything on the backs. I'm in Ontario btw.

Short story... depends where he's moving. If he's coming up here for work, I'd take a stab in the dark and assume he's going to Alberta for the oil boom :dunno In that case the front windows have to be stripped.

Ontario's fairly easy going, as far as I've ever seen (and cops have told me) they're cool with anything 35% and above on the fronts, but legally it's up to the officer so, some get away with darker if they're nice law abiding people and others who are dicks to them or drive something off the wall will be harrassed. Some provinces (I think Alberta, New Brunswick, etc) don't allow ANY film on the front rollups. Most provinces allow anything on the backs. I'm in Ontario btw.

Short story... depends where he's moving. If he's coming up here for work, I'd take a stab in the dark and assume he's going to Alberta for the oil boom :thumb In that case the front windows have to be stripped.

Actually, after doing a ton of research on this in the past couple of days, I have found out that we actually are allowed to put tint on the fronts.....but it has to be 75% or lighter....sooooooo. I should post up the law for you guys to see. It actually says there is to be no aftermarket tint applied to drivers compartment....then in the next sentence it says that the tint cant be darker than 70% :thumb when I get back to the shop ill try and post it. :beer

Oh, and the law may say that in alberta...but its not enforced. I have buddy's out there that have 5% all the way around...including the windshield. :thumb

Short story... depends where he's moving. If he's coming up here for work, I'd take a stab in the dark and assume he's going to Alberta for the oil boom :beer In that case the front windows have to be stripped.

Actually, after doing a ton of research on this in the past couple of days, I have found out that we actually are allowed to put tint on the fronts.....but it has to be 75% or lighter....sooooooo. I should post up the law for you guys to see. It actually says there is to be no aftermarket tint applied to drivers compartment....then in the next sentence it says that the tint cant be darker than 70% :) when I get back to the shop ill try and post it. :thumb

Oh, and the law may say that in alberta...but its not enforced. I have buddy's out there that have 5% all the way around...including the windshield. :thumb

Alberta's expanding so fast they probably have other things to worry and care about than tint. Not to mention... half the well paid cops there probably have it on their own big pick ups :thumb

Really? 70% in NB? Weird. When I was out there my cousin and I went for dinner for one night, and on the way back through the city they had a road block, checking for impaired drivers. My cousin's got something like 20% on the rears of his 5 series, and no film on the fronts. We were just about to leave and the officer made us stop for a second, and got him to roll up his window a couple inches and checked for film :) So even though you might be allowed 75%... I think you'd still get a ticket and have to fight it afterwards. I do know that at his shop he gets a decent number of removal customers, people who have moved there from Ontario and such and the equivalent of the MTO (whatever they call it there) wouldn't let them pass the safety until all their front film was removed :dunno I do know he's written a few letters to whoever in government there requesting that they review the law and make it more reasonable, but obviously a little guy has no effect on that at all... I'm not arguing with you at all, I just think it would be one of those cases where if they're that|\|4L about it in some areas, you're probably better off without it :thumb

It really boils down to which province he's moving to and how|\|4L the person doing the safety is going to to be ..it's an individual discretion most of the time.

If I were him, don't strip it unless told to..even IF he's told to..it'll only be the 2 fronts he'll have to strip.

Short story... depends where he's moving. If he's coming up here for work, I'd take a stab in the dark and assume he's going to Alberta for the oil boom :) In that case the front windows have to be stripped.

Actually, after doing a ton of research on this in the past couple of days, I have found out that we actually are allowed to put tint on the fronts.....but it has to be 75% or lighter....sooooooo. I should post up the law for you guys to see. It actually says there is to be no aftermarket tint applied to drivers compartment....then in the next sentence it says that the tint cant be darker than 70% :) when I get back to the shop ill try and post it. :lol2

Oh, and the law may say that in alberta...but its not enforced. I have buddy's out there that have 5% all the way around...including the windshield. :rollin

Alberta's expanding so fast they probably have other things to worry and care about than tint. Not to mention... half the well paid cops there probably have it on their own big pick ups :lol

Really? 70% in NB? Weird. When I was out there my cousin and I went for dinner for one night, and on the way back through the city they had a road block, checking for impaired drivers. My cousin's got something like 20% on the rears of his 5 series, and no film on the fronts. We were just about to leave and the officer made us stop for a second, and got him to roll up his window a couple inches and checked for film :lol2 So even though you might be allowed 75%... I think you'd still get a ticket and have to fight it afterwards. I do know that at his shop he gets a decent number of removal customers, people who have moved there from Ontario and such and the equivalent of the MTO (whatever they call it there) wouldn't let them pass the safety until all their front film was removed :lol2 I do know he's written a few letters to whoever in government there requesting that they review the law and make it more reasonable, but obviously a little guy has no effect on that at all... I'm not arguing with you at all, I just think it would be one of those cases where if they're that|\|4L about it in some areas, you're probably better off without it :dunno

Yeah, its 75% and its legal...I was told that by the registars office. The law came into effect in 1959 :dunno

Oh, and where is your cousins shop? I know you have said before...I just forget.

I hear this question a great deal. The law in Ontario states that it is up to the police officer's discretion if he can see you or not. A lot of cops put your license on the reverse side of the windows and if they cannot read it they give you a ticket. It all depends on the city in Ontario. Cities like Chatham, Toronto, are very leniant and guys that I deal with put limo all the way around and get away with it. Provinces like Quebec and Manitobia are very strict. cops in winnipeg carry light metres and if their reading comes in under 50% on the front they give you a ticket. They became very strict a few years back because an officer got shot walking up to the side of a car and they said because of the tint he couldn't see the guy in the car. The other provinces that I deal with are all pretty leniant. A lot of times people getting tickets get nailed because they have something else that they are getting pulled over for and they add it on.

Ihave to say after reading what other tinter go through , I feel like UI live in one of the best places around for reasonabe judgement for the law :evileye

Ihave to say after reading what other tinter go through , I feel like UI live in one of the best places around for reasonabe judgement for the law :thumb
Ihave to say after reading what other tinter go through , I feel like UI live in one of the best places around for reasonabe judgement for the law :evileye

Agreed. I like it here :lol2

For sure...best in Canada...without a doubt! :D :d

Archived