Have tint ? need help.

Guest hometheaterman

Guest hometheaterman

I had my rear side windows on my truck tinted a little over a week ago. They had the factory tint which is dipped glass or whatever. It's supposed to be around 18%. They put 5% tint over this and it pretty much blacked out the windows. You can't see in at all it doesn't matter what angle you are at. I just did the rear sides as I wanted to see if I liked it. Well, I did so I took it today to get the rear sliding window tinted with 5% over the factory tint to match. Well, it seems a lot lighter. Looking in I can see through fine which kind of made me not like it. I assumed it would be a little lighter as the windshield lets in so much light but still it seems not much darker than it was with just the factory tint. Anyways if you look out of it it also seems a lot lighter than the sides. I asked them about it and he told me it was the same tint that it just is lighter looking because it's a bigger window. Well, I took it out tonight and drove it and can see fine out of the back window. I remember having 5% before and it being a pita to see out of. If I look out the rear side windows at a hill I was looking at I couldn't even see anything but if I looked out the rear I could see the outline of the hill. This can't be the same tint % but they told me it was. Just seems way lighter inside and out. Did I get ripped off and get something lighter put on there or would 5% really be that much lighter being it's a bigger window? I'd like to know so I can call and complain if it's not the same. I just kind of have a feeling it's not 5% but then again what do I know. I just don't see how looking out the side windows can be soo much darker. And if you open the doors to look in the lights looked dimmed and yellow through the side windows but through the rear just looks bright as day and you can see in fine.

Basically I want to know should I call and complain or is this normal? As much as I paid for this I want the tint I paid for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest losdawg

I was gonna say if it was a dodge with a solid rear glass they dont come factory tinted. If they have a meter tell them to show you its the same. That would be the way to tell.

Guest hometheaterman

No it had factory tint on the rear 3 windows when I got it. Def not a film and they are all tinted. The front ones are 35% and you can clearly see the are a film. I was told the rear is around 18%. I just didn't like it was such a light tint when in the light. I don't know that they have a meter but I may ask. I'm thinking of calling tomorrow to see whats up. I hate to keep bugging them but they just don't seem as dark as they should. Thats why I wanted to ask online to make sure I wasn't bugging them about nothing. I've been lurking here for a bit but never posted so thought this would be a good time too.

Guest thatsnappyguy

for some stupid reason dodge is all messed up when it comes to tinted glass. the back doors would meter to about 20% while the rear sliding glass meters to about 35%. so yes the rear sliding glasses on SOME dodge rams are lighter...looks like u bought the truck with a lighter batched rear glass.

and even if it was a solid back glass....they are sometimes factory tinted. SOME are not. its a dodge thing.

Guest hometheaterman

So you think my rear window is just lighter from the factory? Thats odd.

I have a buddy that has a Dakota and his side two rear windows were tinted from the factory but not the rear window. I thought that was odd.

Guest thatsnappyguy
So you think my rear window is just lighter from the factory? Thats odd.

I have a buddy that has a Dakota and his side two rear windows were tinted from the factory but not the rear window. I thought that was odd.

\\yea and his side windows are closer to 35% then 20%, which u would think. tinting dodge trucks are always tricky when it comes to matching and the graduation of lighter in the front to darker in the rear. its rare that the rear glass is the same as the 1/4's

I had a dakota 99. same as ya freind. I wanted 5% all around the back and I wanted it to match. so what I had to do was add 35% film + 20% film on the 1/4's to make it closest to 5%. then put 5% on the rear glass and it was a very close match. and im not gonna mention the front doors. :rollin

Guest hometheaterman

Would that affect how it looks looking out too? It just seems soo much lighter when looking out the rear. Doesn't seem hard to see at night at all. I can see the outlines of stuff even when it is dark. Not much worse than before. I remember having 5% before on a truck with no factory tint and it was a pita to see out of. I don't think this is that bad but maybe it is.

So basically you guys think the factory tint is the problem not that they put a lighter % tint on?

Archived