2009 G8

Guest Kokomo Tint & Dent

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok guys, here's how it is done in the land downunder where the car is built:

1. Rarely do we remove door trim panels- remove phillips head at top front of door and torx screw behind plastic cover in door handle.

2. Then gently (but firmly) pull the top of the door trim back until the clips pop away from the inner door skin. then, while holding the door trim back to give clearance, remove the top rubber (you guys cal it a gasket). you will also have to remove the plastic guide as Beano said, and easily enough done by twisting towards front of car. There is plenty of room then to slide fully peeled film down (stuff this rubber tucking idea!) and finish as usual. Rear doors same, but only have the torx screw.

3. at least heat shrink rear wind up window, but may as well do front while you are there!

4. yes, the upper half of the rear wind up window moves away, so allow for this when cutting film.

5. quarter glass, is dot matrix all around, simple.

6. most of us never tint behind/over the third brake light.

7. take the time to prepare the dot matrix on top of the rear screen (1200 wet and dry and/or x100 etc), can be a few issues with film peeling off matrix in top corners if rushed.

8. simple rear screen to shrink. very flat

9. should not take more than an hour and a half to tint well (2hrs if taking your time/talking/smoking etc). If it takes longer, you are either unfamiliar with the car, a newbie tinter or need to consider another job!

10. Any other questions, ( Sure I forgot something along the way) just ask!

11. I have tinted more of these than I care to remember, so I am familiar with the Pontiac G8/ VE Holden Commodore - In fact, I have owned one for the last 2 years :cool

post-30594-1291897652.jpg

I did this car yesterday so it's fresh in my mind. I'll condense the above post:

1. It'll be obvious how to remove the gaskets without pulling the panels.

2. Tint behind the brakelight , it will look more professional if allowed in your area. It's easy, just pull down on it to allow for clearance as others have described.

3. No shrinking is required on any rolldowns however would make it slightly easier on the rears. Easy car but would prefer tinting G6 over it :coffee

just finished one this week. It was a friends car that was getting body work done at our shop so I had plenty of time. After a lackluster previous job with gaps on side windows due to trim we opted to pull all glass. Did have to shrink a little since it was overall bigger than typically if left in car. 20% Llumar all around and 35% over 3rd brake. Ditto on what Beano said about the little felt guide inside the doors. I can imagine that would cause issues if you never had a inside peak. Overall job looks TnA over the previous Jabrone Job, no light gaps now and micro edged for a added touch. I will have to re-size the pic and post up later.

Archived