anyone in ny get a letter from the attorney general?

jttint1

Guest vclimber

Here's the president of the IWFA, Tom Niziolek's comment:

"But for a shop that engages in this illegal activity, negative exposure and costly citations are just two of the risks they face. Insurance companies and litigation also could be factors if an accident is caused by illegal tint. Once again, the majority of window film companies are committed not only to their own success, but also the success of the entire industry. And this commitment is reflected in the ethical way they conduct business. But there remain a few whose practices threaten to corrode our collective credibility. So, if you are engaged in any of the above activities, do us all a favor … knock it off! "

-WF Mag

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West

"But for a shop that engages in this illegal activity, negative exposure and costly citations are just two of the risks they face. Insurance companies and litigation also could be factors if an accident is caused by illegal tint. Once again, the majority of window film companies are committed not only to their own success, but also the success of the entire industry. And this commitment is reflected in the ethical way they conduct business. But there remain a few whose practices threaten to corrode our collective credibility. So, if you are engaged in any of the above activities, do us all a favor … knock it off! "

-WF Mag

I could not agree more wholeheartedly. And I wish that the insurance companies would do more to deny claims on cars with illegal tint. This practice IS giving this industry a black eye. That being said, I'd REALLY like to know what the IWFA is going to do for our NY brothers. Are they even going to get involved?I really DO understand the economics of trying to stay in business and illegal tint. But the answer is to tint legally, and organise to challenge the validity of the tint laws, not break them. That just makes everyone look bad.

I am a tint shop on Long Island and did get a letter from the attornney general.They wanted advertising materials documents invoices customer names and so on they will get NOTHING!Right now I dont believe ther is a law in N.Y. for the person applying the film.If there was the kid who walks into pep boys, buys Illegal tint and does it in his driveway would be arrested.They can only ticket the driver.A friend of mine in the same area got busted by a sting and they did nothing more than warn him because there was nothing else they could do.The attorney general note is just another scare tactic, it is a very slippery slope.If we did 70% on all but the back we would be out of business in a week.But they cant just send this to some shops and not others,they would have to stop every tint shop in N.Y.which means stop the sale from the people who sell to us and pep boys (Which is opening up a can of worms)we either stand together or go down together we are just honest business people trying to make a living not dr*g dealers!!!

:twocents As I dont reside in NY, I understand your delema. A 70%vlt is rediculous, and most new cars have that factory. I just wonder though, if they sent a letter to the Unique shop, they advertise illegal tint on almost every episode, and yes, I realize some cars are out of state, but most of the states they deliver to dont allow 20% on front roll ups, but, they probably get special considerations since they are sooo famous. Cops in my town want and get illegal tint on almost everything, yet the only two exemptions in our tint law is for a medical waiver, or the rear of a K9 vehicle. Our MPV vlt is any on rear sides, and rear glass, we use to include crew cab trucks into this category, in 2005, they added an amendment which excluded pickups, and the vlt for the rear side and back glass are to be 27% net, yet the factory tint is darker, go figure that, I can buy the truck darker than I can tint it myself.

I had an altercation with a cop last year. I tinted a vehicle legal, with certification stickers in each window, as required by law. It seems that the customer went to the local store and bought some 5% film, and had a friend, or himself, tint over my legal job. The police wanted to charge me for that job. Luckly, I tint all the way to the edge, and they were well short, which caught me a break since the police had a little common since, this time. Today, I dont put a sticker on anything with my name on it, for this reason, until they stop selling film at various retail locations to any joe blow on the street. Is this illegal, yes, but so is fraud on behalf of some customers. Long story short, be careful what you do, we started taking pictures afterwards showing the lightness of the film, just in case.

its not just one shop.im finding out its many.good point with the pep boys.I hate when people tell us to stop the illegal tinting in NY.it's all illegal!were just try to pay the bills,and mine are large!

Guest Tunefx

Hey big money thanks for the welcome.I just dont understand why some shops got this letter and some didnt? If I try to go 100% legal or stop tinting the guy down the block will get all my business.Im not saying to tint Illegal but there has to be a better Way!I know 4 shops who got the letter and 4 that didnt that doesnt seem fair.I think they want to see how many will come to them with there tail between their legs.I think they are going about it the wrong way they would have to stop the sale of any tint other than 70% to anyone in N.Y. but the problem with that is we can tint back windows 15% or darker by law.The other problem is cars come stock with the driver and passenger a very light shade but by going over it 70% if you meter it it will show a little darker and blam a ticket(if the cops want to go by the book) So what do we do? jttint1 is right the bills keep rolling in and there is always someone down the block who will tint cheaper or tint darker than you!But as long as you can walk into pep boys or aid auto and buy dark film then it cant be illegal to sell it or all those places would be breaking the law.So what is the answer????

I dont have an answer, or at least a popular one. There are allot of people on here who will bash your, the guy down the block will do it if I dont idea.

I have set up an account with my city and county police dept, and tint all sorts of vehicles for them, and they dont follow the law, or dont even seem to care to. But, the police in this area dont seem bothered by the tint law, and for some, dont even know what it is.

You have to decide what is best for your business. Lawsuits are expensive. Sounds like you may need a lawyer. Sounds like you guys need to band together up there and fight the law. Get customers to band with you guys and gals, and fight it. There is power in numbers.

I never understood how you can tint a car with 15 to 5 percent on the rear and be legal, and nothing on the front doors, and this makes it safer for the police, when most pull up behind you. Seems smarter to have the same vlt all around.

-WF Mag

I don't think illegal tint causes accidents, stupid driving does. It's like the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument, though.

Maybe Guns, Window tint, and mountain climbing should all be illegal...

No, not really. Just window tinting. :poke:lol

Guest Sunlimited

I think this stems back to the two police officers who were shot, by a felon who was facing life in prison. He was going to shoot it out with the police no matter what, and the media coverage all placed the blame on the fact the "rear section of the suv they were driving in was tinted." I cant remember what politician or police spokesman was on the news shortly after, but he called for stricter tint laws saying this wouldn't have happened had the police been able to see inside the vehicle.....It sucks, here in CT we get quite a few custies from NY and always advise them of the legalities in NY. Like everyone else said NY tinters have to band together, ask for help from the iwfa, and pray for the best

I think this stems back to the two police officers who were shot, by a felon who was facing life in prison. He was going to shoot it out with the police no matter what, and the media coverage all placed the blame on the fact the "rear section of the suv they were driving in was tinted." I cant remember what politician or police spokesman was on the news shortly after, but he called for stricter tint laws saying this wouldn't have happened had the police been able to see inside the vehicle.....It sucks, here in CT we get quite a few custies from NY and always advise them of the legalities in NY. Like everyone else said NY tinters have to band together, ask for help from the iwfa, and pray for the best

I think I remember that article being discussed on here. I think the perps worked for a dealership, stole the new suv off the lot, and then got into the shot out. They never did say if it was aftermarket film, if it wasn't, they need to go after the vehicle mans. not us. :lol

Guest JUSTIN

instead of gun control or window film control....how about nutjob control?!

Archived