anyone in ny get a letter from the attorney general?

jttint1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
Here's the president of the IWFA, Tom Niziolek's comment:

"But for a shop that engages in this illegal activity, negative exposure and costly citations are just two of the risks they face. Insurance companies and litigation also could be factors if an accident is caused by illegal tint. Once again, the majority of window film companies are committed not only to their own success, but also the success of the entire industry. And this commitment is reflected in the ethical way they conduct business. But there remain a few whose practices threaten to corrode our collective credibility. So, if you are engaged in any of the above activities, do us all a favor … knock it off! "

-WF Mag

I don't think illegal tint causes accidents, stupid driving does. It's like the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument, though.

Maybe Guns, Window tint, and mountain climbing should all be illegal...

No, not really. Just window tinting. :poke:lol

Stan,

The thing isn't about insurance and accidents, it's about operating a car thats not in compliance with state law. That is the insurance companys out. If the car is illegal, be it for tint, suspension, emissions, etc, the car is not supposed to be driven on public roads. If one gets into a wreck, or worse, the insurance company does NOT have to pay out. They only insure LEGALLY operated vehicles. Every policy has that wording in them somewhere.

We can sit and speculate all day 'till Jeffs cows come home about what is right and what is wrong with the laws. The fact is that our legislators have enacted a law that is in direct conflict with at least 4 constitutional amendments. These laws will stay in place until someone challenges thier validity. The powers that be are counting on the complacency of the public. They bet on the fact that it's cheaper to pay a ticket than to mount a legal battle.

The US Supreme court will only decide an issue IF IT'S CHALLENGED. For example, take gun control. The constitution CLEARLY outlines the right of the citizen to bear arms, in order to maintain a well regulated militia. Somewhere along the lines, that was interpreted by some to mean that only a militia (state run/gov't run) has the right to bear arms. And it was deemed that the reserves fulfill that right. Now somewone has challenged that ruling and the Supreme Court will decide the issue. The original intent was so that the citizenry could, beacause they have the right to bear arms, mount an insurrection, if nescessary, to overthrow the government if it became too burdensome. Our government fears this, and is doing everything in it's power to curtail our constitutional rights. The constitution even goes so far as to say that it is every citizens duty to rise up should the government fail to act in the interests of those who they are sworn to serve. And with the recent challenges, the Supreme Court is finally involved.

The problem is that the courts and legal system are so convoluted that it takes an attorney to get thru all the legalese. So now, instead of equal justice under the law, we get the best justice that money can buy. It's gonna take money, and a good bit of it, IF someone were to challenge these laws. But they can successfully be challenged. It's gonna take a young law school grad who is out to become the next Mark Geragos, but it can, and I believe will, be done. The justifications for these laws would not stand up in a court of law. The place to start is by having all of the customers sign a petition for the abolishment of the laws. I would bet that over 80 % of all your custys would like to see a change. And THAT is a sizeable voting bloc!!! If that doesn't work, then it will take a court action. Thats where public apathy is killing us!!!

Guest vclimber
Here's the president of the IWFA, Tom Niziolek's comment:

"But for a shop that engages in this illegal activity, negative exposure and costly citations are just two of the risks they face. Insurance companies and litigation also could be factors if an accident is caused by illegal tint. Once again, the majority of window film companies are committed not only to their own success, but also the success of the entire industry. And this commitment is reflected in the ethical way they conduct business. But there remain a few whose practices threaten to corrode our collective credibility. So, if you are engaged in any of the above activities, do us all a favor … knock it off! "

-WF Mag

I don't think illegal tint causes accidents, stupid driving does. It's like the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument, though.

Maybe Guns, Window tint, and mountain climbing should all be illegal...

No, not really. Just window tinting. :lol:poke

Bottom line is the law making entity of state governments made a laws against dark film on vehicles, not people climbing boulders or window tinting in general. We can still tint houses legally and if they did make a law against climbing, then people would have to choose whether or not they want to be lawbreakers. :lol

...........and I will add once again, it is impossible for anyone outside New York to make any judgement on the issiue of 'illegal' tint. Those of us outside that area who do not have regulations on this are able to make a living. If the tinter in NY went fully legit, he would be out of business quick. It's easy to post negative statements at these people, but I, for one, will not. The IWFA, PWTA(when formed), or any other organization will not,and finacially, cannot hire lawyers to push for legislative changes. This leaves the instalers on their own to try and fight this. With working full time and many with families, this is almost impossible. I wish them al the luck in this battle, but will not hold it against them or post against them should they install such 'illegal' films to stay in business and feed their families. The issue of working flat glass only is hard, since there are about 60 or more tinters(times how many employees) from the tip of LongIsland to the city alone. With that competition in flat only, ther would be no work and it would become a hizzos market fast. This is definately evident in Florida, where you can get a car tinted for as low as $69 all day long.................................

Guest Tunefx

Thank you Customtinting!!You just said it all in a nutshell.We all have families and for some of us this is all we know.I know they wont, but even if they can change the law to 50% we could all deal with that,and the cops could see in no problem. I wish we could educate them somehow.But with guys like spitzer leading the charge against us (hypocrit that he was) its going to be difficult.but anyone outside of N.Y. cant really understand our dilema,we are just trying to make a living with the cost of everything these days that is becoming more and more difficult.

Guest Texstar
...........and I will add once again, it is impossible for anyone outside New York to make any judgement on the issiue of 'illegal' tint. Those of us outside that area who do not have regulations on this are able to make a living. If the tinter in NY went fully legit, he would be out of business quick. It's easy to post negative statements at these people, but I, for one, will not. The IWFA, PWTA(when formed), or any other organization will not,and finacially, cannot hire lawyers to push for legislative changes. This leaves the instalers on their own to try and fight this. With working full time and many with families, this is almost impossible. I wish them al the luck in this battle, but will not hold it against them or post against them should they install such 'illegal' films to stay in business and feed their families. The issue of working flat glass only is hard, since there are about 60 or more tinters(times how many employees) from the tip of LongIsland to the city alone. With that competition in flat only, ther would be no work and it would become a hizzos market fast. This is definately evident in Florida, where you can get a car tinted for as low as $69 all day long.................................

So just for the sake of a rational debate. Are you condoning 5% all the way around or what some of these guys are doing 35% and above.

I see your side here but I think the 5% guys need to go :woowoo

Guest Key West

So just for the sake of a rational debate. Are you condoning 5% all the way around or what some of these guys are doing 35% and above.

PitStop,(and anyone else applicable)

Dude, folks gotta eat. I don't think that anyone "condones" illegal tint, but you gotta ask yourself "What if they did that here?" What would you do if your very livelyhood was threatened? This is a complex problem, with no clear cut answers. These guys in NY are in some serious doo-doo. What I'd suggest is to stonewall the powers that be as long as possible. Make them get a warrant to look at anything. Get in touch with an attorney as soon as possible. Perhaps a few (or more) of you can get together and hire an attorney to look into it. Now is the time for you guys to put aside your differences and unite. Unfortunately, the PWFA is as yet not fully formed, and carries no clout.

You can also call the IWFA and your respective manufacturers for whatever help they might be able to give. Just do not take this lying down.

If anyone is interested, I have a petition already drafted for Georgia, all you would need to do is a bit of editing. PM me with your email and I'll send it. Good luck guys. Any help I can give, just call me. All my contact info can be found at www.tamingthesun.com.

Guest Texstar

PitStop,(and anyone else applicable)

Dude, folks gotta eat. I don't think that anyone "condones" illegal tint, but you gotta ask yourself "What if they did that here?" What would you do if your very livelyhood was threatened? This is a complex problem, with no clear cut answers. These guys in NY are in some serious doo-doo. What I'd suggest is to stonewall the powers that be as long as possible. Make them get a warrant to look at anything. Get in touch with an attorney as soon as possible. Perhaps a few (or more) of you can get together and hire an attorney to look into it. Now is the time for you guys to put aside your differences and unite. Unfortunately, the PWFA is as yet not fully formed, and carries no clout.

You can also call the IWFA and your respective manufacturers for whatever help they might be able to give. Just do not take this lying down.

If anyone is interested, I have a petition already drafted for Georgia, all you would need to do is a bit of editing. PM me with your email and I'll send it. Good luck guys. Any help I can give, just call me. All my contact info can be found at www.tamingthesun.com.

Key

I agree. I was just stating that the ones doing 35 and above on the fronts should still be considered legit. The way certain statements read around here is we would be condoning those hacks that do 5% all the way around. I was just trying to clarify :rollin

Guest JUSTIN

I don't think he is condoning stupidity, I think he is pointing out the difficulties of maintaining sales, feeding the fam, and working legit...sometimes it is impossible to all of the above with market oversaturation and meatballs down the street willing and eager to take your sales b/c they will install illegal tint. I appreciate him pointing all that out for the NY tinters b/c they probably feel really judged by others who aren't working in their state and who wouldn't understand the dilemma they are in.

Archived