anyone in ny get a letter from the attorney general?

jttint1

I guess I the future, I will be more precise in my posting. :evilgrin As I read, some would think of me as a fool. I would never condone the use of 5% anywhere on a personal vehicle. Way too dark for night driving, and even daytime. Using logic is where the legislature should have been. A knee jerk reaction to a bad situation.

But, personally knowing many tinters from NY, I feel their pain. There are many great shops out there(and many back alley hacks too) Keep up your fight and do what ya gotta do to stay alive!!!!.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you Customtinting!!You just said it all in a nutshell.We all have families and for some of us this is all we know.I know they wont, but even if they can change the law to 50% we could all deal with that,and the cops could see in no problem. I wish we could educate them somehow.But with guys like spitzer leading the charge against us (hypocrit that he was) its going to be difficult.but anyone outside of N.Y. cant really understand our dilema,we are just trying to make a living with the cost of everything these days that is becoming more and more difficult.

YOu're welcome , Tunefx. Hey, PM me and let me know where you're from(shop and town)

Thanks

State attorney general usually offers services to consumer complaints, or other legal entites when those entities need assistance. My thoughts are that for !llegal window film installation, that business would have been contacted by city attorney rather than attorney general. Letter from attorney general probably means something way more serious was taking place, like dr*g dealing, money laundering, etc....unless consumers were defrauded on a large scale thinking they were getting legal film installed when they were switched with !llegal.

Everyone in NY received the letter. It did NOT come registered mail #1 so as far as im concerned I never received it. #2 the NYS Attorney General is investigating unfair business practices. People are getting tinting tickets for 35% 50% and 70% (as well as the darker films) then going to court to fight it and saying "the installer said its was legal". If you tell a customer 70% film is legal on roll ups you are the guy they want.

Tell a customer that its legal when its not constitutes fraud

Guest tint phantom
Here's the president of the IWFA, Tom Niziolek's comment:

"But for a shop that engages in this !llegal activity, negative exposure and costly citations are just two of the risks they face. Insurance companies and litigation also could be factors if an accident is caused by !llegal tint. Once again, the majority of window film companies are committed not only to their own success, but also the success of the entire industry. And this commitment is reflected in the ethical way they conduct business. But there remain a few whose practices threaten to corrode our collective credibility. So, if you are engaged in any of the above activities, do us all a favor … knock it off! "

-WF Mag

I could not agree more wholeheartedly. And I wish that the insurance companies would do more to deny claims on cars with !llegal tint. This practice IS giving this industry a black eye. That being said, I'd REALLY like to know what the IWFA is going to do for our NY brothers. Are they even going to get involved?I really DO understand the economics of trying to stay in business and !llegal tint. But the answer is to tint legally, and organise to challenge the validity of the tint laws, not break them. That just makes everyone look bad.

thats all good, but hard to do. installing !llegal tint should have never ben a law. that law is unconstitutional, on the gounds of discimination.

are you legal? I am.

Guest Key West
Here's the president of the IWFA, Tom Niziolek's comment:

"But for a shop that engages in this !llegal activity, negative exposure and costly citations are just two of the risks they face. Insurance companies and litigation also could be factors if an accident is caused by !llegal tint. Once again, the majority of window film companies are committed not only to their own success, but also the success of the entire industry. And this commitment is reflected in the ethical way they conduct business. But there remain a few whose practices threaten to corrode our collective credibility. So, if you are engaged in any of the above activities, do us all a favor … knock it off! "

-WF Mag

I could not agree more wholeheartedly. And I wish that the insurance companies would do more to deny claims on cars with !llegal tint. This practice IS giving this industry a black eye. That being said, I'd REALLY like to know what the IWFA is going to do for our NY brothers. Are they even going to get involved?I really DO understand the economics of trying to stay in business and !llegal tint. But the answer is to tint legally, and organise to challenge the validity of the tint laws, not break them. That just makes everyone look bad.

thats all good, but hard to do. installing !llegal tint should have never ben a law. that law is unconstitutional, on the gounds of discimination.

are you legal? I am.

I agree it should NEVER have been legislated. Our gov't is getting FAR too invasive in our personal lives and choices. That being said, breaking the law is NOT gonna change it. It will only serve to have the powers that be further legislate us, and criminalize us. We already have a less than savory reputation as tinters, and the willingness to break the law and tint !llegal only furthers and reinforces that image.

Archived