Sun-Gard/Glass-Gard reopening

Guest Da Beach

This is really disappointing. It may also even be repeated. Do you think the other factories are watching what happens? OF COURSE!!!! "Hey...if FTI can shut down and not honor warranties then re-open under "new" management, let's do it too." :)

I hope FTI did not start a trend.

But at the same time...if the "new" management was to take care of their old customers regarding their claims and maybe whatever ever the claims amounts may be and put it towards an initial purchase, they may turn something negative into something very positive. :thumb

Pros and cons for you Capt. Bill, think about it. And I didn't even charge you, wait a minute...you can put this advice towards a few hundred feet of film. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Da Beach

Just thought of this...

Capt. Bill, how about sending everyone some free stuff :) like.... hats, shirts, polos, rolls, aprons, olfa knives, pens, swatches, brochures, sample pieces, sample boards, shoes, pants, and yeah a sample of how your warranty program works. :)

Guest Litespeeds

Just spoke yesterday to my Huper Optik rep regarding what's new in the horizon and he did mention about the company buying out the old Sungard plant which has some new state of the art tint manufacturing machines. I had a long talk with him and even told him that the reason why the ceramic film is difficult to work with is all because of the clear liner. To test my theory, I removed the liner from some Ceramic 30% and tried to shrink it both ways (up/down and side to side)and it puckered. Shrank the film itself and one way puckered while the other way shrank fine. Took the liner off some Suntek film and it shrank perfectly so I told him to suggest to HO to replace all their liner's with better ones. It's hard for a company to invest extra money on a disposable product but they will have to if they want to gain new accounts for their automotive segment. Also mentioned that they should roll their films onto each roll in the proper direction.

Now back to Sungard. I am dealing with warranty issues by telling the customer that the film manufacturer went out of business so the best we can do is remove your old film for free but you will have to pay to have new tint put back on. At least it shows that we are trying our best to accomodate our customer but it is the product that went bad and not our labor installing it. If they have a problem with that, they can take Sungard to court but guess they can't do that since they went out of business. :)

Guest JUSTIN
This is really disappointing. It may also even be repeated. Do you think the other factories are watching what happens? OF COURSE!!!! "Hey...if FTI can shut down and not honor warranties then re-open under "new" management, let's do it too." :)

But at the same time...if the "new" management was to take care of their old customers regarding their claims and maybe whatever ever the claims amounts may be and put it towards an initial purchase, they may turn something negative into something very positive. :thumb

Pros and cons for you Capt. Bill, think about it. And I didn't even charge you, wait a minute...you can put this advice towards a few hundred feet of film. :lol2

A window tinting business can do the same. They can close down and reopen a business with a different name and they don't have to honor the old warranties. If consumer's in any way shape or form feel defrauded over any automotive service (window film installation), they will carry that baggage every where they go. If a large sector of the population just doesn't get any warranty coverage for film they were promised when they purchased it, it can have a huge impact on future sales for the entire industry-including Flat Glass. I interface with our consumer's every day, and I have the time to get the feedback on the auto side, and I can't tell you how many women share with me that they had a car years ago with bubbled up film and they were really against tinting another car b/c of warranty issues or their misconception that all film bubbles. Their spouses literally dragged them in to get their car tinted. If that same consumer trusted you to begin with, it could be detrimental not to eat the warranty.

I live in such a small town that word spreads like wildfire. To not completely cover the warranty is too great of a risk for me compared to the out of pocket expense. Two words I will keep saying....repeat customers. Word of mouth is your best form of advertisement :)

Guest willie
This is really disappointing. It may also even be repeated. Do you think the other factories are watching what happens? OF COURSE!!!! "Hey...if FTI can shut down and not honor warranties then re-open under "new" management, let's do it too." :beer

But at the same time...if the "new" management was to take care of their old customers regarding their claims and maybe whatever ever the claims amounts may be and put it towards an initial purchase, they may turn something negative into something very positive. :beer

Pros and cons for you Capt. Bill, think about it. And I didn't even charge you, wait a minute...you can put this advice towards a few hundred feet of film. :rollin

A window tinting business can do the same. They can close down and reopen a business with a different name and they don't have to honor the old warranties. If consumer's in any way shape or form feel defrauded over any automotive service (window film installation), they will carry that baggage every where they go. If a large sector of the population just doesn't get any warranty coverage for film they were promised when they purchased it, it can have a huge impact on future sales for the entire industry-including Flat Glass. I interface with our consumer's every day, and I have the time to get the feedback on the auto side, and I can't tell you how many women share with me that they had a car years ago with bubbled up film and they were really against tinting another car b/c of warranty issues or their misconception that all film bubbles. Their spouses literally dragged them in to get their car tinted. If that same consumer trusted you to begin with, it could be detrimental not to eat the warranty.

I live in such a small town that word spreads like wildfire. To not completely cover the warranty is too great of a risk for me compared to the out of pocket expense. Two words I will keep saying....repeat customers. Word of mouth is your best form of advertisement :krazy

Well said :beer

Guest Sprinter

no really you bought and took on the reconized name of 35 years, you take on all the warranty work that will go along with it!!!

like what the distributors did before was to have a shop or two shops in town who did all the warranty work for sungard, same thing can happen here, they get paid in film anyways so stock them up and send every job to them for the warranty, shop makes out cause now their the GOOD guys in town honoring warranties, paying the help x amount and making up the rest in film, win win situation.

now Captin Bill balls in your companys court, you should do some quick talking with the owners to make them understand how this will make them money in the long run, one can only hope you do the right thing.

I don’t really care because my exposure is low. I have only did one car since all this happened and I just took the hicky but that does sound like a great business decision. I did hear that the current claims run into the millions but……….. just saying. Capt Bill its great to have you back here no matter what happens. The old company was really great to work with on this. Treated me great even when I didn’t sell the product. :lol2

Stan Foster

Archived