Giving away your hard earned money.........

Guest haroldshouseoftint
would you give away tinting tips to some random person that comes into your shop that you dont even know?.. :lol2 so why would you do it with someone you dont know on the net?

Amen TG. It's gotten ridiculous (and a little pathetic) to see so many on here falling over themselves to give hard earned tinting information to those whose only tinting experience is an internet search. They can try to justify it however they choose but I won't do it again. It works to the detriment of all legitimate dealers.

im glad there are a few on here that understand what im getting at.and what do you know..its that ones that have a lot of experience under there belts.. :mad

:lol2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
would you give away tinting tips to some random person that comes into your shop that you dont even know?.. :lol2 so why would you do it with someone you dont know on the net?

Amen TG. It's gotten ridiculous (and a little pathetic) to see so many on here falling over themselves to give hard earned tinting information to those whose only tinting experience is an internet search. They can try to justify it however they choose but I won't do it again. It works to the detriment of all legitimate dealers.

im glad there are a few on here that understand what im getting at.and what do you know..its that ones that have a lot of experience under there belts.. :lol2

:lol2

:mad:lol2

I don't see all these myriad of DIY'ers you guys are talking about. Usually when someone comes here saying they are going to attempt it, they are warned that it will look like crap and to take it to a pro, and to keep it legal.

To hear you guys talk gives the impression that the place is full of DIY'ers and that's just not the case.

You and I both know that reading a tip here and there isn't going to enable a DIY'er to do squat, other than realize he bit off more than he could chew and that paying a pro is the way to go.

Just my :twocents

Guest darkdan
I don't see all these myriad of DIY'ers you guys are talking about. Usually when someone comes here saying they are going to attempt it, they are warned that it will look like crap and to take it to a pro, and to keep it legal.

To hear you guys talk gives the impression that the place is full of DIY'ers and that's just not the case.

You and I both know that reading a tip here and there isn't going to enable a DIY'er to do squat, other than realize he bit off more than he could chew and that paying a pro is the way to go.

Just my :twocents

563 users active in the past 60 minutes

529 guests, 34 members

They're here

I've mentioned several times that the guest count is very inflated due to search engine spiders, particularly "slurp" from Yahoo. About 90% of the guests are simply robots from Yahoo.

Besides, the post is talking about when a DIY'er registers and posts, they are almost always told to take it to a pro, that it will look like crap if they try and to keep it legal.

Sorry, but I just don't see the issue and I believe the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Guest vclimber
:twocents I hear ya TD. DIY'ers don't concern me as much as new inexperienced competitors or new people coming into the industry these days. Even info that the MFG's can glean concerns me now. The business landscape is changing and will continue to change as economic developments affect consumers. I know that what I used to have no problem sharing out in the open in the past, I am having reservations about doing the same thing now. :rollin

Guest willie
Sorry, but I just don't see the issue and I believe the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Agree, I can see both sides points but I think you nailed it TD :rollin

Yes, the DIY'er was part of the issue, but also meant the backyard tinter, doing it for everyone he can talk to. Pulling work away from the legit guy. We give them tips, and it does'nt help the industry at all. No tinter earning a living to support a family gets anything from it. If you wish to walk into a shop and give tips, fine, or in a closed forum, ok, but in open forums where any hack can get it, it hurts the business of the local tinter. And think of it this way, I have a legit shop, working 6 days aweek to support my 8 kids. Some bakyard hack opens a shop in his garage and advertises. He does crap work, which builds his rep as the lousy guy in town, so I begin to get more of his work. But, if I give him my tips and tricks, he gets as good as me, therefore , taking jobs and money from me. I louse by giving away my trade secrects!!

I understand that some of you have working arrangements with your competitors, that is fine. But what about those of us whose competitors are not reciprical with info, bad business men, or just scumbags?? Why would I want information shared with them?? That is what happens to some of us here, whe you share secrets in open forum. You are in MI, but your tip helped the guy in NY who is a lowlife type, since everyone can read the thread??...

This was my take on it.Just wanted to clarify to see what you all think. :rollin

Guest willie
Yes, the DIY'er was part of the issue, but also meant the backyard tinter, doing it for everyone he can talk to. Pulling work away from the legit guy. We give them tips, and it does'nt help the industry at all. No tinter earning a living to support a family gets anything from it. If you wish to walk into a shop and give tips, fine, or in a closed forum, ok, but in open forums where any hack can get it, it hurts the business of the local tinter. And think of it this way, I have a legit shop, working 6 days aweek to support my 8 kids. Some bakyard hack opens a shop in his garage and advertises. He does crap work, which builds his rep as the lousy guy in town, so I begin to get more of his work. But, if I give him my tips and tricks, he gets as good as me, therefore , taking jobs and money from me. I louse by giving away my trade secrects!!

I understand that some of you have working arrangements with your competitors, that is fine. But what about those of us whose competitors are not reciprical with info, bad business men, or just scumbags?? Why would I want information shared with them?? That is what happens to some of us here, whe you share secrets in open forum. You are in MI, but your tip helped the guy in NY who is a lowlife type, since everyone can read the thread??...

This was my take on it.Just wanted to clarify to see what you all think. :rollin

Totally understand your thought, as I see both sides.

There gonna get the information somewhere. Here, other forums, you tube, ebay, DIY videos etc.

You cant stop them from getting the info there seeking so why sit around worrying about it.

Good debate on both sides :nono

Ok experienced tinters....

Let me chime in here as a noob....

(I'll use me as an example)

If I come to your town and set-up shop across the street from one of you (which is what I would do btw... but only to the busiest shop in town)

and I sucessfully take business from you... Believe me.... It is not because of the tintdude.com tips/tricks I have learned....

I don't mean to discount what anyone has shared.. I view it all a very valuable...

But competitive advantage ??? I don't think I view it as that....

If I did not have this resource... I may stumble a bit more.... Maybe need to replace some windows I didn't felt, or not be able to tint a couple cars here and there for various reasons...

but then again... sometimes ignorance is bliss.. Those cars I couldn't tint would probaby be more difficult cars anyways... So I would ship them down to you, clog your bay with that, move on and close the next gravy car.

... I guess what my long winded speel is trying to say is... 'All of the Tintdude.com tips and tricks combine do not a sucessful tint shop make'

As you all know... there is MUCH more to it...

Archived