Giving away your hard earned money.........

:beerYep..... I don't view what we do as 'magic' .... so I don't view our techniques as a secret....

IMO customers view tint as a binary service.... They are either happy or not... there is no between area...

That being said and all tint jobs being equal sucess is determined by SERVICE and MARKETING..... If you think you are giving away money because now everyone in your town is shrinking with MDog soap or 'snapping' roll-ups then we will have to agree to disagree.....

I'm very sorry to hear that ! I do stil look at it as a way of art ...... You're right everone can trow a piece of plastic against a window and call it a windowtint , but besides SERVICE and Marketing will the QUALITY of you're work play a big roll in determining you're price at the end . When you offer a great service and have worked out a great marketingstrategie but offer a louzy tintjob I'm affraid you're not gonna come that far .....

Exactly, if everyone becomes a better tinter we can all raise our prices.

However, I think we should do our best to avoid helping the DIYers.

Of course, that's the pot calling the kettle black. If it wasn't for yall I wouldn't be a tinter.

???????????I really hope I'm reading this wrong here :klingon and according to this statement we should be helping the DIYers ....

Ok experienced tinters....

Let me chime in here as a noob....

(I'll use me as an example)

If I come to your town and set-up shop across the street from one of you (which is what I would do btw... but only to the busiest shop in town)

and I sucessfully take business from you... Believe me.... It is not because of the tintdude.com tips/tricks I have learned....

I don't mean to discount what anyone has shared.. I view it all a very valuable...

But competitive advantage ??? I don't think I view it as that....

If I did not have this resource... I may stumble a bit more.... Maybe need to replace some windows I didn't felt, or not be able to tint a couple cars here and there for various reasons...

but then again... sometimes ignorance is bliss.. Those cars I couldn't tint would probaby be more difficult cars anyways... So I would ship them down to you, clog your bay with that, move on and close the next gravy car.

... I guess what my long winded speel is trying to say is... 'All of the Tintdude.com tips and tricks combine do not a sucessful tint shop make'

As you all know... there is MUCH more to it...

I had custy's coming to me because other shops couldn't help them out with their difficult cars .... geuss where these same people go to with their next (gravy)car ?? or wich shop they are gonna advice when someone askes them about windowtint ???? Not you in this case !! ( just taking you're example )

And you're right , all of the tips in here combined wouldn't do it ... for some , but all of this info in the hands of the wrong guy would not directly kill you but could give you a good kick in the nutts ..... and I don't like to kicked there...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I think we should do our best to avoid helping the DIYers.Of course, that's the pot calling the kettle black. If it wasn't for yall I wouldn't be a tinter.

???????????I really hope I'm reading this wrong here :thumb and according to this statement we should be helping the DIYers ....

:thumb you read it wrong I think. :dunno

By "everyone" I mean "all tinters"

I know what you mean Dan :rollin I just have a hard time expressing myself :dunno

I was trying to say I don't realy agree with that statement you made . I don't think that prices would rise of everone could bring out the same quality ... I think this price war would even be worse if it was .......

If you offer an exclusive product you can charge a lot for it .. If you're quality of tints is remarqueble higher then you're opponents you have an exclusive product and thereby have potential to ask more for tintjob IMHO .

And I think some people not only have lost the confidence in legal tintshops offering louzy jobs but windowfilm in general ... A lot of people link windowfilm to bubbles and purple tint...etc Sooooo if you want to solve that problem and go to that higher price ( this is what you said I think) then you should call everyone EVERYONE included DIYers :rollin

However, I think we should do our best to avoid helping the DIYers.Of course, that's the pot calling the kettle black. If it wasn't for yall I wouldn't be a tinter.

???????????I really hope I'm reading this wrong here :tantrum and according to this statement we should be helping the DIYers ....

:shock you read it wrong I think. :rollin

:shock:rollin

Guest willie
Recentyl, I have seen a few trheads in the normal area with posters asking for tips on tinting cars. Upon reading it again, I realized these were common people, not pros, looking for training on how to tint. Since anyone is able to sign up here, we need to be careful on who we give tips to. This is only giving away our (your,since I do not do cars) hard earned money!!! What do you think???

:spit

Do you do cars :beer I was just wondering out of curiosity since it makes no mention of it on your website

Recentyl, I have seen a few trheads in the normal area with posters asking for tips on tinting cars. Upon reading it again, I realized these were common people, not pros, looking for training on how to tint. Since anyone is able to sign up here, we need to be careful on who we give tips to. This is only giving away our (your,since I do not do cars) hard earned money!!! What do you think???

:spit

Do you do cars :beer I was just wondering out of curiosity since it makes no mention of it on your website

Willie, I do not now or ever will do cars.I am busy enough without it.

I just found it funny that many here will give out their tricks to anyone who asks, which IMHO gives away business and money. Maybe not to you today, but to someone out there. If you wish to PM tips, then it is only to who you wish to know it. When posting in open forum, everyone, including the hack and backyard tinter can use it. Only in this industry have I seen this so prevelent.I would not think Microsoft would give tips to rival companies. You don't see McDonalds stopping by BK to give them tips on special sauces. I have never seen local cars guys going to the competition to give them tips. This only makes you weaker in the market. When someone goes to a hack shop for a better price and gets what they pay for, they will come to you to fix it and recommend YOU to their friends and family. This is how business works. Giving tips to you r local shop may hurt you, but giving them out over an open forum can hurt everyone, since the hack gets this.

Well, I may be wrong, Just saw the KING enter McD's....... :beer (oops, that was only Elvis!!!!!)

Guest vclimber

:beer

Willie, I do not now or ever will do cars.I am busy enough without it.

I just found it funny that many here will give out their tricks to anyone who asks, which IMHO gives away business and money. Maybe not to you today, but to someone out there. If you wish to PM tips, then it is only to who you wish to know it. When posting in open forum, everyone, including the hack and backyard tinter can use it. Only in this industry have I seen this so prevelent.I would not think Microsoft would give tips to rival companies. You don't see McDonalds stopping by BK to give them tips on special sauces. I have never seen local cars guys going to the competition to give them tips. This only makes you weaker in the market. When someone goes to a hack shop for a better price and gets what they pay for, they will come to you to fix it and recommend YOU to their friends and family. This is how business works. Giving tips to you r local shop may hurt you, but giving them out over an open forum can hurt everyone, since the hack gets this.

Well, I may be wrong, Just saw the KING enter McD's....... :spit (oops, that was only Elvis!!!!!)

:beer Where's the Mickey D's chatroom? I want some recipes. :spit

I like giving tips... :beer

Some get em......most dont.....gotta be good to understand most tips. I think It's good for the Industry and for TintDude.com

I think the best tinters in the world are active users on this site and I dont mind sharing what I know at all.

If we were talking about " hands on " tips and training....now that would cost and have to be paid for in advance.......... :spit

:beer

Archived