When did you go into business? (date on business lic.)

Guest Key West

Guest Key West

I got so worked up over this unfortunate development that I did alot of research in advance, should some of you need it. After researching the law in NY, it occured to me that alot of you haven't got a leg to stand on legally. These statutes were enacted in 1991, and went into effect as of Jan 1, 1992. SO, unless you were in business PRIOR to Jan 1, 1992, these laws should come as no suprise. If you opened up shop and applied !llegal film after that date, you did so knowing full well that you were engaged in !llegal activity. You cannot elicit sympathy because they changed the laws after you were in business. You KNEW or should have known what the laws were when you opened your shop, and made the descision to go ahead with business under the existing laws. The fact that only 70% is legal is immaterial. It was up to you to decide whether or not you could make a living under those laws/conditions.

I can understand those who were in business when the laws were changed crying the blues, but anyone who went into this business after 1/1/92 knowing what they were getting into have just been shot out of the saddle.

Some of us have a legitimate gripe. The laws were one thing when we went into business, and then the powers that be changed them on us. That had a huge impact on our livelyhoods. We then had to decide whether or not to abide by the new laws. If you went into business after the fact, quit crying, you knew what you were getting into beforehand.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest UTMOST

"We then had to decide whether or not to abide by the new laws."

According to the law there was no decision to make, except to move to your business if you found it too hard to make a living.

After smoking bans restaurants don't have a decision to make they obey the law or move their business where smoking is legal.

Your actions speak louder then your words.

Guest Key West
"We then had to decide whether or not to abide by the new laws."

According to the law there was no decision to make, except to move to your business if you found it too hard to make a living.

After smoking bans restaurants don't have a decision to make they obey the law or move their business where smoking is legal.

Your actions speak louder then your words.

We ALWAYS have choices. Some of us complied with the new laws, some didn't. Where did you get the impression that "my actions" were less? I have always promoted legal tint. Like almost everyone else, sure, I have done my share of dark film. But we are talking over 30 years ago. I got older, and believe it or not, wiser. I do not do !llegal window tint, and haven't done so in recent m,emory.

Guest Tunefx

Listen N.Y tinters are not " Crying" we are just stuck in a bad situation.You guys from georgia and florida for the most part dont understand.I started my business in 1989 before the laws changed but I dont think that matters.If tommorow florida decided to change the law to 70% maybe you would understand.But I have a feeling you would still see tint shops opening up everywhere.70% means basically no tint at all.So according to your theory no tint shops should have opened after 1992, come on now.They dont want tint at all in N.Y. so that means there should be no tint shops at all in N.Y but there are hundreds if not thousands.I am not condoning tinting 5% by any means,I know myself and all the tint shops in my area wont go near the stuff, but here even 50% is !llegal.We try our best to talk people into 70% but 99% of them think it is to light.Like said in another post some mercedes come factory with 68% on the front windows so if a cop wanted to bust balls he could give all of them a ticket by law! That is just crazy.Even if we do 70% on that car it would still be !llegal.Dont forget to in the early days 1992-2002 most of us tinters,Or anyone else for that matter, didnt even know they changed the law because they didnt enforce it at all.Now all of a sudden it is a big deal. Just put yourself in our shoes and you may have a different opinion about the whole thing. We are not looking for sympathy just other tinters to vent to.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

f^%$ 70% I feel for you guys in NY. I think it would be in the best intrest to the state of NY to allow darker films. 1- it will generate more revenue and taxes on sales alone. 2- what does it really hurt?

70% is a RAW deal for customers and tinters for sure..but Illlegal IS Illlegal :twocents

I don't know what I would do if I was in that situation ..I cant really say because I'm not in your shoes ..thankfully

New Yorks window tinting leader has been tinting since 81 and Inc since 89.. I get return on my investment 365 days... getting better every year ..I only market to high end clients and as horrilbe the current law is a real money maker for the state... NYS has been a good customer over the years they need tint to.

Archived