Non-compete agreement

KY is an "at will work state". that non compete worth about as much as the paper its written on. Pay them what there worth. Give them a good work enviroment. give em some benifits. Give em a career and it wont be an issue.
Texas also is a "right to work" state been there, done that...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to sign a non-compete agreement at the first shop I work at. When I left the shop I honor the agreement and found a job out of my non-compete agreement area. It was only after the first shop that I work for went out of business that I started to do work in that area again.

The second shop however I worked at they wanted me to sign a non-compete agreement against window tint. I refuse to sign the agreement because I was already trained in window tinting. The owner was okay with me not signing the agreement and he hired me anyway. Mainly because I taught him how to one piece a Camaro. That's how I landed the job at what is now my local competition. :lol

Most of the owners know that they don't hold up in court. They hope that you dont know that. Happen to me but I caught on quick. I already had exp. Then told him it didn't mean anything because I already knew how to tint. Then he stop talking. Now im working right down the street and he can't do anything about it.

In any "Right to Work" state it will not hold up in court.  You can ask an employee to sign hoping it will keep them in check but it will not hold up.  If someone is experienced they know they can go on their own anytime but is it worth it for them? Then they have to sell the job, talk to the customer, and deal with any questions or problems either real or imagined by the customer.  I have 3 tinters who work full time for me and have been with me for years.  They can do side jobs and do occasionally.  But I try to keep them so busy that they do not want to tint after work and I pay them well cuz they deserve it.  Now that being said - if you are worried about teaching your future competition only teach them part of the job.  Pay a hourly or a salary rate and teach one to just clean, another to only shrink, and another to install etc....  I know several shops that do just that and it works well for them.  Good Luck.

Archived