Not getting paid for sub work

Guest chriscoon

Guest willie
Steve...Atlanta....Keywest?????lol :thumb:dunno Just kidding
:lol2 "steve"= :thumb
I went to high school with him. What a tool.

And NO!!, it wasn't me!!!

Dude, people no it wasnt you. Sorry you guys got scammed

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a business, not getting for work done (in this case sub work) is a business loss, right ?

Check with the IRS, I would guess you can 1099 the person as taxable income to them, and take that amount you were not paid as a business loss ?

Maybe a CPA would have a right answer to his, and might be able at anytime to file an amended return for any previous years this occured in ?

Guest chriscoon

Another F'dup thing is that his receptionist called a couple of weeks ago to try and get me to take another appointment, and I mentioned the not being paid thing. She said she came on about the same time as my first job with him, and she hasn't seen a dime at that point, either. Luckily I only I had a few hours tied up with this guy, she had a few weeks. Karma's a b?tch. Thanks for the offer KEYWEST, but I would lose more taking the time to do it. Especially, only for a couple hundred in materials. It sounds like OLFA should take you up on that offer though, sorry to hear that OLFA. It still baffles me why people do this crap. You would make so much more in the long run if you don't screw people over, it is amazing how many go for the home run on the first pitch. It's not how you win the game.

you are right with the 1099 idea, I dont see why it wouldnt work. we sold an employee a car awhile back and he never finished paying my uncle for the vehicle. he realized it was already a lost cause, so he just 1099'ed him for the value he sold the car for and he had to pay taxes on it. my uncle got screwed but atleast that guy did as well

Just wanted to put out a inquiry about a "company" I have been do sub work for. I am wondering if anyone else has been doing work for a guy named Steve, based out of Atlanta. He has put up websites in some of the major cities here in the states. Some of the sites are TintPhoenix.com, Tintlasvegas.com and a few others from what I understand. After doing 5, or so, cars for him over the last 2 months, I yet to receive a check for the services. The biggest deal is I supplied labor and materials for this guy. Has anyone else had any issues with this same company? I would like to know. And if you haven't done anything with this company, I would suggest against it highly.
Yeah, "Steve" worked me over for $8400 last summer for crew work in Colorado and Nevada. He paid airfair and hotel, just never paid the labor I was owed. I got the guy's GSA revoked, but unless I want to travel back to out of state sue him, he is "unreachable". He and many others are professionals at this kind of scam, so beware!

It's a part of the game, unfortunately. Back in '04, I subbed out some work for Hurricane Glass Sheild, (owned by our old 3M distributor, Who better to trust than your distributor?), all went well until time to get my final check. I waited and waited, and finally called them. Basically, I was told that I was beat. Then, in '06, I did some work for Mike Althiem at TintAmerica in Boynton, Fla. HE kept my final check also, due to "re-dos". They were using ArmorCoat, and claimed that the "Champagne Bubbles" were my fault. I did over 4 months work at both HGS and TA. Hell Altheim even went so far as to say that he had no record of me doing the work. I still have the work orders, and I'd bet that the custys would remember that I did the work.

Bottom line, you gotta get your money BEFORE you leave. They withhold a week? Tough, pay up now. Seems that alot of them realize that you are probably not gonna come back and sue them for what they owe you. BUT, there is an upside. Should you actually go back and sue for your wages, you can get 5 times the amount of your claim plus legal expenses in most small claims jurisdictions. The downside is that there is a one year statute of limitations for most small claims courts.

All told, between the 2 companys, I'm out about 8 G's. :evileye The statute of limitations has expired, or I'd go back on them in a heartbeat!! I'd LOVE to take Altheim (and Tint America) down a peg or two. But I hear he has other major probs, so maybe Karma does work!! From what I'm hearing $17,500 (5 times what he owes me) is a drop in the bucket of what he owes other, more influential people.

I saw this "scam" you are referring to, and even called him about it. It didn't sound too appealing, as he said that they would set prices, so I passed. Sounds like I dodged one there!! I hope you kept all email correspondence, and had something in writing. If you want to sue him, you got a place to stay, and all the legal research materials you need. I am less than an hour north of ATL.

Steve, if you are interested in taking Altiem down a peg or two, contact the others he owes and offer to be a witness in their court case. If you have all of your paperwork from the work you did, you can be called to offer testimony in this case even though your time has run out to claim. Your testimony helps show a pattern of him doing this. Since they supposedly can claim for 5 times the original amount, they may agree to offer you a something to receive your testimony, which would bring some monetary return and give you the satisfaction of helping nail him. As a wise man once questioned, 'Do you have the testiculer fortitude to go on???'. We will see...................

Archived