Vista Dealers

Guest vclimber

Guest vclimber
IIRC the 3M warranty is like $0.35 a square foot.....3M gets $0.30 and I keep $0.05.

Why waste my time?

:lol6 :lol6 My thought exactly . I sell window film not some half azz insurance policy :dunno

If you sell a lot of film you will hit a tipping point where that .30 per sq ft adds up to enough money to self-fund yourself. If you don't have any claims then you get to keep the money. :lol

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkdan

Vista must be doing it differently than 3M.

Because, IIRC that is, THEY get the $0.30 and I only get $0.05

Sure, if I could manage to upsell it on 100,000 square feet a year, I'd make $5000.......sadly I don't install nearly that much

Guest vclimber

Sure, if I could manage to upsell it on 100,000 square feet a year, I'd make $5000.......sadly I don't install nearly that much

This isn't an upsell, it is a program. You sign a 1yr participation agreement and .25pr sq ft is added to the price of your film purchases. So every sq ft you sell would be covered by Diamond Warranty Terms residential and commercial.

Yeah, it adds up to a lot of money at the end of the year if you are a large purchaser.

IIRC the 3M warranty is like $0.35 a square foot.....3M gets $0.30 and I keep $0.05.

Why waste my time?

:lol:lol6 My thought exactly . I sell window film not some half azz insurance policy :beer

2 Weeks ago we bidded on 800 sq ft of glass in a house :lol6 and 5 other tint companies bidded on it too but we threw in the upgraded warranty at no extra charge and got the job. There was some mad tinters out there when they found out we got the job :lol:dunno . Still got almost 11 a square for the job. So it is a good way to sell a big job when you have to compete against other companies.

This isn't an upsell, it is a program. You sign a 1yr participation agreement and .25pr sq ft is added to the price of your film purchases. So every sq ft you sell would be covered by Diamond Warranty Terms residential and commercial.

Yeah, it adds up to a lot of money at the end of the year if you are a large purchaser.

Why buy into the marketing hype?

? You can take that amount per square, place it in a savings accout. At the end of the year you will have enough sitting there to cover the glass replacement

Guest vclimber

Why buy into the marketing hype?

? You can take that amount per square, place it in a savings accout. At the end of the year you will have enough sitting there to cover the glass replacement

That's my point. If you purchase enough footage is a 10 yr thermal breakage, $2K glass coverage, transferable, 18 yr commercial, etc, etc. worth it and who is jumping on board?

Guest Readyman
That's my point. If you purchase enough footage is a 10 yr thermal breakage, $2K glass coverage, transferable, 18 yr commercial, etc, etc. worth it and who is jumping on board?

I hate "upsell" warranty programs like these. To me it's just a manufacturer trying to find creative ways to charge us dealers more for their product and their warranty.

Personally I think that it's absurd to charge an additional $0.25 psf for all film purchases. All you are doing is making it more difficult for the larger dealers to compete.

And what do you get as a dealer for that extra $0.25? A 10-year glass breakage warranty? What is so big about that? 99% of thermal cracks will happen within the first year after installation.

IMO it's not worth it.

Guest vclimber

I hate "upsell" warranty programs like these. To me it's just a manufacturer trying to find creative ways to charge us dealers more for their product and their warranty.

Personally I think that it's absurd to charge an additional $0.25 psf for all film purchases. All you are doing is making it more difficult for the larger dealers to compete.

And what do you get as a dealer for that extra $0.25? A 10-year glass breakage warranty? What is so big about that? 99% of thermal cracks will happen within the first year after installation.

IMO it's not worth it.

Agreed, the 10yr glass breakage is fluff. And then there is the 18yr commercial warranty... where are the MFG's headed? Over the years commercial warranties have jumped from 5 to 7 to 10 to 12 to 15yrs and now 18yrs! In the duration between 10-18yrs has the film changed so as to warrant an increase in the duration of the warranty? :thumb

Smaller dealers benefit the most but the MFG's need the larger dealers to participate in order to "fund" the program. The real value is matching the glass warranty and the 2k in coverage on the commercial side. Just looked at a commercial job where a window was replaced (not film related) on the 18th floor for $4800.- :thumb Imagine if 3 or 4 of those went, stuff adds up quick. :lol

There is a time in life when you just have to say stop.

Where is the profit for the dealer? Also, I am assuming the dealer will be responsible for handling the warranty if there is an issue even though you are spending more money for product.

How many people have actually had to replace or dealt with broken glass after two years? I cannot remember the last time.

Huper tried something like this a while back and it went over like a turd in a punch bowl

Guest Readyman
Agreed, the 10yr glass breakage is fluff. And then there is the 18yr commercial warranty... where are the MFG's headed? Over the years commercial warranties have jumped from 5 to 7 to 10 to 12 to 15yrs and now 18yrs! In the duration between 10-18yrs has the film changed so as to warrant an increase in the duration of the warranty?

I would never go for an 18 year commercial warranty, there's simply to many things that could happen.

CP doesn't care though, if it helps them sell more film than great.

Could you imagine having a warranty issue on a large project and have CP come back with "will supply the film and give $1 psf labor".

Great, exactly what I would want to do. Try to scrape that crap off the glass for $1 psf (or whatever pathetic warranty labor rate they have at the time).

No thanks, there are to many other quality options available on the market today, think I'll go elsewhere.

Archived