IWFE Tint Off

My brother is going to be in the auto tint off in Vegas next month so if anyone else is in it you better bring your A game :drunk I've been telling him for a couple years he needed to go to one so it'll be intresting to see the outcome :dunno

who is your brother representing? himself or a manufacturer?

I just put up a post about it. CP is holding a preliminary competition on the 15th to select their entrants. I heard 21 reps each handpicked 1 tinter to compete on the 15th, and I guess the top guys who are in this will get to represent CP in vegas.

I was selected to be 1 of the 3 judges of the competition

Guest techguy

Hey guys here in Australia ive been tinting six days a week since 1985. I have seen a lot in this industry.

I started tinting with non scratch resistant film that would be very fiddly to put on without marking only too scratch the first time the windows were wound down anyway.

At the same time I was multi piecing rear screens on renaults and porsches etc; etc;. when I say multi piece I mean up to fifteen pieces on some screens !

We never used or had heat guns, just cheap ass hair dryers that used to blow up in your hands and take for ever to generate enough heat in glass for film to tack. I reckon if I had to count ive been electrocuted about sixty times.

The best day I had we had four installers working in the shop. We were all responsible for our own vehicles dismantling, ie; removal of all door trims and refitting (which was pretty much every car back then) and with the multi piece rears we had to jump in and out of cars with each piece or just peel in your hands and apply. And all cars had to be wiped down and driven out to carpark and handles taped up all by each of us.

I personally got through eleven cars that day, the next quickest guy was eight and so on. I started at 8am and finished my last car at 3 pm. No cars came back !!

So when I see or hear newbie tinters talking about how quick they are using the latest scratch resistant films and the best shrinking tint on rear screens thrown on in one piece. I think BIG Fu#@##* DEAL. I like to F#@## with the cocky newbie's when they are in my shop and tell them the heat guns exploded and they need to splice the rear screen....the look on there face is gold.. I then have to call the customer and tell them there car will be a couple of hours late. Not so cocky then..

I would like to be a judge on one of your Tint Off's as I would wind down the windows and inspect whether it was just thrown on the sides or how much effort went into trimming the top edges. And gaps around the rear screen and whether the demister bars were damaged on application. And finally how much pooling of water was in it, I'm guessing a lot.

If none of these things were checked and it was purely just thrown on, I reckon I would (at 43 years old this year) take it out...

Your thoughts ?

Guest Sunlimited

I think anyone can cut some film and slap it on, splice a rear w/shield and 15 pieces and call it a day, but when there is a tint off, everything is looked at from the gaps on the roll downs, to the cleanliness of the back glass, to the time it took. Screwing with noobs is fun if they are cocky and think they're going to come in train for a couple days and open up shop. I'm not a good teacher because I have ZERO in the way of patience, but am always willing to give a tip to someone who wants to learn the right way... :shock

Hey guys here in Australia ive been tinting six days a week since 1985. I have seen a lot in this industry.

I started tinting with non scratch resistant film that would be very fiddly to put on without marking only too scratch the first time the windows were wound down anyway.

At the same time I was multi piecing rear screens on renaults and porsches etc; etc;. when I say multi piece I mean up to fifteen pieces on some screens !

We never used or had heat guns, just cheap ass hair dryers that used to blow up in your hands and take for ever to generate enough heat in glass for film to tack. I reckon if I had to count ive been electrocuted about sixty times.

The best day I had we had four installers working in the shop. We were all responsible for our own vehicles dismantling, ie; removal of all door trims and refitting (which was pretty much every car back then) and with the multi piece rears we had to jump in and out of cars with each piece or just peel in your hands and apply. And all cars had to be wiped down and driven out to carpark and handles taped up all by each of us.

I personally got through eleven cars that day, the next quickest guy was eight and so on. I started at 8am and finished my last car at 3 pm. No cars came back !!

So when I see or hear newbie tinters talking about how quick they are using the latest scratch resistant films and the best shrinking tint on rear screens thrown on in one piece. I think BIG Fu#@##* DEAL. I like to F#@## with the cocky newbie's when they are in my shop and tell them the heat guns exploded and they need to splice the rear screen....the look on there face is gold.. I then have to call the customer and tell them there car will be a couple of hours late. Not so cocky then..

I would like to be a judge on one of your Tint Off's as I would wind down the windows and inspect whether it was just thrown on the sides or how much effort went into trimming the top edges. And gaps around the rear screen and whether the demister bars were damaged on application. And finally how much pooling of water was in it, I'm guessing a lot.

If none of these things were checked and it was purely just thrown on, I reckon I would (at 43 years old this year) take it out...

Your thoughts ?

:shock

Archived