New guy here...

Guest Bobbo

Guest Bobbo

So, I recently took a position at the motorsports and accessory division for the dealership that I work for. I was hired as the shop monkey to assist with window tint, PPF, leather install, and 12v A/V. When they realized that I knew a little more than the guy doing the PPF (he's new to it), they have let me take the riegns in that area. Thankfully, our Honda dealership is letting me get some much needed practice before offering it on our retail side (we have a stand-alone building/showroom).

Before I get too far, a little about myself... I have been around PPF for about 5 years now. I know the difference between a good job and a hack job. I worked for a shop that installed PPF. I assisted the installer on a regular basis doing fenders, door cups, ect. I always let him do bumpers and hoods. I can even trim without cutting paint. I know how to work kits, but I prefer bulking.

Management is setting up a time for me to get some local lessons, but I want to get as much as I can before I get there. I keep running into the same problem. I'm getting small spots where it looks like the adhesive is setting and then stretching. It renges in size from a hair line about a 1/4 of and inch to silver dollar sized. I've tried adjusting my slip solution up and down to no avail... What am I missing? I know that it's the adhesive because I can pull the film back and massage the spot untill the sharpness of the spot dissapears, but I still have the texture. (Another thing about me is, I'm a perfectionist... What a career to take on, huh?)

What do you guys think? I know that it has to be something simple that I probably deserve to get flamed for...

P.S. We are using 3M.

Guest Josh @ Proform

Sounds like you are getting spots where the film is prematurely tacking... the only solutions is to make sure the surface of the car is cool and waxed in the large areas (keep the edges and tacking areas clean), and use as much slip and as little tack solutions as possible; these are the only solutions and preventative measures for adhesive marks in any film that I have had work in the real world.

Guest Bobbo

Thanks for the advise. I'll try to wax the hood first. I've never heard of waxing before doing an application... I've got some quick detailer I'll try...

So, I recently took a position at the motorsports and accessory division for the dealership that I work for. I was hired as the shop monkey to assist with window tint, PPF, leather install, and 12v A/V. When they realized that I knew a little more than the guy doing the PPF (he's new to it), they have let me take the riegns in that area. Thankfully, our Honda dealership is letting me get some much needed practice before offering it on our retail side (we have a stand-alone building/showroom).

Before I get too far, a little about myself... I have been around PPF for about 5 years now. I know the difference between a good job and a hack job. I worked for a shop that installed PPF. I assisted the installer on a regular basis doing fenders, door cups, ect. I always let him do bumpers and hoods. I can even trim without cutting paint. I know how to work kits, but I prefer bulking.

Management is setting up a time for me to get some local lessons, but I want to get as much as I can before I get there. I keep running into the same problem. I'm getting small spots where it looks like the adhesive is setting and then stretching. It renges in size from a hair line about a 1/4 of and inch to silver dollar sized. I've tried adjusting my slip solution up and down to no avail... What am I missing? I know that it's the adhesive because I can pull the film back and massage the spot untill the sharpness of the spot dissapears, but I still have the texture. (Another thing about me is, I'm a perfectionist... What a career to take on, huh?)

What do you guys think? I know that it has to be something simple that I probably deserve to get flamed for...

P.S. We are using 3M.

Classic description of silvering, best way is to take one of the advanced classes around ,there are on the hoof fixes for this some of which you are using but the best way is not to invoke it in the first place and jump on it by lifting and rewetting once you have learned to pick it up while the film is still wet.

3m is one of the worst for silvering and lift lines (used it for 6 years) the manifestation will increase with temperature extremes and sometimes it may not show for sometime after install (as much as a wekk has been known) also it can be caused by shipping damage as a result of the film spending too long in transit at very low temperatures resulting in the adhesive changing nature in some way making the adhesive much more prone to disturbance during install.

This one of the issues that cause guys to change films or actaully give it up over the long haul because they get sick of the callbacks. The training course in how to eliminate this from the get go are the only long term fix imho or changing to film that is less prone to this kind of thing (note the use of Less) all films will do this to various degrees some much less than others. Xpels new Gel does help a lot in minimising (if not eliminating this) a more user friendly film, Gel and advanced training will kcik this into touch for you IMHO.

Cheers

Guest Bobbo
Classic description of silvering, best way is to take one of the advanced classes around ,there are on the hoof fixes for this some of which you are using but the best way is not to invoke it in the first place and jump on it by lifting and rewetting once you have learned to pick it up while the film is still wet.

3m is one of the worst for silvering and lift lines (used it for 6 years) the manifestation will increase with temperature extremes and sometimes it may not show for sometime after install (as much as a wekk has been known) also it can be caused by shipping damage as a result of the film spending too long in transit at very low temperatures resulting in the adhesive changing nature in some way making the adhesive much more prone to disturbance during install.

This one of the issues that cause guys to change films or actaully give it up over the long haul because they get sick of the callbacks. The training course in how to eliminate this from the get go are the only long term fix imho or changing to film that is less prone to this kind of thing (note the use of Less) all films will do this to various degrees some much less than others. Xpels new Gel does help a lot in minimising (if not eliminating this) a more user friendly film, Gel and advanced training will kcik this into touch for you IMHO.

Cheers

Thanks for the input, Tango. Still waiting on the date for the class...

Archived