cdf PEELING CORNER

Guest RCOOTE

Guest RCOOTE

I don't run into this often but it happened to me yesterday so I wanted to bring it up.

During the install, one of the corners JUST WONT LAY DOWN. What do you do? I waited for 1/2 hour, went back, it did lay down but just looked bad. Granted I'm likely thet only one ever to notice it.

Do you use glue??

BTW, lately I've been charging an extra $15 to clean outside of the glass, ps thats not my ladder, customer already had one for me.. and he took this pic... The way I see it, its like making $3.50 per minute.

jpy83r.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reps for the tape on your shirt. :evilgrin I do that too..

As for the corners...while I haven't used DR-35, I have had other lulu films not lay properly. Sometimes due to me, sometimes due to weather conditions. I'll use a dab of superglue if it's not major. But if it's something that will stick out like a sore thumb, I'll just redo the window.

-R

Guest RCOOTE

haha.. sometimes I get home and have tape all over the friggen place...

I have some pro bond at home. Customer is cool with it. It is down, and told him if it bothers him, I'll redo. This is the first time for DR35, I use this film, 90% of my jobs.

Thanx Roach

Guest FilmBlazer

First the film looks great and so does your appearance. My mentor always told me "You are seen long before you are ever heard." Very professional :evilgrin

As for the CDF corners not laying. I pretty much use just CDF.... If you're having issues with corners not laying down its because the film needs trimming or you creased the corner during your cut. Most likely the latter. If this happens, let the film sit and dry for a short period and come back with a diamond tip, chizzler or hard card of choice to hammer it down. Usually it turns out fine. The metalized films will be more susceptible to corner creasing, I.e. R35, R20, DR35, DR15.

Just let it dry like you did and they will usually go down no prob :thumb Pro bond will help but I doubt it will ever be worth the hassle. I have been told a touch of clear nail polish will do the trick but I've never tried it. Usually if the crease is that bad the window should be redone. Looks good, nice work on the app, I love Llumar's DR series :cool

Guest FilmBlazer
Corner peeling is usually from creasing it while trimming. Corner creasing seems to be more prone when using a 5 way. Get you a diamond hard card, I find this an awesome tool for corners on flat glass http://www.44tools.com/merchant2/merchant....Code=TeflBondCD

The wide end of a 5 way tool works well to if you can get the technique down for angling in just right. Its difficult to explain the method I use. I use the pointed portion of the five way tool to come in from the outside of the window frame. Almost as if you are aiming for the frame of the window.... if that makes sense :evilgrin That diamond card will be nice for tight corners and trapezoidal angles for sure not to mention hammering down creases and final inspection water bubbles. :thumb

Guest RCOOTE

Thank you for the tips. I do use the white diamond. not the 5 way tool.

I think I creased it too.. It's a very small corner lift, like 1/8", just that it happened and its a 60" window so I left it. But It did lay down, after 1/2 hour I tried again and it stuck, so its not lifted now, but it bugs me, and this has happened before.

Any ways, I just got off the phone with the custy, and he referred me to his neighbor. NICE :evilgrin:thumb:cool

And, if you are onsite and don't have the right tool, make one.... MacGyver style! I've taken a hardcard and used my knife to cut it to fit smaller corners or whatever when I didn't have anything else that would work. Kindof hackish, but hey... it works. :evilgrin

-R

Archived