My snafu intro

Hello everyone in SNAFU,

I just wanted to introduce myself in a little more detail. I have been tinting for almost 2 years now. I am in a good situation where I do not have to rely on window film for my income. I am in Yukon OK and work at the FAA as a Training Course Evaluator. I sit in on FAA classes and monitoring them for accuracy in many different areas. All these issues with Southwest and American are of great concern right now. Amazing that things have gotten to where they are. Anyway back to my tinting experience.

I started out using global HP and added QDP to what I offer. I have learned with the HP and am most comfortable with it. I also recently purchased some advantage raven 1.5 and have tried their HP films. I like how the Advantage shrinks. Much easier for me. However, I do like the looks of the global better. I do all of my tinting mobile or out of my garage and am getting it set up as a pretty decent little tint shop, except for the area that has all the items for a garage sale that I dont know when will hapen but hopefully soon. Not that you care about the extra stuff in my garage. Anyway I have been here (at TD) for awhile and don't really know alot of people here, although it pains me to say "willie" was very helpful early on a couple years ago when I needed help. He may not even know that but he was. whew thats done. Every car is a new learning experience for me.

Anyway my very first car I did for a customer which was a friend and very understanding took about 14 hours and I 6 attempts at the back glass. I now have a 4 door car in the 4 hour range and keep getting better. I only do friends family and referrals right now. Just not readly to open to the whole market out there. I think I need to be a little better before that. I am getting there though. I thouroughly enjoy tinting and slowly am working towards it being a bigger part of my livelyhood.

Sorry for the long post. This site has been very valuable to me.

a tool that allows you to swedge more better?

that is not a tool I have used or at least not with that name attached to it. My aviatiion background is as an electrician and I also have been in adult education for most of my adult life. So that is how I came to be at the FAA.

I did google swedging tool though. This is the closest thing I found for a definition.

A hand tool is provided for swedging female seams of standing seam roof panels. The tool includes a handle and a seam-engaging structure. The handle and seam-engaging structure can either be integral or in two pieces. The seam-engaging portion has first, second, and third substantially planar surfaces with the first and second surfaces making an acute angle with respect to each other, and the second and third surfaces making an acute with respect to each other. When placed in operative association with a female seam having an end edge and first and second bends, the seam can be "opened-up" by effecting bending at the second bend, while not disturbing the first bend or end edge. To open up an entirely closed seam, the hand tool is placed at an endlap location and is impacted with a hammer to move from the endlap position to a more mid-seam location, and swedging is then effected.

Not something I have used before and if I have seen it in use did not know what it was.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

A friend of mine that is an A&P airline mechanic had lost the tip of his finger while using a swedging tool. I don't know if I am spelling it right.

I have never used or seen one knowingly. It sounded more like a mechs tool rather than a techs tool but regardless I was able to find a little on it with the spelling you gave. Sorry to hear about your buddy losing part of his finger. Ouch

Archived