Remove and replacing on large plate glass

Am quoting a remove and replace job. Did the original job at least 15 years ago. Biggest panel is 87x 112. It's always a little hairy tinting these when the windows bow out from being pushed on. Just wondering if anybody has broken a big panel during removal? Here in the north, we're usually working with much stronger insulated units. The removal process appears to be a delicate operation. Does anyone have any experience removing old film from large plate glass windows? Anybody ever break one during removal? Appreciate any helpful information from your experienced past. Thanks.

Guest vclimber

If that glass is annealed, you had better think this one through real carefully. Someone could lose a limb or even get killed if that glass breaks. :thumb

If that glass is annealed, you had better think this one through real carefully. Someone could lose a limb or even get killed if that glass breaks. :thumb

Not saying it can't happen - but have done lots of removals (mostly annealed) without any breaks.

Guest General Sun Shield

Not saying it can't happen - but have done lots of removals (mostly annealed) without any breaks.

:thumb

I'm definetly worried about the safety of doing the removal. That's why I'm asking. It's an old storefront that doesn't meet today's code. The glass would have to be tempered to meet current code. While I always quote high when my life is on the line, that has always meant ladder or scaffold jobs. In 22 years of filming, this is the first time I've encountered a removal job that looks a bit dangerous. Thanks

Guest General Sun Shield

I removed a few on larger panels like that that had some really old nr film with ps adhesive.

I made 6 inch "scores" in the film with the olfa and then removed the film in strips.

When I went to remove the adhesive I used a smaller 4 inch scraper vs. the 6" Triumph and used very little presure.

It took forever but it got done. Being carfeful and going slow I think it can be done.

You may have to scrape the window 5 to 10 times but thats where the price comes into play.

But I also agree with V ,sometimes if you feel uncomfortable with a situation it IS better to rethink the job.

I have also, :thumb

Unger makes a 4" scraper that works well on that type of situation.They used to have two size handles ,a green plastic handled one and longer aluminum handle one that I use mostly . The only windows I've broke in 27 yrs are small panes (dang I shoulnt have said that :thumb )

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will sweat off :thumb