Remove and replacing on large plate glass

Guest fisherman

Try sweating the old film off with liners and simple green. Reinforce the outside of the lite with packaging tape or scrap security film. Charge appropriately. Good luck.

Guest windowpimp

ru guys dry scraping off the adhesive,,, if so yuck... try a product called rapid remover.. orange based solvent.... easy peasy..once you get the film off the glue is easy with lite scraping ive even used just a gold squeege, and it'll lift of the adhesive.... ive also heard of a product called tint off..

OK, got purchase order for this job today. Actually getting more to remove film from 5 windows, then I am to put on new film. I used to use sweating when I did R & R on car rear windows, but it always worked best with sun. These windows are ne and nw with limited sun. The film is a llumar with a cdf adhesive, so it will be bonded tightly to the glass. Will sweating help or be a waste of time? If necessary, I will be experimenting on a couple of my own windows at home, so, if you've sweated flat glass panels with cdf, let me know how it worked out. Otherwise, I'll let you know what I learn on my own windows. Thanks folks.

Guest vclimber
OK, got purchase order for this job today. Actually getting more to remove film from 5 windows, then I am to put on new film. I used to use sweating when I did R & R on car rear windows, but it always worked best with sun. These windows are ne and nw with limited sun. The film is a llumar with a cdf adhesive, so it will be bonded tightly to the glass. Will sweating help or be a waste of time? If necessary, I will be experimenting on a couple of my own windows at home, so, if you've sweated flat glass panels with cdf, let me know how it worked out. Otherwise, I'll let you know what I learn on my own windows. Thanks folks.

No it won't work on CDF. Razor blade and brute strength is the only way to go in your situation -ime.

Guest FilmBlazer

V is correct. I have not found a solvent yet that touches CDF. Sweating, rapid remover, simple green; the only thing they will do is offer a better smell than the sweat coming off your body :please SOMETIMES on certain glass types (Don't ask me why) a large portion of the adhesive comes off with the film. I hope this is the case for you in this instance. Good luck AL :bingo

I would seriously consider cutting this into strips as someone else mentioned. If the film is removable in one sheet be very cautious! It puts a massive strain on the glass with that CDF adhesive.

Edited by FilmBlazer

These windows are ne and nw with limited sun.

That might actually work to your advantage... I've found the film comes off *slightly* easier on windows that have been baked by the sun for years....

Guest siberiamichigan

..this will be tuff.I would like to add the strip cutting helps but be sure to use stainless blades and cut as light as possible...could leave scarring.

Hate when it happens this way. Job finished. I assumed the worst (cpf) but got best case scenario. Old bronze film came off in big pieces, adhesive easily taken care of. And, for some reason, I don't feel guilty about making 900 bucks for a 3 hour removal (corporate job for cell phone co). Probably would have felt guilty if it was a homeowner. But then again, I would have tried to talk them into removing it themselves. Guess I'm too old to feel guilty about anything anymore.

Guest Eric O'Driscoll

I have 4 old store front glass panels that I have to remove. They're 110"×96" ish. 

2 have already broke in the wind. Scary. 

Huge shards of life ending pieces. 

Anyways I need them gone but don't know how to even start. 

Honestly I'm thinking I'll smash them into the building with a block/brick and clean up carefully like the 2 that blew in. 

Any help greatly appreciated