? about pulling gaskets

Guest socaltint1

Guest socaltint1

Maybe this is why the business I was working for went under...but I was never taught anything about pulling gaskets or rubbers. :thumb

Ive been reading alot about gasket pulling lately on here and am wondering if I was making things more difficult by apparently leaving the rubbers on. So here are my questions:

Do most installers actually remove the vertical and horizontal rubber trim surrounding the windows? If so, HOW?

and second...

How in the heck do you install film without pulling door panels?? Ive pulled the door panels on every car Ive done. The only logical way I can see to install the film that way is to somehow use a tool to almost bend the door panel back on itself and then slide the film in.

Anyway, this site is awesome. I havent been here very long, but I check this everyday and the wealth of information amazes me. Ive learned more here than I did from "my old boss." Thanks again.

:thumb:thumb

There are so many variances on install depending on who shows you what, many tinters do not remove gaskets and can perform installs that are amazing. Others cannot, it all takes practice. I watched several members on here do installs when on a road trip. They peeled the liner back on the top portion of the tint, left the bottom 4" unpeeled and installed the top section of the tint, rolled it up then tucked the tint under the gasket with a tool. Very quick, clean and saves time from pulling gaskets. I have been practicing it and used it on several cars with nasty gasket setups and it worked out great.

I would talk to Flatrockstan on here, Mr. Rogers has some great videos available.

I typically remove gaskets but I dont want to anymore.

:thumb

There are so many variances on install depending on who shows you what, many tinters do not remove gaskets and can perform installs that are amazing. Others cannot, it all takes practice. I watched several members on here do installs when on a road trip. They peeled the liner back on the top portion of the tint, left the bottom 4" unpeeled and installed the top section of the tint, rolled it up then tucked the tint under the gasket with a tool. Very quick, clean and saves time from pulling gaskets. I have been practicing it and used it on several cars with nasty gasket setups and it worked out great.

I would talk to Flatrockstan on here, Mr. Rogers has some great videos available.

I typically remove gaskets but I dont want to anymore.

:thumb

I've been "jamming" tint for years. I leave the liner on, tint the top, roll up then slip my jammer tool behind the window rubber, lift the film, spray and flip the film and slide it on down. Faster than anyone can say, jimminysnicket!! :thumb Does take lots of practice. :thumb Annnnnd I also get the film down behind the second window rubber when they have them. Imagine that!! Hmmmmm.........

figure out which cars can that the "sweep" can be snatched up in like 2 seconds like the newer cryslers, and most of the pontiac cars..... I have not looked back since I found out how many can be just snatched out. Alot of the cars will be able to pull the rubber all the way around the door also....just have to look at them and figure out how to see it.....

I will take a few minutes to ensure a cleaner install.....

Guest willie
figure out which cars can that the "sweep" can be snatched up in like 2 seconds like the newer cryslers, and most of the pontiac cars..... I have not looked back since I found out how many can be just snatched out. Alot of the cars will be able to pull the rubber all the way around the door also....just have to look at them and figure out how to see it.....

I will take a few minutes to ensure a cleaner install.....

I agree it depends on the car :thumb

When I first started, the guy who taught me pulled all panels. Thats the way I learned. After a few cars I said f this theres got to be a better way. lucky for me my teacher got fired and a new guy that left panels on got hired. The rest is history. Most cars can be done with panels and seals in place. I roll the window down and lock in the top then roll the window up and spray peel the liner and lift the film up and slide my hardcard behind the seal and tuck the film behind the gasket.

Guest tdmillet
Maybe this is why the business I was working for went under...but I was never taught anything about pulling gaskets or rubbers. :beer

Ive been reading alot about gasket pulling lately on here and am wondering if I was making things more difficult by apparently leaving the rubbers on. So here are my questions:

Do most installers actually remove the vertical and horizontal rubber trim surrounding the windows? If so, HOW?

and second...

How in the heck do you install film without pulling door panels?? Ive pulled the door panels on every car Ive done. The only logical way I can see to install the film that way is to somehow use a tool to almost bend the door panel back on itself and then slide the film in.

Anyway, this site is awesome. I havent been here very long, but I check this everyday and the wealth of information amazes me. Ive learned more here than I did from "my old boss." Thanks again.

:lol2:beer

I JUST TUCK THE GASKETS DOWN AND WHEN FINISHED WITH THE WHOLE CAR I ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS AND FLIP THEM BACK UP EASY, QUICK AND CLEAN. :beer

Guest socaltint1

Ok ok thats making some sense...ill have to give it a shot. I havent tried the spray peel. I dont have enough SKILLZ yet I dont think. :beer

Archived