Johnson Ceramic Insulatir and Radio issues

Guest TX_Twister

Guest HeadOn
FYI - So it turns out that the Johnson Insulatir ceramic tint has issues with the BMW keyless entry system. My compliments to them as a company, however. When I called Johnson's they researched the problem and confirmed the issue. They immediately said they would call the installer and refund the money so I could have the tint removed.

So it looks like I will be going with the Formula One Pinnacle series.

Wish me luck ;)

Which model and year BMW?

I'm compiling a list of reported interference issues here:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43024

2008 BMW M3. Electronics affected: Comfort Access (Keyless entry) and key fob remote (distance that the key fob remote would work was reduced).

I'll post on your other link as well.

Cheers.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HeadOn

Tex_Twister - here are some updates that should help confirm your experience.

1. I was sold the Insulatir as a ceramic tint that would not cause issue with radio waves or electronics.

2. After installation I experienced immediate problems with my BMW's keyless entry system.

3. I asked the installer if there should be an issue (to confirm). Again they said no.

4. I called Johnson Films directly and described my issue. They confirmed that the film was not compatible with my BMW's system and immediately offered to pass a full refund back to the installer to repay me (or in this case BMW).

5. I did further research and got very good reviews about the FormulaOne Pinnacle tint with no issues with BMW's keyless entry system. I called FormulaOne directly as well and spoke with their technical advisor who reiterated that the Pinnacle series would NOT have any issues with electronics.

6. Closer examination of the install done by Sun Tint revealed the following issues - fairly noticeable and fairly significant ghosting (to my way of thinking) on the back and sides (~30%). Additionally, the interior surface of the film showed fairly obvious scratches (but only under some extreme lighting - in this case shining a flash light from the outside at night) - no idea if that is normal or not.

I don't really fault the installer, as I really don't believe they were trying to deceive me, but they don't have the experience I would have expected with this product.

Net, net - I am getting the FormulaOne Pinnacle product installed by Sun Busters and I feel confident it will be a better product for my needs.

Cheers.

I just got a new 08 Camry Hybrid tinted at a 'very reputable (in business for > 10 years a ' local' shop here in Austin Texas). I spent the extra $ and went for a ceramic tint - Insulatir (Johnson Films). It ran ~ $400 for the vehicle. The XM radio pickup is inside of the back window (odd choice for Toyota? could this be the Kentucky connection ?? ) so the concept of a film that is NOT metallic and will not cause reception issues is important. 1st they did not have the film I had discussed on the phone with them ? We discussed the IR-30 film on the phone the previous week. They said that that the IR-30 film was too reflective from the outside and chose not to carry that film for cosmetic reasons ? (hmmm). So I settled for the IR-40 film that they actually still carried. Not ideal but OK. I would have liked a darker tint ideally. They did not carry any other ceramic films so options were limited. With the IR-40 all the way around, the rear window almost looks lighter than the rest of the car. Being that I am here in Texas I went with the ceramic film to get the max heat rejection for the dog days of summer. After picking up the car I checked out the AM radio reception and XM radio reception and low and behold - it was crappy ? The sat now drops out when I drive next to large trees (did NOT do this before the tint) and I actually lost 3 preset AM radio stations that I had purposely dropped in prior to the tint to test the 'ceramic' reception issue. After reading all about Formula One pinnacle and the HO films I am pretty sure but not positive that the ceramic films should work with the car but I am not sure? It would really suck to waste any more time in getting tint installed and not having the new car work 100% with the film choice that I make.

The owner of the company has been very cool and has offerred to take the film off and refund my $. Originally the sales person only offered to either retint the car with another non metal film (they also carry SunTek films) or redo just the back window with another film (not cool especially with the IR40 on the sides - light film and I think it might be hard to match the color / look with the limited film selection these guys have). Like I said the owner was OK with a full refund. I am still trying to decide what to do and have a few questions for you experts -Like I said - I am a nube when it comes to the tint deal.

1) Did these guys just throw a metallic film on the car and not the ceramic ? The sales person is adamant that the film is the right one but how the heck do I know short of watching the install and making sure that the film is the right one? How can I tell ?

2) If this is Ceramic film will I also have this issue with all / any other ceramics ? HO or F1 - Pinnacle ? There is another larger shop in town that carries both Formula, HO and other films (Also large in San Antonio). I am considering HO-30 or Pinnacle 30 side / 15 or 30 back.

3) Should I go with a non ceramic / non metal film to be sure to not have issues with reception ? How much heat rejection am I giving up ? IR rejection blah blah blah (Is it all just marketing hype?). Texas law is min 30's on the sides and any on the backs.

4) The rear window with the IR-40 has issues at night with flare associated with headlights behind me ? Will this resolve as the film cures ? It seems that the light is refracting on each of the defrosted / antenna wires ? Is this an issue with all the ceramics ?

5) What is 'ghosting' ? is this a huge issue with the metals ? Would

TeX

Guest HeadOn

The Formula One people are amazing. Just based on the customer service and follow up (I keep missing their call - but they are being very helpful and thorough in helping me make a good decision) I highly recommend the brand.

Cheers!

Guest vclimber
I called FormulaOne directly as well and spoke with their technical advisor who reiterated that the Pinnacle series would NOT have any issues with electronics.

Was his name "metint?" :bling:dunno

Sounds like you are heading down the right road. Enjoy.

OK so I will close with a final posting on this one ! (Yep I am the same one that started this thread). The Formula one Pinnacle ceramic tint worked like a CHARM ! Fantastic job - no ghosts ... AM radio reception is perfect as is the XM radio (well as perfect as XM is). I actually found out the place that my dealer uses to tint cars and went with them. I am a VERY happy customer - Sorry it took so long to get back to the team...

Austin Texan

It's good to see folks with every day cars fancy high[$$$] TSER films. I bet those films are a hit in your state...It is good to hear real positive feedback on this film. It is the best CP film they make.. one day I hope they sell it to me so I can give it a review.

Archived