Clearest UV Film?

Guest sdguy

Guest sdguy

I only want UV film for my driver side window to protect against the skin cancer that everyone in my family seems to get. Is there a film that's clear enough to not look ridiculous if I don't add it to my other windows?

Also, I see statements all over about the UV protection of laminated glass, anywhere from wikipedia stating that it blocks 99% of UVA from 300-320nm to the Enhanced Protective Glass Automobile Association listing standard laminated glass blocking up to 95% of UVA and UVB. Then I read somewhere on this forum that it blocks only 80%, does anyone have the real info on this? Thanks.

Guest darkdan

Those with a UV meter have tested it for us and shown windshields stop about 80% of UV light. Of course, most likely the deepest penetrating UVA is what is getting through (the most dangerous part).

Most companies offer a UV clear that is truly clear. Some are a bit darker (down to like 75% VLT). Talk to your local tinters tos ee what they carry or tell us your location and see if someone is near you.

Also, if your law allows it, you may as well go with a darker film to enjoy the other benefits of the film.

Guest sdguy
I only want UV film for my driver side window to protect against the skin cancer that everyone in my family seems to get. Is there a film that's clear enough to not look ridiculous if I don't add it to my other windows?

Also, I see statements all over about the UV protection of laminated glass, anywhere from wikipedia stating that it blocks 99% of UVA from 300-320nm to the Enhanced Protective Glass Automobile Association listing standard laminated glass blocking up to 95% of UVA and UVB. Then I read somewhere on this forum that it blocks only 80%, does anyone have the real info on this? Thanks.

Oops, make that wikipedia states that it blocks 99% from 300-380nm

Guest sdguy

Thanks for the reply Dan. What manufacturers do you recommend for quality and clear films? I think I saw that UV Shield goes to 85%, is that truly clear? Does 3M have a good, clear product. Also, I live near the coast, so I'm guessing that films without metal is the way to go?

Guest darkdan

It all comes down to your budget and wants.

A metal film like V-Kool or the Huper Optik Select line wouldn't be a good idea, but regular metal films would be alright.

Naming brands and films is pointless at this point if your local shops don't carry it. Otherwise I'm going to get you hooked on something and you'll have to drive 4 hours to closest guy that has it.

Call or your local shops or tell us what city you're in and we might have a member here that can help you.

Guest sdguy

I'm in Encinitas, CA, just a little north of San Diego. My budget isn't great, which is why I'm trying to get away with just the driver's side window. I called a place today and they quoted me $40 for the one window, does that sound about right for a decent film or will it be low quality?

Guest Sunlimited

$40 sounds cool to me,call them back and find out what kind of film it is, they should be able to answer any questions you may have about the quality of the film...

Guest Litespeeds

$40 is cheap for 1 rollup window. I would recommend going with the Llumar UV Shield as that is the clearest LEGAL film that you can put on your driver's window. Since it is basically invisible, you will not need to tint the other windows of your car because nobody will ever know it is there. It doesn't really do much for heat rejection, something like solar energy rejection of 14% but it does offer 99+% UV rejection.

Archived