!llegal Front window tinting

Guest Tintim

Guest potzy
Just been informed by my supplier that a window tinter close to me has just been fined £1000 for fitting 50%....thats all I know ??

I had a customer get stopped on there way to a modified car show in Cardiff a few weeks back, the rolling road block type, he had 50% on the

fronts but measured well below that and had to remove it then and there or have the car taken off the road. The old bill pushed him hard to find out

who tinted his car (gulp) the driver told him hes had it done since 2002 ( which was about right ) and been stoped dozens of times for one thing or another

bur never a mention about his windows. It seems to me that the police are now clamping down HARD and are going to go after the tinters...or so it seems and I know this is nothing new to us here but im sure things are going to change with local fuzz and trading standards taking this very serious.

Hey Potsy

Very interesting - kinda new it was coming. It would be good if you could find out more about the £1000 fine. On some cars 50% can meter below the magic 45%.

I still see far too many brand new cars with really dark front window tints and I still think this is what is causing the problem - but as long as people are willing to pay someone will always do it.

Tim, il do some more digging around and see what else I find out mate. I had a guy phone for a quote only last week, befor I get to the technical jargin I always explain the law and ask if they of aware that the front drops cant be done what so ever and go on to explain the VLT thingy, they bloke on the phones says " thats ok, im a traffic officer and I understand fully" he gose on to say that he called 5 tint companys in the area getting quotes for his Mazda 6 estate and I was the only one to say that the fronts cant be done point blank but the others were quite helpful and willing to fit a light smoke, anywho, I tinted his car Monday, (YES no fronts) we had a long old chat about tinting and put the world to rights, it seems, in this case anyway it pays to be truthful and honest...most of the time. Tim, if you want the full length version just give me a call as I cant be assed to type it all...itl take me hours and my spellings pants. :thumb

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nik Sandars@Bonwyke
Just been informed by my supplier that a window tinter close to me has just been fined £1000 for fitting 50%....thats all I know ??

I had a customer get stopped on there way to a modified car show in Cardiff a few weeks back, the rolling road block type, he had 50% on the

fronts but measured well below that and had to remove it then and there or have the car taken off the road. The old bill pushed him hard to find out

who tinted his car (gulp) the driver told him hes had it done since 2002 ( which was about right ) and been stoped dozens of times for one thing or another

bur never a mention about his windows. It seems to me that the police are now clamping down HARD and are going to go after the tinters...or so it seems and I know this is nothing new to us here but im sure things are going to change with local fuzz and trading standards taking this very serious.

Hey Potsy

Very interesting - kinda new it was coming. It would be good if you could find out more about the £1000 fine. On some cars 50% can meter below the magic 45%.

I still see far too many brand new cars with really dark front window tints and I still think this is what is causing the problem - but as long as people are willing to pay someone will always do it.

Tim, il do some more digging around and see what else I find out mate. I had a guy phone for a quote only last week, befor I get to the technical jargin I always explain the law and ask if they of aware that the front drops cant be done what so ever and go on to explain the VLT thingy, they bloke on the phones says " thats ok, im a traffic officer and I understand fully" he gose on to say that he called 5 tint companys in the area getting quotes for his Mazda 6 estate and I was the only one to say that the fronts cant be done point blank but the others were quite helpful and willing to fit a light smoke, anywho, I tinted his car Monday, (YES no fronts) we had a long old chat about tinting and put the world to rights, it seems, in this case anyway it pays to be truthful and honest...most of the time. Tim, if you want the full length version just give me a call as I cant be assed to type it all...itl take me hours and my spellings pants. :bdog

Hey Potsy

Tim, il do some more digging around and see what else I find out mate. I had a guy phone for a quote only last week, befor I get to the technical jargin I always explain the law and ask if they of aware that the front drops cant be done what so ever and go on to explain the VLT thingy, they bloke on the phones says " thats ok, im a traffic officer and I understand fully" he gose on to say that he called 5 tint companys in the area getting quotes for his Mazda 6 estate and I was the only one to say that the fronts cant be done point blank but the others were quite helpful and willing to fit a light smoke, anywho, I tinted his car Monday, (YES no fronts) we had a long old chat about tinting and put the world to rights, it seems, in this case anyway it pays to be truthful and honest...most of the time. Tim, if you want the full length version just give me a call as I cant be assed to type it all...itl take me hours and my spellings pants. :bdog

The law is the law and we cant change that... stick to this and you will not go wrong -however its still down to the individual law enforcement body to take the appropriate action, be it the driver or tinter.... I personally have not heard of any tinter being fined yet but it not to say ithas or will happen. I agree with CustomKay to some extent, as there seems to be some confusion or a case of a mixrd message between the Police and Vosa - or it is the way VOSA word it?

My only other thought is how the tint will affect the driver insurance if they become involved in an accident where the tint contributed towards it... no rep from any supplier should quote anything but what is the law...its down to the tinter to decide what he or she is going to tint...the buck stops here.

Guest mattstronguk

read here.

Immediate prohibitions should only be issued in cases where window tints are very dark (below 30% VLT). Delayed prohibitions should be issued for less heavily tinted windows (30%-50% VLT) and the police and VOSA should generally only point out non-compliance with the law in the less serious cases (50%-70% VLT). However, these are merely guidelines and the Police/VOSA have discretion to decide for themselves what action is appropriate in particular circumstances.

Guest walestint

sureley a pointless thread that will go on and on

we all know the law

its down the the tinter if they want to break it and by how much

:bdog

Guest Suncs

ok when you strip tint dont you leave adhesive so bad that your visibility is bad? so aint it stupid for a cop to make you take tint off :bdog:

Guest Tintim
sureley a pointless thread that will go on and on

we all know the law

its down the the tinter if they want to break it and by how much

:bdog

Point is police activity is increasing on this. I have had further news on it this thursday with one of our Landrover dealers saying they has a bulletin from Head Office stressing that no front side window tinting should be taking place. They wanted to know what we were doing for other Landrover dealers. Clearly this is an issue at present.

Hey Potsy I'll buzz u next week.

Archived