roll cut

Guest villy.skov@gmail.com

Guest villy.skov@gmail.com

Hello, do you know if it is possible to cut an entire roll of window film in one cut, without rolling it out and back in?

I have seen a machine cut a folie at once, but it is possible to cut window film with standard hand tools?

Regards Villy

Guest CleanCutter

well.... yeah.... of course...

how do you think they get 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 48" rolls of film?? They aren't made in that size (and not to mention half of them have a lousy factory edge on one end or the other)

you need a roll slitter.

I suppose you could use an incredibly fine toothed circular blade like for ceramics and stone and cut it that way too. Haven't tried it, but would not be shocked to see that it worked. I use them to cut pretty thin brittle acrylics no problem when making certain signage.

When a film is rolled, it doesn't act like just a thin sheet of tint but rather a very thick gauge of plastic. Just make sure to cut in the direction of the roll - not AGAINST IT! otherwise, the film would try and unroll from the pressure of the blade passing through it. Cut WITH the roll direction and the film would actually try and tighten up even more with the pressure. Wrap tape all the way around the roll in the spot you want to cut it, that should help with starting a clean edge.

gotta think these things through son... aint nothin' complicated.

Archived