tint industry going further in the hole

in my area there are a bunch of haacks trying to start they're biz by lowering prices. these are guys who work out of our they're garage, whatever! its ruining the market! I had a long time employee quit and comeback and quit again last week. He doesnt know that I know he has started to start his own tinting biz, he accidently dropped a biz card he carries trying to steal customers or whatever. im sick of this industry already. I have no idea how this "union" is going to stop all this :thumb

I know we all have to find a way to make a living, but come on!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/aos/643520451.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/aos/643614339.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/aos/649376340.html

help me flag these guys. they are at a location we previously were. witha similar name

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/aos/645850901.html

What an idiot... WHY would you charge less (even if your overhead is lower or next to nothing) when you CAN get the same price as anybody else. I feel for you, luckily up here it isn't quite as bad. Basically what it shows is that guy just wants to make a little more than he is now, and doesn't have the drive or interest to make a large scale run of it for the long term. An idiot who's thinking short term cash... :thumb

just because they work out of their own garage, dont make them a hack, sorry

doing the ol' half of what the market rate is, imo, qualifies though

cutting back and lowering overhead is smart today with this economy

and as far as your employee going out on his own, thats why I dont want employees, I dont want to be training future competitors, if the guy is gone again, dont hire him back again, ever :lol2

Whats worse, is when you have a shop in a highly visible location, on the main drag in town, with a bunch a employees, and is the biggest hack, uses the cheapest crap, and hires the local crack heads to mutilate vehicles and steal out of peoples cars.

Who gives the tint business the bigger black eye, this hack, or a guy who has a shop at home with competitve prices, does good work, and uses high quality films with customer service that is second to none. :thumb

We all have to fight the local hack shops, and I feel your pain if you feel like you are training some of them and they are trying to spin your name

Guest willie

and as far as your employee going out on his own, thats why I dont want employees, I dont want to be training future competitors, if the guy is gone again, dont hire him back again, ever :thumb

Whats worse, is when you have a shop in a highly visible location, on the main drag in town, with a bunch a employees, and is the biggest hack, uses the cheapest crap, and hires the local crack heads to mutilate vehicles and steal out of peoples cars.

Who gives the tint business the bigger black eye, this hack, or a guy who has a shop at home with competitve prices, does good work, and uses high quality films with customer service that is second to none. :lol2

We all have to fight the local hack shops, and I feel your pain if you feel like you are training some of them and they are trying to spin your name

Well said easy :hmmm

At the rate the economy's going the smartest move is for people like me to get away from the 3500.00 a month overheads :lol2

and as far as your employee going out on his own, thats why I dont want employees, I dont want to be training future competitors, if the guy is gone again, dont hire him back again, ever :rollin

Who gives the tint business the bigger black eye, this hack, or a guy who has a shop at home with competitve prices, does good work, and uses high quality films with customer service that is second to none. :rollin

:shock:evilgrin:rollin

You can call code enforcement on them, some neighborhoods aren't zoned for businesses and if they are, there are guidelines that need to be followed....

It's my guess that, they more than likely, do not have a license to formally do business and probably aren't in an area that will allow it anyway... :evilgrin

I had to call code enforcement on the people next to my shop, they did not hook up to city sewer like they were supposed to, every time it rained a lot

the drainage ditch smelled like sh!t from their overflowing !llegal septic tank.... Finally the city made them hook it up...

My advice to you, tint, is this. When the guy who quit again gets slow on his own and wants to come back, you tell him to pound sand. Even if you are busy as hell, never let him back into your shop. If he is doing htis behind your back, how much has he already stolen from you when he is in your shop. If you hire anyone in the future, consult a lawyer and get an ironclad non-compete contract drawn up. This can state that you are giving this person training and knowledge that has a monetary value and, if they decide to leave, cannot work or start a competing business within a certain radius for a specified time or they have to pay you for the training. Manufacturers charge for it, so you can too.

and as far as your employee going out on his own, thats why I dont want employees, I dont want to be training future competitors, if the guy is gone again, dont hire him back again, ever :rollin

Who gives the tint business the bigger black eye, this hack, or a guy who has a shop at home with competitve prices, does good work, and uses high quality films with customer service that is second to none. :evilgrin

Couldn't have said it better..I've worked out of my home for 25 yrs now ..has been for me personally the best business decision (economically)I've ever made (it's not for everyone) I'm not a "hack" because I work out of my home HOWEVER , the difference between me and many that do work out of thier home is that I don't give my services away..in some cases I'm a bit cheaper than competition, sometimes more expensive than competition, to be honsest , I don't really care what competition charges anymore. I charge "shop rates " because I have a tinting bay rather than a garage here..just so happens to be on MY property rather than making a landlord rich. It's nice in the off season because it's one headache expense I need not wory about.

TINT, I feel for you, competition is tight and lowballers everywhere but it's the risk you take when having overhead and having employees .

A question to ask yourself..would this employee that worked out well for you till he left still be considered a "hack" if he left you and worked for the competition ..or went on his own and got some space in a high end stereo shop /accessory plac with a good deal on a workspace? The frustration is really about a good tinter that figured out a way of charging less yet making just as much or more...that's why I don't hire out (unlike the best marriage..most likely it isn't till death do you part)all you can do is forget about it and focus on yourself :rollin

You further distance yourself from those guys. You raise you price higher and provide better business. You promote the possitive side of your business, length of time in business, have employees, etc.

Guest Texstar
You further distance yourself from those guys. You raise you price higher and provide better business. You promote the possitive side of your business, length of time in business, have employees, etc.

:evilgrin and quit whinin about it.

You seem like you need a pick me up :rollin

Archived