"spidering distortion"

I have tried both Global's QDP and Johnson's Greystone. While I like both, I have noticed that if you do not use it straight out of the box, when you do go to use it the film develops a very fine distortion pattern that resembles spider web fine lines in all different directions. We cut the patterns from a plotter the night before and throw it on the truck the next morning for installation. If we use the pattern the next day, we usually have no problems. But if we end up using the pattern a week or two later... Voila! Distortion. We keep all previously cut patterns dry so I am sure moisture is NOT the problem. We DON'T have the problem with Bekeart or CP Films and so we are using them and not the other two. I have already sent film back to Global and they credited my account, but I can't afford to do this all the time.

I really like the look of the QDP, but nothing is more aggrevating than getting to the dealership to do 10 cars only to discover that the patterns are all distorted. Since it is happening with 2 differnet manufactures (and only these 2) I was wondering if anyone knew what is causing it. I am certain it is nothing I am doing, because if it were I would have already seen it on Bekeart's and CP's by now.

So, has anyone else had this issue? If so, what is your theory as to what is causing the distortion? I am inclined to think it is in manufacturing, but then again if that is the case these two would get slammed here - and that is not happening.

When film is rolled up on a normal roll, it seems to develop a "memory" of the amount of curvature, and when it's rolled tighter or looser, the liner pulls away from the film. I use Johnson film and don't get problems when I roll up smaller pieces into tight tubes, but when I leave it laying flat it will sometimes have tunneling issues.

As for why some brands do and some don't, well that's probably because of different types of adhesive, or different levels of silicone on the liner. :eyebrows

Archived