No hiding place for UK car window tinters

ukcop.jpg

Police have fined 17 drivers in one morning in a crackdown on tinted windows.

Thames Valley Police has bought 11 new 'Tintman' devices as part of efforts to reduce the number of accidents.

The gadgets, which cost £600 each, measure the transmission of light through a surface.

Yesterday morning (April 15) up to 15 road safety officers were out and about across Milton Keynes spotting drivers whose windscreens and front side windows were tinted.

The vehicles were then taken to the Hockey Stadium, Central Milton Keynes where the windows were tested using the devices.

Seven drivers whose vehicle windows let less than 30 per cent of light through were given a £30 fine and their vehicles were prohibited from being driven on the road until the tint was removed.

... He added: "This crack down is happening across the country as in 40 per cent of all fatal and serious accidents one of the main causes is that the driver did not see.

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/mknews/DisplayArticle.asp?id=307286

Guest Tintim

ukcop.jpg

Police have fined 17 drivers in one morning in a crackdown on tinted windows.

Thames Valley Police has bought 11 new 'Tintman' devices as part of efforts to reduce the number of accidents.

The gadgets, which cost £600 each, measure the transmission of light through a surface.

Yesterday morning (April 15) up to 15 road safety officers were out and about across Milton Keynes spotting drivers whose windscreens and front side windows were tinted.

The vehicles were then taken to the Hockey Stadium, Central Milton Keynes where the windows were tested using the devices.

Seven drivers whose vehicle windows let less than 30 per cent of light through were given a £30 fine and their vehicles were prohibited from being driven on the road until the tint was removed.

... He added: "This crack down is happening across the country as in 40 per cent of all fatal and serious accidents one of the main causes is that the driver did not see.

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/mknews/DisplayArticle.asp?id=307286

Hey TD,

Good find

This is what I was refering to in a previous thread. Just surprised there has not been more response from UK tinters. This kicked off in 2004 then calmed down - I've been noticing more dark tints on the road so knew it was only a matter of time b4 it happened again.

Guest Revolution

it has been going on long before the 2004 'amendments' to legislation, police set up these roadside checks and dependent on who stopped you, mostly those happy motorbike type, you had to rip the tint off at the road side, even 35% film way back in 1998!

I was based in the UK for 14 years, and the sad fact is that non of this will stop the !llegal tint guys, it will only impact on you, the ones trying your best to play the game and fit light films to fronts, which in the end makes no difference what so ever to the tint meter reading officer, if its below 70% its !llegal, thats what he is governed by.

all we did for the later 2 years of our time in England was watch 3 totally couldn't give a flying fig businesses set up and get real successful off the back of us not doing any darker than 50% fronts, and ironically they set up after 2004 and to this day are still at it.

I have heard of this company and that company facing prosecution but its all BS to keep us worried.

we consistently informed VOSA nad the police to the activities blatantly going on by us at the time but as I say to this day not a thing has been done, no doubt too much red tape involved.

thats my friday afternoon rant done. :thumbdown

This is what really gets up my goat with this business....no accountability.

The sooner policing authorities get "fair dinkum" with their local window film law enforcements and hit tinters and tint shop operators right in the hip pocket where it really hurts with huge fines, then sooner the better.

Typical world over of this non professional industry that is run like some backyard hack game.

Rant too over.

Devil with bad attitude today.

Archived