How do manufacturers sell to states with strict laws

want2modmygt

I've been wondering what the difference is on this. My question can be applied to any state like PA, FL, etc. Only the states that have VLT limits on every window. So MI is out on this one.

in short, here's the situation:

Shop owners in some states (ie: florida) can get fined for installing film, or sued by people for installing the film on cars that dont comply with state tint laws, because it's !llegal, and too dark... A waiver doesn't suffice here. Shop owner is liable.

Manufactureres aren't liable for anything because on the box of film, it basically says that they dont want the film installed illegally.

My question is this... Florida doesn't allow any darker than 15% on any window according to the TD list of state laws. So, why isn't a manufacturer also liable for any incident involving tint as a cause? I see it as the manufacturer knowingly sold someone 5% film, even though the state's law doesn't allow 5% in any case.

To me, this is the same situation as a tinter knowingly installing !llegal film. Manufacturers knowingly (key) sold !llegal tint to an installer, who therefore, installed it illegally.

anyways, it just seems like it would be !llegal for a manufacturer to sell tint to a state like florida, or PA especially with their ROUGH tint laws. I feel bad for you guys.

probably a stupid question, but, I'm not sure what the laws say about this, and figured id ask.

Guest Thetintcenter

Good Question! 6% film can be installed on Limo's and on the any window behind the front row on MPV's (multi purpose vehicles) in Florida. So manufacturers can legally sell the film to the shops. It is the owners responsibility to enforce the laws not the manufacturers. Here is a crazy example. It is !llegal to make bombs but it is legal to buy fertilizer, so is it the maker of the fertilizers fault if someone misuses their product? Probably Not! :twocents

Here is a crazy example. It is !llegal to make bombs but it is legal to buy fertilizer, so is it the maker of the fertilizers fault if someone misuses their product? Probably Not! :twocents

Well, making bombs with fertilizer is using the product for something other than it's intended purpose. last time I checked, automotive window tint's purpose was to be installed on cars ;) :rollin

I see what your saying, but I still feel like mfgr's still have a role in this, since they're knowingly selling film to a state that's laws dont allow for it. :lol2

Guest tintgod

why to they have car that go over the speed limit..its against the law to do it..and if someone does it..and gets a ticket..are they going to sue the car manny?

why to they have car that go over the speed limit..its against the law to do it..and if someone does it..and gets a ticket..are they going to sue the car manny?

no, but they're also not going to sue the dealer they bought it from, or the guy that sold it to them. :twocents

can you put 5% auto window film on single pane glass on a business?..or older homes with single pane glass?

how many people have? why market it as "automotive" then? another question I would have for mfgr's is do they have warranty cards for illegally tinted vehicles, based on individual states tint laws? good example though. I didnt think of that angle :twocents

Good Question! 6% film can be installed on Limo's and on the any window behind the front row on MPV's (multi purpose vehicles) in Florida. So manufacturers can legally sell the film to the shops. It is the owners responsibility to enforce the laws not the manufacturers. Here is a crazy example. It is !llegal to make bombs but it is legal to buy fertilizer, so is it the maker of the fertilizers fault if someone misuses their product? Probably Not! :twocents

He is saying it is legal to put it on some vehicles!

As far as I know manufacturers leave all these issues with installers. They just make - and print in all their materilas that they are non-responsible for !llegal installation.

And that's right. Anything can be used legal or !llegal. You can buy knife to cut cheese, but some people can kill using this knife. And manufacturer or supermarket can't be responsible.

IMHO.

Archived